Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 24-02-2015, 12:38
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Smile Spring 2015 is almost here! Feedback for first opening

For the last two years, Ive started a 'feedback thread' for our first visit of the season. We've had some great feedback, so I'm starting another for this season.
If anyone is doing this 'opening up' visit for the first time, have a look at our 'Re-opening your caravan in Spring' thread in the Reference Hub, there's lots of info there to help you to be organised (few things to do before you actually go)
Here's the link
http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3457

I'm looking for your feedback from your first visit of the season, as regards how you found your caravan on your return.
I'm listing below the types of feedback I'm looking for, this is to keep the Ref Hub threads from becoming full of us waffling (me included!)

Here's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

1. What was the overall condition of the exterior when you arrived?

2. Did your caravan feel damp? (add the age, it may be relevant)

3. Did it take long to warm up? (please mention type of heating used)

4. When you reconnected the water supply, were there any problems? If so, how were they rectified?

5. What did you need to do to get your caravan back to normal? (upholstery, curtains, moving rugs etc)

6. Did you notice any black mildew anywhere on fabrics/curtains/walls etc?

7. How was your tv Ariel/satellite dish? Still where you left it?

8. Was there anything you forgot to do as you left last year? Was it ok?

9. Is there anything else you wish you had done before you left last year?

10. What was the general state of the grounds of your site (flooding/turf etc)

If you wish to add other things you think may be useful practical feedback, please add it by all means. We just need to stay on topic please as this will be a great reference thread.

Thanks in advance for your posts in this thread, I know it will take a little time to do it.

Angela B.

PS
If you prefer, just do your own thing here, my list is just for ideas of what to chat about.

Here's a link to last years feedback.
Re-opening Feedback 2014
http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...=Spring+sprung

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'

Old 24-02-2015, 19:58

Although not technically 1st visit...we called at van today to drop some things off and the new OFR...when we got there we noticed that the water pipe had been reconnected by the plumber,he tests it with a compressor and its up to us to switch water on,which we decided to leave off.As he had checked the boiler, we heated van up and decided to set van up ready for 1st visit...Tvs etc.bed made,cushions back,fridge on,eleccy fire checked,ornaments back.Only have to put water on when we decide to stay...decking cleaning will have to wait .
Old 27-02-2015, 00:36

Me and the wife went to our van Tuesday 17th for 4days the daughter and her kids came on Wednesday half term turned water on no problem I did not notice anything but the wife said there was a bit of mildew in 2 corners but nothing like she was expecting .
It was cold inside when we got there but it was very cold out side after about half an hour with the fire and a convector heater on it was fine we have central heating which we will use next time to see if that works better. the vans exterior was not to bad apart from seagulls usual bits we had a lot of rain so the site was quite flooded here and there but our van a Stella Daybreak 2007 is reached by concrete path but kids do not always use this and neither does granddad. We had a good time and are maybe going up this weekend depending on the weather.
Old 27-02-2015, 03:12

We are going up this weekend to get set up. TV will be out, ornaments, beds made etc. Will also do a food shop so that's all done. Not sure if we are staying over night as we haven't had our water connected back up yet - decided to leave it for another couple of weeks. Last went up on Boxing day so keeping fingers crossed that everything is ok
Old 27-02-2015, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
We are going up this weekend to get set up. TV will be out, ornaments, beds made etc. Will also do a food shop so that's all done. Not sure if we are staying over night as we haven't had our water connected back up yet - decided to leave it for another couple of weeks. Last went up on Boxing day so keeping fingers crossed that everything is ok
We're not brave enough to reconnect water just yet either. We just take a jerry can & fill up when we get there.

We still put some antifreeze in the loo & sinks when we leave for peace of mind.

I'm sure everything will be ok.
Old 27-02-2015, 10:20
Departed Friend

we have been back 3 times since november,staying 2 weekends and the half term.
the ground on the park is still very wet,in fact i fell over when i walked on the grass to drain up.
we have a slight leak around the wash basin pedestal.
had to re-pressure the combi.
someone had nicked 2 slabs which were under the storage box.
the park still had not sorted our stop tap out where it allows water to fill the toilet systems even when turned off(reported in november).
luckily,i had put anti-freeze in the cisterns and toilets,so no problem with them.
quite a few vans had been removed and replaced so there was quite a number of grassed corners which were churned up where caravans had to be towed over them.
the salt traps had very little water in them so we did not have any problems with dampness in the van.
all in all we did alright.
Old 27-02-2015, 17:07
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Some great feedback so far, thank you

Monday should have even more!

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 28-02-2015, 21:08

Ended up going only for a few hours instead of the weekend as planned This is because I fell down a rabbit hole (up to my thigh) and I hadn't taken any Tramadol with me nor had I left any in the van
We are having the drain up done on Thurs so try again next weekend! Everything was dry, some of the damp traps had water in but most were dry. Managed to get the windows cleaned inside and put the voles up, got scatter cushions and ornaments out so it looks a bit more homely now. Didn't bother making beds up - will do that next weekend. Hope the opening up went well for everyone xx
Old 28-02-2015, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
Ended up going only for a few hours instead of the weekend as planned This is because I fell down a rabbit hole (up to my thigh) and I hadn't taken any Tramadol with me nor had I left any in the van
We are having the drain up done on Thurs so try again next weekend! Everything was dry, some of the damp traps had water in but most were dry. Managed to get the windows cleaned inside and put the voles up, got scatter cushions and ornaments out so it looks a bit more homely now. Didn't bother making beds up - will do that next weekend. Hope the opening up went well for everyone xx
I thought most people would try to get rid of little furry voles!!!
Old 28-02-2015, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa View Post
I thought most people would try to get rid of little furry voles!!!
Lol Clarissa, love it . That will teach me to type when I've taken Tramadol - good job I'm not driving lol .
The scary thing is I check my posts before submitting - need to get myself to specsavers