Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 15-11-2017, 21:03

Default Howdy Do All

Hi All

Dave here. Bought our first static in Mablethorpe. Been living in the motorhome since selling the house 2 years ago, mainly wardening on campsites around the country. So statics are a whole new ball game for me.
My first task is to find a storage unit outside for the washer. Our site restricts them to 2 and cannot be larger than 6ft x 4ft I think and have to be green. I have spoke to a number of people and most say the metal ones are murder to erect and rust so I am thinking of a plastic one. Does anyone know of a good one to buy.

Cheers

Dave

Old 15-11-2017, 22:27
Supporting Member

to the forum ( from one Dave to another ).
As to storage boxes I wonder if plastic ones would take the hammer from an operational washer, what with all that motor vibration etc.
Old 15-11-2017, 22:48

Hello Dave and .

Are you sure you are allowed to have a washer in outside storage on your site ? Is it a residential site? They make a lot of noise and probably would annoy neighbours. My neighbours at home have their washer in detached concrete garage and it wakes me every morning when the timer switches it on. Would be better to ask management what storage unit is acceptable for a washer, rather than buy and find its no good. I have had a tumble dryer in a wooden garden shed before but you could hear it quite a distance away, wouldn't contemplate a washer outside.
Old 15-11-2017, 22:53

There are loads of people on site with washers outside and yes the park management allows it, as it was he who told us to get a shed or storage unit.
Old 15-11-2017, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
There are loads of people on site with washers outside and yes the park management allows it, as it was he who told us to get a shed or storage unit.
That's amazing. I suppose if there are lots of folk all doing the same its less of an issue. Must be deafening at times. I don't think we would be allowed a washer outside on our site but some of the new lodges have machines inside. We aren't allowed to hang any washing out to dry either but we aren't at the seaside and its not a holiday letting site. Its very quiet and I guess 1 outside washing machine would be heard all over the site.
Old 16-11-2017, 00:57

We are near the seaside obviously but it is not a letting site. Strictly family only. It has been open over 20 years and as far as I know nobody has their washing machine inside but I could be wrong. We will not be on site again until March now as we are in New Zealand visiting and touring North Island.
Old 16-11-2017, 10:03

If you get plastic, make sure it is approved for caravan use - there are two sorts, combustible and non-combustible. Also check with the site if you are allowed plastic - it sounds as if your site is pretty relaxed (is it holiday or residential?) but if the local fire service make a check and decide it is a fire risk,you could be ordered to remove it pronto.
Washing machine inside (if you have room) is much more convenient... washing machine AND tumble dryer is better still.
Old 16-11-2017, 10:08

We have our washing machine in a metal shed outside. Don't really hear it when operating. Reason for metal shed is it was there when we bought the caravan. Must admit I would prefer a UPVC one.
Old 16-11-2017, 12:48

I would suggest that the type of storage units on most sites are of the Ketter variety. They are fine but I doubt they are suitable to house a washing machine in as they are definitely not robust enough.

If you are going to have a plastic type unit, I suggest that you find a heavy duty polythene type unit. the thin plastic ones like Ketter wouldn't last a week with a washing machine rattling about in it.

Although a metal one may be harder to erect, I would go for that. With care and regular maintenance, I think it would be the best option. Of course, you can always ask your neighbours what they have and how suitable for the job they are.
Old 16-11-2017, 19:58
Supporting Member

We have a neighbour with a washing machine inside her storage box .
It is very noisy and during summer it is used constantly up to 10 pm at night
I am sure she is running a laundry service ..��