Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 18-07-2017, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Seems from posts..that Midlands to Wales is over 2 hours...is the Yorkshire Coast nearer?..There is someone on hidden valley in Welshpool, might be worth looking at..
2.5 hrs from Stafford to Mach according to Maps on iPad but that sounds a lot as we get from Oldham to Mach in 3 hours and I don't think I could get to Stafford in half an hour!
The people we know from Codsall say 2 hours without a stop.
The Yorkshire coast is quite a big area and on the opposite side of the country from Stafford.

Old 18-07-2017, 17:47

Hello Caroline , we're in Bala , quite a few sites round here all fitting your requirements , Some folk from Stafford on our site as well , think it's up to a 2 hour drive for them . Number 6 whereabouts in Oldham ? , I'm Failsworth.
Old 18-07-2017, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Hello Caroline , we're in Bala , quite a few sites round here all fitting your requirements , Some folk from Stafford on our site as well , think it's up to a 2 hour drive for them . Number 6 whereabouts in Oldham ? , I'm Failsworth.
I'm in Shaw, Lived in Failsworth for a while about 40 years ago on Poplar Street 'twixt the Lamb and the Cloggers!
Old 18-07-2017, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
we have just purchased our van at cringoed park caravan site, we are from bromsgrove and also were looking for a 2 hour travel time, the site sells new vans direct and some great savings are there to be had, i am only saying that for us the site is great, not too big but also not too small, there are new and used vans, site opens 1st march to mid december, site fees inclusive of rates are less than 2200, the owners have a hands on approach and the site is kept very tidy and had a separate ball play field and the swings slide area with various wooden structures and benches set around the site, it is 14 miles to mac, 24 miles to Aberdovey and 20 miles to north, lake clewdog is down the lane a few miles, and the mountain road from there to mac is a great ride we do either to or from mac back to the site, we love it, worth a look in my opinion.
Thanks for all the details - Cringoed certainly sounds promising. Another one for the list!
Old 18-07-2017, 20:16

We tend to use the A34/A51/A55 if thetraffic is heavy. We usually travel after 6pm on a Friday and have very few problems and travelling from Stafford is even less time than us.
Treetopper, the Yorkshire coast (even that part that's nearest to us) takes well in excess of 2 hours to get to and that's without the traffic
Old 18-07-2017, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungalowBel View Post
We are from Wolverhampton and can thoroughly recommend our site. Travel time 2.5 hours. In Snowdonia National Park at Prenteg, in between Porthmadog and Beddgelert.

Maybe more expensive than you suggest at 3k+ but so worth the money. Eleven month season (closed January).

https://www.aberdunant.com/
Thank you, will take a look
Old 18-07-2017, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Seems from posts..that Midlands to Wales is over 2 hours...is the Yorkshire Coast nearer?..There is someone on hidden valley in Welshpool, might be worth looking at..
Sadly the Yorkshire coast is too far, 2 hours only gets us as far as Leeds. I'm fairly sure that from where we are we couldn't be any further away from the coast if we tried!
Old 20-07-2017, 20:46

Thank you to everyone for all the helpful suggestions. Off to look at some sites this weekend as the search begins!
Old 20-07-2017, 21:09

Good luck with your search. Hope you find what you are looking for x
Old 23-07-2017, 22:03

Just back from a lovely weekend looking at sites in Wales. Not sure if this is right place to ask a follow up question or if I should post a separate thread, but we were surprised by some of the site agreements we've seen so far. A number of sites had no written agreement at all, whilst others are really vague and non specific about how future increases in site fees would be calculated. Is this common practice and does anyone have any experience of what should or shouldn't be acceptable?

Any help appreciated - we've seen some lovely sites but don't want to agree to something with such a long term financial commitment if it's not clear what might happen in the future.

Caroline