Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 17-02-2016, 21:36

Question First Visit At Start Of Season

Obviously, personal choice ...

But just wondering ... on opening up at start of season, do you have a run up first to take up bedding, essentials etc. Before staying ... Or just pile in and take what you can on initial stay over?
We really emptied ours and now have a mountain of things to go back

Old 17-02-2016, 22:43

We left a lot of our stuff at the van and what we did bring home we could probably pile it in the car. Saying that, we have a couple of jobs to do at the van while the water is off, so an early visit first to sort out the work needing doing and hopefully have everything ready for our first break of the season

Our van is only just over an hour from where we live, so no real hassle visiting first and getting things ready.
Old 17-02-2016, 23:24

Default First visit of season

We leave most stuff in van all winter. Pack bedding, towels and other cloth items in vacuum bags or thick plastic bags. If they are free of moisture they will store OK and smell fresh. Mainly bring home Winter shoes and winter clothes. We don't keep items of value in van at any time.
Looking forward to our first trip of the season very soon.
Old 18-02-2016, 01:45
Banned

We brought most things home except for television tinned food ect put aerosols in shed and packed duvet /pillows in vacuum pack bags hopefully when we return all will be ok
Old 18-02-2016, 09:17

When we eventually get our van we will be driving from Spain with the car fully loaded with items that we initially will need. Some of the items will stay at the van such as bedding towels and other items but we will buy other items whilst we are there and bring home the ones we replace.

I don't want to arrive at the van and immediately have to go out hunting for things that we need. WE would be bound to forget important items or not be able to find them.
Old 18-02-2016, 09:50

We just go up air the van out, clean everything but take most things up the following week
Old 20-02-2016, 15:00

We load up and go for it! In the past the van has always been really dry. I make the beds up and leave the electric blankets on low for the rest of the day. We got a new van last year and I'm hoping all will be well despite the everlasting monsoon. Just hoping we will have some sun and warmth this year!
Old 20-02-2016, 16:28

We brought everything home and washed and ironed it. We then put it in thick bin bags and took it back to the caravan for the winter. We will have to restock the food cupboards, hoover through again and polish everywhere,make up the beds and air them with electric blanket and hot water bottles. I have a new hoover and TV to take up. We used to keep all the bedding etc at home during shutdown but found it was easier to store it back at the van as there was more room. It is hard work to get the van up and running again but I can't wait this year.
Old 20-02-2016, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
But just wondering ... on opening up at start of season, do you have a run up first to take up bedding, essentials etc. Before staying ...
A lot of stuff stays up there, we had a run up this week and made the beds up with the bedding that has been living at the top of our airing cupboard for the last few months, Im off up next weekend to bleed the water system and drain up in daylight, reassemble the toilet cisterns and also install the new Freesat box in place of the Sky box. I'll possibly tidy the cable installation too for that.
Might run some RG58 cable to the bedrooms if the weather isnt too bad as well and tidy that under the van ( cable tie to the chassis).
This year I want to fit an outdoor tap, I have a kit ready but need some 15mm flexi and insulation to run it to where I want the tap to be. I need to have a sort out under the van too as I dont think I really need three lots of outdoor tables.
Old 20-02-2016, 19:18

We bring all the bedding down at the end of season and wash it and keep it in the house during the closed season. I usually take it all back up the week before the site opens and bring all the curtains down for a wash and take them plus the TV's back the first day of the season.