Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:09

Default Gold Star 2006 Pemberton Verona

Thinking of buying the above, its on a nice site with swimming pool etc. open all year & yearly fee is reasonable.

But the price, they're asking £21k. Does have central heating, double glazing & a smallish decking area. I would make an offer around £20k, but still think its a bit steep.

Are they durable caravans & would it be worth anything in 10 years when I would get rid of it.

If anybody has any experience of this model, or a comparable model, their advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Old 07-04-2018, 10:31

Price of van will vary depending on site , if itís on a site with lots of facilities then you will pay more , does that price include the site fees for a year ? Pembertons are considered one of the best if not The best caravans , it should last another 10 years . It will be worth next to nothing in 10 years and I would guesstimate that if you sold it next year you would get lass than half your money back so make sure you are happy with the site and the pitch.
If your happy and want it make the offer I am no expert but after a quick google the price looks reasonable.
Old 07-04-2018, 16:07

I think your questions have been answered. Buying a static is an investment in lifestyle but a poor financial ivestment.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:08

Thanks for the answers,they're pretty clear, both of them. So what I will do is factor in £20k over 10 years, which is a cost of £2000p.a, plus of course the site fees.

I'm visiting the site in about 4 weeks & I can come to my conclusion then.

By the way I was on this site a year or so ago because I bought a van & the seller absconded without paying commission to site owner, who then increased my rent to compensate. It ended badly, I sold at a loss.

On the site I'm visiting there is a set fee payable to to site owner (only about £1000) but I will make sure its paid.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:26

Good luck with this one Sean , not nice when someone gets cheated and bad on the park owner for taking it out on you ....that’s got to be illegal. I think you are quite rightly going to be very wary about your next van .
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanleflem View Post
Thanks for the answers,they're pretty clear, both of them. So what I will do is factor in £20k over 10 years, which is a cost of £2000p.a, plus of course the site fees.

I'm visiting the site in about 4 weeks & I can come to my conclusion then.

By the way I was on this site a year or so ago because I bought a van & the seller absconded without paying commission to site owner, who then increased my rent to compensate. It ended badly, I sold at a loss.

On the site I'm visiting there is a set fee payable to to site owner (only about £1000) but I will make sure its paid.
As the van is 12 years old,does it come with a 10 year licence ?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:02

Not aware of any licence, can you explain. Do you get a 22 year licence if buying a new van?

I will certainly inquire if that is the case.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:33

Some sites only allow vans on for a certain length of time usually up to a certain age of the van .
Old 09-04-2018, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanleflem View Post
Not aware of any licence, can you explain. Do you get a 22 year licence if buying a new van?

I will certainly inquire if that is the case.
We get 20 year licence on new van...Most sites give 15 ..if your site give 15 ,you would only have 3 years so 20k is a lot ...
Old 09-04-2018, 16:40
Supporting Member

Our park is 15 years from when caravan is new, ( not new to its latest owner ).
After 15 years on site, you either upgrade or you are off.
Every park should issue you with a license, detailing the length of time your agreement lasts
as well as other important matters.
Very important you get sight of the license agreement before entering into any arrangement.
The matter of ď Our park offers an annual renewal after the license period has expired and it depends on the condition of the van etc. etc. ď, Is generally not worth the paper itís written on.
The park can be sold to a new owner and suddenly any security you thought you had outside of an official license has most certainly gone.
Be careful and good luck in getting it all right for you.