Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 19-02-2014, 18:06

Default Is re-opening a caravan in March 14 risky?

As many are looking forward to the start of the 2014 season, I'm now wondering whether March is a bit too early for the re-opening of a caravan, regarding frost and the freezing of boiler / pipes etc? Don't mean to spoil that feeling of counting down the days till the 1st March, but considering how cold some March's have been, I personally think it's a risk worthy of a mention, or am I just being a coward

Below is a link I come across from the metoffice and the video is well worth watching IMO, I could not believe that temperatures had got down to as low as -8.2 in Cumbria and -12.9 in Scotland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ies/2013/march

Hope this Helps

Last edited by Cylon; 19-02-2014 at 18:11. Reason: Removal of text

Old 19-02-2014, 18:10

I assume most vans with central heating have a frost stat fitted. If so I'm quite happy to start using from the 1st March.
Old 19-02-2014, 18:36

I just looked at our 2013 calendar...we stayed overnight march1st and seem to remember just after we left the snow came down ...
Old 19-02-2014, 18:37

We used to be on a site in Argyll that was surrounded by hills so the sun was not available for long each winter day. We used the site throughout the year as it only closed Monday to Friday in November and February. However we had to drain down after every visit from October to April. I would say my only worry was if we were staying during a very cold spell the pipes were not drained down overnight with outside temperature below -10C.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 19-02-2014, 18:43

We use ours from the 1st of February and are there most weekends, we do however drain down the hot and cold domestic water after every visit just in case temps suddenly fall
Old 19-02-2014, 18:51
Supporting Member

You're right Cylon it can be a bit risky because sometimes the worst weather comes in March. We have in the past delayed our opening for exactly that reason.......but I think it's the case of trying to judge the Weather.

To be honest, we've hardly had any frost this winter so hopefully everything will be ok.

ML.
Old 19-02-2014, 19:08

Yep its risky we wont be turning our water back on till the end of March. If we did I would be doing a mini drain down each visit. I'd rather manage with out mains than worry myself silly.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 19-02-2014, 19:11

So bearing in mind what's been said what's the best bit of advice for us newbies who want to start from the 1st March.

When you say mini drain down, what would we drain down.
Old 19-02-2014, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by golazzo View Post
So bearing in mind what's been said what's the best bit of advice for us newbies who want to start from the 1st March.

When you say mini drain down, what would we drain down.
Turn off your mains water supply, open all the taps and open the drain points underneath the van and let the water escape, be careful if you have central heating though as you dont want to drain this down aswell
Old 19-02-2014, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Turn off your mains water supply, open all the taps and open the drain points underneath the van and let the water escape, be careful if you have central heating though as you dont want to drain this down aswell
Never sure what a "mini" drain down was, we also would blow all or as much water out of pipes via the taps in kitchen and bathroom and put salt down drains and marine anti freeze in toilet. The only thing we didn't do was remove shower control and empty sitting water in cistern and toilet so when I think about it - it was just about a full one

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/