Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 15-04-2018, 19:30

Default Plants for pots

Just wondered if anyone has advice for sort of plants/ shrubs suitable for pots or planters.
We plan to visit our van weekly throughout the season but there will be some weeks when this isnít possible.
Any ideas for hardy plants that could survive without too much watering.
Donít know anyone ( yet!j that can water for us.!!!

Old 16-04-2018, 10:23

If you have an outside tap or can fit one, you can buy a cheap watering system. they can fit directly to the tap and can be set to come on at a certain time for a defined period each day.

I feel it would be a better option than relying on someone to come and water your plants every day. Any good garden center will sell them. The most popular is Gardenia. You should also be able to find them on Amazon or Ebay.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:10

I've been looking into plants suitable to be left for times without watering often, the ones suited to drought seem the best. I found a website that gave quite a few, but basically the plants with silvery foliage are the ones that cope the best.
https://www.thompson-morgan.com/drou...sistant-plants
https://www.gardens4you.co.uk/index....sistant-plants
https://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/dr...olerant-plants
I only use tubs and containers at home and have no problem growing any plants, so should be able to find suitable ones for our 'van for drought/full sun - it will be our first spring and summer too. I have "inherited" 3 plants from previous owner and they've survived the snow and waterlogging so far....a succulent, a heather and a bromeliad of some type I think (no green thumbs here... lol).
Hope this helps.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:05

drought - full sun. Sounds like a good case for lavender - there are several varieties, all seem to cope well with most conditions (including snow and ice) and,if you are near the coast, salt air does not trouble them. Plus the bees love it.
Old 16-04-2018, 19:10

Thanks for the suggestions.
Will try out some ideas.

Will have to ask OH about possibility of outside tap!!!
Old 16-04-2018, 20:45
Supporting Member

Hydrangeas are brilliant, survive on little water, I have 5, all in larger pots as the ground in Holyhead is mostly rock, so too hard to dig!
Old 16-04-2018, 23:25
Supporting Member

Depends a lot where your site is. If its on the coast things might dry out more. We have garden and many tubs around our static and things survive pretty well despite being left for 2 weeks sometimes. We have no outside tap but put the 2-handled plastic tubs under the rainwater drain pipes. Tuck under the van as have no side decking.

We find lavenders, hebes, roses, azaleas, heathers, etc. do really well but we have several others that we bought cheaply in the DIY shops as in need of TLC. Almost all have survived. We always layer our tubs and pots. Put daffodil bulbs in deeply, then plant shrub, then some flowering plants around it. Violas seem tough - but not pansies as they tend to go to seed if neglected and go very stringy. Snapdragons are very colourful and flower for months as long as you chop the dead heads/seed pods off. They start mid-season and flower into winter. Can cope with all weathers including dry and frosty etc. We also scatter little bulbs - like anemones in between - and the odd packet of quick growing seeds. By doing it this way we have some things flowering throughout the year. Once established they don't need much attention apart from watering when we visit and extra soaking before we leave in drier weather, a bit of trimming and dead heading. Geraniums in large plant pots or troughs look good and are pretty tough - but can't cope with frost. We are now into our 6th year with the static and have enjoyed our garden throughout.
Old 17-04-2018, 11:47

Thank you so much for all that info.
Really good idea about planting the bulbs deep in pot.

Hoping to get started this weekend so watch this space!!!
Old 17-04-2018, 22:16
Supporting Member

Hi, I find the water retaining crystals very good, I use them in potted plants in my garden every year
Littlefb