Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 08-05-2018, 15:10

Question First Time Buyer - Thoughts & Opinions?

Hi

Be easy on me it will be my first caravan purchase :-)!

I've seen a model we want (didn't want to fork out a lot just incase it isn't for us, very slim chance of this though). It's a Delta Resort Plus circa 18k new http://deltacaravans.co.uk/resort-plus.html - thoughts on this model in terms of value for money (we have 2 young kids)?

Also going to take advantage of an offer from Haven Blue Dolphin - its around 4k fees a year and they will pick the static up and set up inc in this price - we love this part of the country and with 2 kids a Haven site seems to tick our boxes

To get a little bit of cash back to cover the fees we're thinking of letting via friends & facebook (so we can vet them) and only let in peak times to reduce wear & tear

In a nutshell my finance head is thinking 10 years ahead
18k caravan (Now worth 8k) -10,000
4k rates -40,000
Insurance etc -5,000
Income from rent +30,000
Total yearly 'cost' 1,600 inc depreciation

I know these costs are approx but the accountant in me wants to make sure this isn't a complete mistake, I'm obviously under no illusion this isn't an 'investment'

Look forward to your thought and hopefully being a part of your community (which seems really friendly reading a few posts)

Old 08-05-2018, 15:20

Hello and welcome.
Those with considerably more knowledge will be along to give you some advice (you are right, this is a very good forum) but I suspect that the residual value of the van after 10 years may be less than your calculations, and the annual pitch fee is unlikely to stay the same during the 10 years, it is more likely to increase year on year.
Hopefully, somebody is on the same site and will be able to give you better information soon.

Last edited by fhb; 08-05-2018 at 15:21. Reason: word "not" to be removed
Old 08-05-2018, 20:12

I’m no accountant by any stretch but you would have to watch some of your calculations I think, like fhb says, in 10 years you would be lucky to get 2000 for the caravan, infact the cost of getting it moved off site might be all it will be worth (sadly). The 18’000 seems a really low price to buy and site a caravan if it’s new, good deal if it is all in at that price.

Then your 30’000 rental income is risk, as your rightly wanting to let to friends and family or people you know (I think is where you are coming from) you find people want (expect sadly again) lower charges, so even at 300 a week you would need 10 weeks a year rented out to get the 30’000, obviously you could push for more but I think you will find it tough to fill the 10 weeks just from friends / family. If you rent out at peek times it’s normally school hols etc so your not going to get use at these times, great with very young children of your own as you can go anytime but as soon as they are in school your now limited to weekends off peek for your own use / enjoyment, suddenly your holiday home is not that convieniant for you.
Site fees will go up year on year I am sure so you could easily add another 1000 to the rent figure over the 10 years, not a massive amount in the grand scale of it all but it all adds up.

As you rightly say it’s not an investment, my personal view is step into it financially planning a worst case, i.e you have to pay the full rent and bills on your own so anything else is a bonus if YOU decide to do it not have too. Then throw the finance head off and your investing in some fantastic memories with your children who will grow up remembering the brilliant holidays they had, there’s no value you can give to that... if it’s affordable at worst case go for it..
Old 08-05-2018, 20:36

Really appreciate the reply! This has genuenly put it into perspective for me. I may actually have a 2 year old caravan for 10,000 if I can strike a deal (privately). The Blue Dolphin are currently offering a ‘free’ transport and set up if you commit to their yearly fee (I presume the park is low on caravans on site)

As you say plan for the worse and you can’t go wrong

Any advice you can give on setting up on a Haven site??
Old 08-05-2018, 21:27

I would check where on the site it will be sited , there may be better areas than others and the site fees may vary accordingly. You also have to kit out the van which will be another 1500 , gas and leccy , petrol money and spending money ...thinking the arcades here , if your renting you will need gas certificates , when the vans 8 yrs old will you still get the same price / week for it even though everything else has gone up. I agree with above , make sure you can afford it without renting out then any income will be a bonus and once you get it you may not want anyone else using it and as said friends and family want mates rates.
Old 08-05-2018, 23:41

If you keep your 4 grand ground rent in the bank and call it your holiday fund, you can raid your holiday fund to the value of around 8 weeks holiday a year just by renting a van on your chosen site. No upfront costs, no maintenance costs, no cleaning fees, no gas & electric costs, no massive annual depreciation of your asset. Why do you think Haven SELL vans & then charge a ground rent? Because its more profitable for them than owning & renting out their vans. What makes you think you can do a better job cheaper than Haven can themselves? Take my advice, if you cant afford to stand the cost of the ground rent without renting out the van, then its never really your van is it? Better to rent when needed. Do you think you will need more than 8 weeks caravan holidays a year? Also, if you buy a van, you are stuck on that one site, but if you rent, you can go to a different site every holiday if you fancy a change.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:43
Supporting Member

Have you visited “The Blue Dolphin”? If you are talking of the Yorks coast one I would really suggest you visit it and the others along the coast. From the Cayton Bay sites nearer Scarborough to Crows Nest, Blue Dolphin, Flower of May etc. and then down the coast further to Flamborough, Bridlington, Skipsea, Hornsea etc. there are many sites of varying styles, to suit all taste. They range from those truly holiday sites, that are designed for a fortnights stay and spend , spend , spend to those that are more “home from home” relaxed sites.

I think your figures are unrealistically ambitious but it could be your right & I’m wrong however if I am right you could find yourself with a real financial milestone tied around your neck should it not work out.

Vans seem to rent out at the time families with young children want to be there ( school hols ) so who is going to use it you and your family or customers? I sense a conflict of interests there between the accountant & the dad.
So I would suggest a serious sit down and study of pros & cons before you decide. Buying a static caravan is not a financial investment but it is buying into a lifestyle. Done carefully, and wisely, it will bring years of pleasure to you and yours..

Last edited by DavidE; 09-05-2018 at 09:48.
Old 09-05-2018, 19:06

when you say 4k for rates is that for rent and rates ? have you also factored in annual gas checks and service plus drain down costs ? we let out only to close friends & family but only take a token ammount for electric/gas/cleaning renting out via face book will bring you a host of worries ie,payment deposits site rules your rules you would need to inform your insurance,are they smokers do you allow pets ? some people have allergies and would need to be informed of pets you would need to factor in clean bedding/sheets and towels cleaning between renting, plus renters do not look after statics like you would your self, is the gas piped or bottled, renters could easily use a full bottle gas a week between sept/and April probably about 55-75 a week plus electric all things considered you would be pushed to break even renting out plus your personal effects would need to be removed from the van i wouldnt watt Tom Dick & Harry looking through my personal belongings,all things considered renting is a bonus i would not under any circumstances expect to make a profit very few do.
Old 09-05-2018, 21:13
Supporting Member

RRRob put it in a nutshell in the very first sentence.
Bank your 4K and spend it on holidays, no worries, no potential heartache.
You have had some very good advice so far. Think about it carefully before you decide.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 10-05-2018, 23:05
Supporting Member

That is a very basic caravan and looking at the galley kitchen I would think it is a 10ft wide van? If so, it wouldn't command top rental prices.
I also thought that the deal where they will move and site a van for free means a van that is already sited on another holiday park. I doubt they will let you source a brand new, or used van, for them to collect and site if the van doesn't already belong to you.
I would very carefully read the small print, but would be happy to be proved wrong.