Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > The GoStatic Reference Hub

The GoStatic Reference Hub The GoStatic Reference Hub is the home of our most important threads. If you are thinking of buying a static caravan, we recommend starting here.

Old 18-03-2017, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnyLoyal View Post
I must be very lucky, my site is open everyday of the year, we even went down on boxing day to get over the xmas blues.

I would hate to be restricted to not use my van over winter period, especially the likes of new year etc.
Our site closes for about 3 months, you are lucky if you want to use your van during the winter. But for us the site closing down for that period of time is about right for us, as would not want to use during the winter anyway. I suppose the option would be nice though

Old 18-03-2017, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Our site closes for about 3 months, you are lucky if you want to use your van during the winter. But for us the site closing down for that period of time is about right for us, as would not want to use during the winter anyway. I suppose the option would be nice though
Bet the option will cost 100s. ..
Old 18-03-2017, 18:06

Never thought about it costing more, just not bothered about using the van in the winter because of having to drain-down every time we leave. So if it was likely to raise the site fees, without a doubt I would prefer not to have the option
Old 18-03-2017, 18:39

During the last couple of seasons, our site offered a 6 week extension to our season. We have a 9 month season from 1st March to 1st December but they offered everyone the option of a 10.5 months season from 1st March to 14 January. The problem is that if you want the extended season you have to pay extra site fees (if I remember correctly it was around 400).

As far as I'm concerned I'm like Cylon and I'm happy to spend the winter at home. With the extra site fees, additional travelling costs, extra gas and electricity costs, that 400 for 6 extra weeks usage becomes a lot more. Also considering that during that period I potentially spend a couple of weeks at Christmas with my family plus a couple of weeks when I usually have Basset Hound Club commitments plus a risk that I couldn't go to my van because of bad weather, going for the 10.5 month season becomes a definite no-no.
Old 19-03-2017, 07:28
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Bet the option will cost 100s. ..
I know it used to be only 11 months and closed every February for the last 20 years or so but they changed it 3 years ago to open every day.

However, being a new owner I don't know what extra cost was from 11 to 12 months.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:59

Not sure how our site would manage without a close down, due to the amount of maintenance they do during that period. Some sites might need more maintenance than others but always something being done on our site during shutdown, so apart from grass cutting I suppose I would rather maintenance took place while we were not trying to relax and wanting peace and quite
Old 15-02-2018, 23:15

Default Does anybody use a steam cleaner for carpets?

Starting back at van on 1st March but thinking ahead about maintenance stuff that needs doing later on when weather is warmer and dryer. The fixed carpets in our van need freshening up a bit. Not really scruffy but need livening up. Have successfully used the cans of foam cleaner in past (down on my hands and knees) but am wondering whether anybody uses a steam cleaner? Would that be OK or would it damage the underfloor? I know that there might be steam condensing on cold surfaces but wouldn't attempt it until warm weather and would open the French doors and windows so plenty of air moving through. My ordinary Vax shampoo machine is awkward to manoeuvre around the fitted furniture and can't get into recessed bits. Thought maybe a small steam cleaner might possibly do better. Also, is there normally any sort of waterproof barrier between the van floor and the carpet? I don't think we have any underlay and there is no place we can lift the edge of the carpet to check..
Old 16-02-2018, 00:47

I struggle to know the answer to this and I would be myself concerned about wetting any wooden floor beneath the carpet, can we assume the surface of the wooden floor has been treated to protect it enough for a wet carpet clean? Whatever I used to clean the carpets, I would want to try and keep the carpet as dry as possible.

When or if I need to clean ours, think I will be contacting my caravan manufacturer and asking them

Many may say they have used a wet clean with no problems at all, but without lifting the carpet after a clean, how would they know?
Old 16-02-2018, 23:37

Thanks Cylon. Apart from kitchen area our van has the same fitted carpet everywhere including the bathrooms. Van 10 years old but carpet in pretty good condition. Would just like to perk it up a bit.
Have used the aerosol foam cleaner on stairs and small areas at home for many years. Its cheap and works well as only dampens the pile and not the carpet backing. So far have used that in van for heavily used carpet areas but its hard going down on the old knees !!! I know folk who use ordinary household Vax type shampoo machines in their vans and haven't heard of problems but, as you say, they won't know the effect on the floor unless they lift the carpet at some time. Those machines suck most of the water back as they go along - unless they dribble!! (And they do that if you are trying to get in and out of tight corners. I don't quite know how the steam cleaners work - don't know anybody personally who uses one other than on hard floors at home. Certainly don't want to take any risks.
Old 17-02-2018, 00:18

I was so pleased I decided to chuck out the carpets and put laminate down . Our van is 12 years old and even though they looked ok, I just felt I wanted to refurb the whole van to make it more modern. A lot of the curtains were a hideous orange and green mixture and the lounge were a faded lemon mix. Not my favourite colours and the carpets were brown. Serviceable enough but I said to my husband we can do better than this.
Anyway to cut a long story short , when the carpets were lifted my joiner who was laying the floor found a damp mouldy patch directly under my bed.
I would have been breathing in mould spores ��

We’ve had the caravan revealed, the floorboard renewed and laminate laid down and it just looks like a whole new van .
Along with the new curtains, newly reupholstered cushions, a dinky little dining table set for the two of us.
I’ve made some fresh art work.
It bears little resemblance to what it once was.