Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 16-04-2018, 09:59

My son came yesterday but he was busy doing some jobs for me. I'm at his home all day today so hopefully, I will remember to ask him what parts he has used and where he bought them from. I seem to remember that the two small bits of kit he used inside the van, he had purchased some time ago.

Old 16-04-2018, 11:58
Supporting Member

Hi Mosquito. The aerial on the outside of your van is to extend the sites Wi-fi into your van. I have more or less the same setup. It ensures you get a full signal inside your van (after all it is a tin box and will shield against Wi-fi signal) and although you get a good signal, we are still at the mercy of the sites limited Wi-fi and all the people that stream from the signal.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbirty View Post
Hi Mosquito. The aerial on the outside of your van is to extend the sites Wi-fi into your van. I have more or less the same setup. It ensures you get a full signal inside your van (after all it is a tin box and will shield against Wi-fi signal) and although you get a good signal, we are still at the mercy of the sites limited Wi-fi and all the people that stream from the signal.
Maybe your site can find out who is streaming?
Old 16-04-2018, 13:42

Basically my idea is to get a 4g directional antenna mounted on the pole outside pointing towards mast, connected to 4g router indoors, insert a SIM card with all you can eat data plan and connect phones etc to that
Old 20-04-2018, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitFelix View Post
Cheers is there any chance you could find out the make of equipment you're using
Hi, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. OK, My son can't remember which Wi-Fi panel antenna he used. There are several on the market and I suppose they all do the same job. It would be one of these two.18DBI or 24DBI. It's approximately 12 to 14 inch square in size and it's coloured white plastic on the front and a silver metal backing. the Router is, Alpha Networks R36 and the Wi-Fi adapter is also Alpha Networks.

He bought them online but not from Amazon. If you google the main components you should get the results that you need. Of course, you will need the correct cable and a suitable pole, plus brackets. There are two small brass part which comes with the panel which needs to be connected to either end the cable. they can be crimped on or soldered. The first one my son tried to crimp on and it broke even though he was using the correct tool. He purchased another one and soldered them. That worked fine.

I hope this helps. You should be able to find the information on how to fit the equipment online.

Last edited by Mosquito; 20-04-2018 at 08:20.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Hi, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. OK, My son can't remember which Wi-Fi panel antenna he used. There are several on the market and I suppose they all do the same job. It would be one of these two.18DBI or 24DBI. It's approximately 12 to 14 inch square in size and it's coloured white plastic on the front and a silver metal backing. the Router is, Alpha Networks R36 and the Wi-Fi adapter is also Alpha Networks.

He bought them online but not from Amazon. If you google the main components you should get the results that you need. Of course, you will need the correct cable and a suitable pole, plus brackets. There are two small brass part which comes with the panel which needs to be connected to either end the cable. they can be crimped on or soldered. The first one my son tried to crimp on and it broke even though he was using the correct tool. He purchased another one and soldered them. That worked fine.

I hope this helps. You should be able to find the information on how to fit the equipment online.
Thanks for that I'm currently down at my van now, and with the router just sitting at the window I'm getting around 10mb download. Whereas at home I was getting 35mb. So o think with the addition of an antenna this would improve maybe double.

Thanks alot for all your info
Old 22-04-2018, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitFelix View Post
Thanks for that I'm currently down at my van now, and with the router just sitting at the window I'm getting around 10mb download. Whereas at home I was getting 35mb. So o think with the addition of an antenna this would improve maybe double.

Thanks alot for all your info
I hope that it works well for you. There are several Wi-Fi masts on our site but only one gives us enough signal power to stream. It's the one that has 360-degree coverage. The rest have panels similar to the one we have and although you can get a good WI-Fi signal you can't stream from them. It may be something to do with the fact that the parks panels are facing in the opposite direction to ours even though the line of sight from ours is directly onto the parks panel.