Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 18-08-2017, 11:05

Default New to this

Hi I'm new to this so would appreciate any help.

I've been looking at statics and been on Auto-trader. I have seen loads of caravans for sale in Hull who also deliver in England. Most of the caravans are made there. If sites do not normally accept 'bring ons' then how do these Dealers make their money and where do people put them.

I would be willing to pay 'set up' fees, then realise they would supply the decking at a cost. Is it just a case of phoning round sites to see if they would accept them.

I would accept any help as help is what we need.

Dunkers

Old 18-08-2017, 12:44
Supporting Member

Hi Dunkers, sorry I can't help with your questions but if your using the net to look for statics try gumtree , I look every day just out of curiosity and find it much easier to use than auto trader. Mind I'm sometimes tempted as there are sometimes some very good looking deals on it
Old 18-08-2017, 12:46
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkers View Post
Hi I'm new to this so would appreciate any help.

I've been looking at statics and been on Auto-trader. I have seen loads of caravans for sale in Hull who also deliver in England. Most of the caravans are made there. If sites do not normally accept 'bring ons' then how do these Dealers make their money and where do people put them.

I would be willing to pay 'set up' fees, then realise they would supply the decking at a cost. Is it just a case of phoning round sites to see if they would accept them.

I would accept any help as help is what we need.

Dunkers

Hi to the forum. As a personal opinion I wouldn't buy from a dealer for a number of reasons. There are a number of threads on here about sites that take bring ons, but there aren't a lot that will. Many of them will not take a van older than 5 years and they may charge different fees if you do not buy from them. If you add up the transport costs, siting fees, cost of deck (could be 3-4 thousand) you may find it just as cost effective to buy a second hand one from a site, already set up and with a deck. Most sites will give some form of warranty with a van you buy from them and if you have any problems they will help with them, you wont get any help for a van they haven't supplied.

A lot of vans sold by dealers are the ones that have had to be removed from their sites because of their age and in that case you won't get any other sites to take them. Many are sold to go on private land or to be used on building sites.

You could ring round in your chosen area to see if you can find a site to take bring ons, but I don't think you'll have much luck, especially with an older, cheaper van.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Last edited by Bells64; 18-08-2017 at 14:13.
Old 18-08-2017, 12:56

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 18-08-2017, 13:01
Supporting Member

Bring ons are usually relocation of your van from one holiday park to another not from a dealer. Parks like to supply their own vans because it's part of their income. You can't expect to buy a van at trade prices then have it put on a holiday park.
Ask these dealers to find a site for you, they probably won't be able to.
Old 18-08-2017, 15:32

It would be a van for probably 2/3 years old, not an old one
Old 18-08-2017, 15:41

Good rule to follow , is find the site first , then the plot and lastly the caravan , because the caravan you buy might not be suitable for the plot ..depending on seating arrangement / Windows and if you find the site you love you will then find out if they allow bring ons or not
Old 18-08-2017, 15:53

Thanks again 🤗🤗🤗
Old 18-08-2017, 18:36

if you find can find a site that you like and find a caravan at a dealers its worth approaching the site owners as they will probably have a deal with the dealers and be able to get the van at a discount sometimes the discount they get will pay for the delivery /connection fees i know some private sites will do this by past experience, holiday sites will probably not but its worth asking.
Old 19-08-2017, 06:51

to the forum.
There are lots of parks and some will allow you to take a van that you purchase privately. Be prepared to pay a premium for the pitch and connections also transport.

You have had good advice from slattster. Park, pitch, then van.

Good luck with your search. Sometimes patience is required but don't give up.