Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 23-07-2017, 14:39

Default First timer. Needing a little help.

Hi all,

If your reading this then thank you, we have pondered buying our first family caravan for the past 2/3 years and are ready to make the plunge, haha, ideally we would be looking for something upto maybe 4/5 year old and 6/8 berth, We have a site in mind that we have grew up with (NW England) that meaning only 2/3 hours from home and the full extended family love this site, few questions im looking at answers for.

1. Are site fees costs negotiable? On site seen to range from 3500-6000 exc water, gas, electric, insurance etc. depending on area only but is there haggle room?
2. Buy from site or off site? I think I know the answer to this from looking at prices for a while but is there any benefit from buying on site?
3. If buying off site what is needed and questions needing asked to seller?
4. Being an air conditioning engineer and owning the business I would be installing wall systems throughout the caravan as they provide heating and cooling so im not too fussed about CH but want double glazing.

As mentioned above this will be our first caravan home and will be for family and friends only so any help or advice even if not asked will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
David

Last edited by daviethom; 23-07-2017 at 14:50.

Old 23-07-2017, 16:54

David.
I am new to this too. Bought my first caravan about 6 weeks ago.
I have found that if you buy from a site there is some wiggle room on price of caravan. My site fees are free till next February.
If you buy a caravan off site then you have to pay for transport & connection etc etc.
If there's a site you like then you would need to ask them what their site fees are. Everything varies from site to site. Doubt there would be room for negotiation on site fees except for maybe free for first year.
Others will no doubt be more knowledgeable than me but that is my experience. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 23-07-2017, 16:55

Also got my insurance, new carpets included in the price too
Old 23-07-2017, 17:04

I doubt site fees negotiable except what you can negotiate with the price of the van , a lot of sites don't allow you to bring your own van on so you would need to check that , if they do they will probably charge you a fee typically one years ground rent plus connection, siting and delivery costs. Buying on site would give you some warranty - check this . If you don't get ch , check where you would put the wall systems to make sure there is space for them. Also decide on the 6 or 8 berth , do you need a 3rd bedroom , if it's only going to be used on the rare occasion get a 2 bed and let the 3rd bedroom stayers sort themselves out.
Old 23-07-2017, 18:46

Another thing to check if you are fitting heating or air conditioning is the maximum amperage to each pitch. Some of our pitches are 10 amp only & some 17 but unless it has a residential section, you are unlikely to have anywhere near a normal household supply. most people that use any kind of electric heating have to play the "what do I need to turn off before I can turn this on" game. In most caravans you cant use an electric kettle and a microwave at the same time so its turn of all the heating before you turn make a cup of tea etc.
Old 23-07-2017, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviethom View Post
Hi all,

If your reading this then thank you, we have pondered buying our first family caravan for the past 2/3 years and are ready to make the plunge, haha, ideally we would be looking for something upto maybe 4/5 year old and 6/8 berth, We have a site in mind that we have grew up with (NW England) that meaning only 2/3 hours from home and the full extended family love this site, few questions im looking at answers for.

1. Are site fees costs negotiable? On site seen to range from 3500-6000 exc water, gas, electric, insurance etc. depending on area only but is there haggle room?
2. Buy from site or off site? I think I know the answer to this from looking at prices for a while but is there any benefit from buying on site?
3. If buying off site what is needed and questions needing asked to seller?
4. Being an air conditioning engineer and owning the business I would be installing wall systems throughout the caravan as they provide heating and cooling so im not too fussed about CH but want double glazing.

As mentioned above this will be our first caravan home and will be for family and friends only so any help or advice even if not asked will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
David
1) I've never heard of site fees being negatiable, other than the fact the site may throw in a free year or 2 when you buy. Some sites charge an additional premium if you buy a van privately on the site rather than from the site itself. The site may also charge different fees relating the the position of the van, ours has 3 different rates, but again you can't negotiate this.

2) You say from looking at prices you know the answer as to whether to buy on on site or off and ask if there is any benefit to buying from the site. The question should perhaps be, will the site allow you to bring on a van, especially an older one. Not many do, this is why the private sales you see online look so good because people often can't find anywhere to put them. You should always check with your preferred site first if they will allow 'bring ons' and if they do what they will charge to to bring on a van and connect it up for you, this can be a couple of thousand pounds.

3) See above , few sites will allow you to bring on a van and if they do you need to check with the seller who pays for the transport of the van to your site, again this can be quite expensive. With a private seller you may not get a guarantee which the site will give you if you buy from them. If things go wrong with a private sale you may have no comeback on a private seller, if they're not a dealer, 'Caveat Emptor', let the buyer beware, it could be an expensive mistake to make.

4) As has already been said, there may not be enough room in the walls to install a heating system or the site electricity may not be sufficient for the system. Given the choice I would go for factory fitted central heating and double glazing. If you make any significant changes to your van and then decide to sell you may find the site or any dealer will not give you even the book price for your van. They will often not buy vans that have been substantially changed, had walls removed, fitted furniture removed, or a different heating systems installed.

We have a 3 bedroomed van so when the children and grandchildren come we can sleep up to 8. Yes this makes the bedrooms smaller, but as we only use them for sleeping, this isn't a problem for us. When it's only hubby and me there we use the smaller room as a dressing room.

I'm not trying to be negative and hope I haven't put you off, we love our caravan, it was the best thing we could have bought, hope your buy goes just as well.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 24-07-2017 at 15:08.
Old 24-07-2017, 12:54

For us no negotiation on sites fees. No buying off site and bringing on. If you have a long season I would want CH and double glazing the walls aren't deep and I would worry about devaluing a newer van by changing things too much. You might be able to get a discount off next years fees as it is near the end of the season and they can include this years fees. Nothing to lose by asking

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 24-07-2017, 12:55

to the forum.

I think your questions have been answered. The point regarding power supply is different on most sites. We have a good supply on our park but still not the same as in your proper home, so as has been noted, check with your park before deciding on what you are going to do about fitting panels.

You didn't mention the park you were thinking of going on. Please share as we in the North West, may have information on surrounding parks.