Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 17-02-2018, 13:20

Default Advice Please

We have had our van since June last year but only yesterday went it to measure for new items etc then was told the 3 pce suite was probably brought in through the windows as the van was built so we will not be able to take it out ! Jan my wife was upset as she had her eye on a new bed settee and chairs.

Is it safe to have a washer fitted in the kitchen as opposed to having it outside, due to the weight on the floor. We will have to have the integrated freezer removed, possibly have to move the integrated fridge to where the freezer was (as it is nearer the sink water pipes).

Cheers

Dave

Old 17-02-2018, 14:30

If you have a free standing 3 piece suite at the moment, did you want to remove and also sell? If not and would have scrapped it, can't it be broken down and taken out through the door/s? You would though obviously need to make sure you can get the new one in ok

I would check with the manufacturer regarding a washer, I have heard in the past that flooring has often been reinforced where a washer is placed, if fitted as standard by the manufacturer. That's not to say you could not possibly strengthen this area yourself?
Old 17-02-2018, 14:52

[QUOTE=DJMotorhomer;171532]We have had our van since June last year but only yesterday went it to measure for new items etc then was told the 3 pce suite was probably brought in through the windows as the van was built so we will not be able to take it out ! Jan my wife was upset as she had her eye on a new bed settee and chairs.

Sounds like you bought the wrong van last year as these are quite major disappointments. Space and measurements can be very deceiving. Also you are trying to make a "home" out of something intended for holidays. A quart into a pint pot?

I can't comment about the changes to the kitchen we couldn't even contemplate that even though our van is very spacious. However, if you are intending to scrap the suite then you can just strip it and chop it up?? Regarding replacing it with something else, there are many furniture companies that make/sell furniture that is part assembled so the sections are built to go through doorways and narrow passageways etc. but you will have to spend time searching around for the right one - lots of measuring. Its not just a problem for folk with caravans, many modern homes have difficult access on stairs etc. We didn't think we could get 2 large 3 seater sofas into our lounge because we had changed the front door arrangement and installed central heating radiators etc. since moving in a number of years ago but we accidentally came across a showroom of a chain store where they had sofa's on display that came in a variety of shapes and sizes but in sections that hooked together. We explained our problem and salesman told us that basically if we could walk into the house and through the doorways, they could get the things through and assemble the furniture. AND they did. We have 2X3 seater leather sofas with 2 reclining seats on each. Also the bed part of a sofa bed is often packed separately for delivery because of weight and bolted in place afterwards.

Remember to measure carefully as modern upholstered sofas & chairs are very deep front to back compared with most caravan furniture. Folk often decide not to change because of the extra space they take up.
Old 17-02-2018, 14:56

We have decided to keep the suite and the other is larger !!, but we do want the washer inside, why pay upto 600 for a metal shed to put it in.

Dave
Old 17-02-2018, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
We have decided to keep the suite and the other is larger !!, but we do want the washer inside, why pay upto 600 for a metal shed to put it in.

Dave

Apart from the washer having/needing a solid base, they do take up a lot of extra room inside the van as well. If I put one in our van we would lose too much important cupboard space, so for me ours would be best outside and out of the way. I would probably not buy a metal shed either, I would buy or build something made from timber
Old 17-02-2018, 15:23

We are only allowed to have metal sheds etc outside, wood or plastic is prohibited.
We would not be losing storage space as it is only the freezer we are removing.

Dave
Old 17-02-2018, 15:26

Quote:

Dave
That's 1 thing settled Dave. I sympathise over the shed cost. Have been looking at getting a small chest freezer to put outside our van. Cost of storage locker for it would be 4/5 times as much as the freezer! Now trying to find space somewhere inside van to put a mini worktop freezer as not much free worktop space. We have loads of open floor space but not cupboards that could be adapted.
Old 18-02-2018, 14:55

Quote:
We have had our van since June last year but only yesterday went it to measure for new items etc then was told the 3 pce suite was probably brought in through the windows as the van was built so we will not be able to take it out ! Jan my wife was upset as she had her eye on a new bed settee and chairs.

Is it safe to have a washer fitted in the kitchen as opposed to having it outside, due to the weight on the floor. We will have to have the integrated freezer removed, possibly have to move the integrated fridge to where the freezer was (as it is nearer the sink water pipes).

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave, first the sofa, would it not be possible to get it out if you removed the door? You would need to measure the opening without the door to see if it would fit. If so, it shouldn't be too hard a job but would need two people to get the door off and on safely.

We have a washer dryer and a dishwasher in ours, so if you have space, I would say yes, it's possible. Just make sure that the floor is secure enough.

Good luck.