Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 30-03-2018, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul BK View Post
Well thats it. I'm moving from a caravan with res I spec and trace heating to a lodge with the same except it has Canexel and is bigger. And the big one, 25 year licence instead of 15.
The important information is, is it manufactured to BS3632 2015 standard for lodges built after October 2017 when the specification was changed by law or BS3632 2005 for lodges built prior to October 2017. That is what you need to ask. It's not the name that matters but the specification that it needs to be built to.

If a lodge was built to BS3632 2005 standard it will not have the same thermal qualities as the newer BS3632 2015 spec. There is no comparison between a van built to BS EN 1647 caravan standard and BS3632 2015 standard.

Last edited by Mosquito; 30-03-2018 at 11:31.

Old 31-03-2018, 18:32

Management on our park said that a lodge must come in two parts that are joined together when siting. Anything that comes as one complete unit is a caravan regardless of what the manufacturer calls it. Carnaby are fond of calling their caravans lodges.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Management on our park said that a lodge must come in two parts that are joined together when siting. Anything that comes as one complete unit is a caravan regardless of what the manufacturer calls it. Carnaby are fond of calling their caravans lodges.
Even if it comes in two halves, it is still a caravan.
Always interesting to see easy it is to wind up residential park home dwellers by telling them it is a caravan.
Some have even written to the local council to ask them to stop calling us a caravan park.
Council responded by sending council tax and electoral roll letters with the words CARAVAN SITE in capital letters in the address
Personally, I can think of more things to get excited about than the legal definition of my home - (which is a caravan).
Old 01-04-2018, 10:31

I’m with firefly , I would say , you can tow a caravan , I have a static caravan and if it comes in 2 halves it’s a lodge.
Old 01-04-2018, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
The important information is, is it manufactured to BS3632 2015 standard for lodges built after October 2017 when the specification was changed by law or BS3632 2005 for lodges built prior to October 2017. That is what you need to ask. It's not the name that matters but the specification that it needs to be built to.

If a lodge was built to BS3632 2005 standard it will not have the same thermal qualities as the newer BS3632 2015 spec. There is no comparison between a van built to BS EN 1647 caravan standard and BS3632 2015 standard.
Yes that was my consideration as although it is new it is a 2015 lodge. Mind the u value is still only 0.6 so it is very good, but the new spec has even more insulation. To be honest my caravan was well insulated and warm enough and this has more again with Rockwool insulation and e glass

Last edited by Paul BK; 01-04-2018 at 15:30.
Old 01-04-2018, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
Even if it comes in two halves, it is still a caravan.
Always interesting to see easy it is to wind up residential park home dwellers by telling them it is a caravan.
Some have even written to the local council to ask them to stop calling us a caravan park.
Council responded by sending council tax and electoral roll letters with the words CARAVAN SITE in capital letters in the address
Personally, I can think of more things to get excited about than the legal definition of my home - (which is a caravan).
The way I see it, there is one major difference between a static caravan and a lodge, besides one being a larger unit than the other, and that is price: lodges often cost considerably more. Caravan manufacturers give buyers the option of having better insulation in their static caravans. Our van had the improved insulation. For me it was all about space: did we need it? We decided we didnít, so bought a static instead.

I get what you mean though about them all being caravans.
Old 01-04-2018, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
The way I see it, there is one major difference between a static caravan and a lodge, besides one being a larger unit than the other, and that is price: lodges often cost considerably more. Caravan manufacturers give buyers the option of having better insulation in their static caravans. Our van had the improved insulation. For me it was all about space: did we need it? We decided we didnít, so bought a static instead.

I get what you mean though about them all being caravans.
I didn't need the space of a double lodge so have bought a single. With the price of new higher end caravans rising so much, to get a single lodge, with a longer licence, was a far better deal and a a better quality unit.
Old 01-04-2018, 18:16
Forum Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Iím with firefly , I would say , you can tow a caravan , I have a static caravan and if it comes in 2 halves itís a lodge.
I agree. Caravan is a caravan. The word lodge added to it is just an excuse to increase the price hehe (unless in two halves)
Old 01-04-2018, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckspares View Post
I agree. Caravan is a caravan. The word lodge added to it is just an excuse to increase the price hehe (unless in two halves)
Why does being in two bits make a difference? It's a lodge if it's res i spec ,looks like a lodge, is called a lodge and of a decent size. The price increases due to the quality and features. Cheap caravans are cheap caravans.
There is no comparison between my caravan and the lodge .
Old 01-04-2018, 18:49

If itís called a lodge by the manufacturer then itís a lodge but to my mind if itís a single unit then itís a caravan .... some caravans are a higher spec than others , if it arrives in 2 parts itís a lodge ... some lodges are higher spec than others .