Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 19-02-2018, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateF View Post
Thanks everyone.
It’s a king size width but think it’s a tad shorter in length.
Memory foam good thought but don’t know if they do different sort of ‘softness’.
Don’t want something rock hard but then again nothing too soft.
( princess and the pea comes to mind!!).
Any recommendations for firms that do made to measure.
Yes they do make memory foam mattresses with different softness and with different layers of other foam in between to give different feel. We thought about memory foam because of the size issues, went to several showrooms and laid on them. Some were very firm and some very very soft. Also they feel different according to your size and weight. As with any mattress, if you are looking for comfort you definitely need to try before you buy. Even the same comfort level felt different with different brands so ordering blind on internet would be risky. We decided against one in the end because we could get a suitable spring mattress for same price.

Regarding special size sprung mattresses. This isn't as big an issue as you might think. I don't know what part of the country you are in or where your van is located but there are a number of places where bed factories are clustered. Its no issue to them to make things a bit shorter/narrower. We have had to do it several times for home and for the van. They simply put 1 less row of springs and adjust the cover size etc. The first company we bought from charged £30 extra. The latest one we had 4ft wide instead of their standard 4ft6 and they just charged for the larger size as that was standard. You might have to wait a few more days for it because their machines are set up to do standard runs and they tend to do the "specials" at the end.

Suggest you ask at any bed shop where you live. If they can't arrange for special size they probably will be able to tell you where to go. There may be a internet store that turns out to be near to you and has a showroom. I was about to order on the web and realised the alternative phone number was local to us............turned out to be in the village below, only half mile away!!!

Last edited by Bluebells; 19-02-2018 at 15:22.

Old 20-02-2018, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateF View Post
Thanks everyone.
Itís a king size width but think itís a tad shorter in length.
Memory foam good thought but donít know if they do different sort of Ďsoftnessí.
Donít want something rock hard but then again nothing too soft.
( princess and the pea comes to mind!!).
Any recommendations for firms that do made to measure.
We have a memory foam mattress at home and it's really comfortable. I thought that memory foam would be similar in most mattresses.
Old 20-02-2018, 21:26
Supporting Member

KateF
to the friendly forum!

Brings back my memory from last year regarding caravan mattresses!
Our new Swift Burgundy had a lovely new mattress that was made in Yorkshire, but for me to sleep on was terrible, far too soft, no support whatsoever, it was on a slatted wooden base,
Quickly came to the conclusion it had to go! As I suffer from chronic spinal pain

Purchased another from M&S medium to firm, tried it several times in the shop, seemed good, and was recommended to use on a slatted wooden base, but how wrong the decision was
Had it delivered, it was too firm for me, had loads of sleepless nights!
Needless to say that has now gone after 3 months along with the slatted base!

So now on my 3rd bed, needless to say it's exactly what I have at home a Sleepeze with a new base.
I know it will be perfect for me!

So make sure you spend wisely on your replacement bed!

Last edited by sparkrace22; 20-02-2018 at 21:37.