Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:27

Default gobsmacked

while searching some sites the other day I came across a van which seemed a decent price to me for the £6995 , I was then skipping through a few more sites and came across the same van , same year this time it said £13495 and that had been reduced supposedly , you couldn't write it or make this stuff up , wheres a regulator when you need one , you may argue that the higher price was the correct one , but really on a 11 year old caravan , not the top of the range just a standard model back in the day

Last edited by craig12; 03-04-2019 at 06:31.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:34
Supporting Member

I’m not surprised you are gobsmacked at the fact a ‘van is priced at over double on one site to another.
However the price differential does not surprise me overly as it is what explained to me as “site differential”. By this it was meant that each site being a location on its own( and ‘vans usually staying on the one site throughout it’s life) they have developed there own pricing structure.
Last year when looking at sites in E.Yorks we came across the same model new ‘van ( at the same spec) on three sites with prices between 55 thousand and 79 thousand.
It is not like cars where wherever you buy you go out onto the same roads so the sellers are competing with each other, it is a case of if you want to be on our site you pay our price.

Last edited by DavidE; 03-04-2019 at 08:37.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42

More to do with the site pitch facilities, whats included Decking outbuildings landscaping all determine the price, we paid around 18k for our 2011 willerby granada XL it was 4 years old, was sited with decking and 1 year site fees threw in, the same van was advertised on two sites down south for 55K at the time... i found the original bill for the van in a drawer the previous owner paid 38.000 new and £1200 for the decking so i thk we got a good deal.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:00
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hog View Post
More to do with the site pitch facilities, whats included Decking outbuildings landscaping all determine the price, we paid around 18k for our 2011 willerby granada XL it was 4 years old, was sited with decking and 1 year site fees threw in, the same van was advertised on two sites down south for 55K at the time... i found the original bill for the van in a drawer the previous owner paid 38.000 new and £1200 for the decking so i thk we got a good deal.
Agreed water hog. In a way that is what was meant by site differential I.e. sites that offer more facilities tend to to charge more for ‘vans as well as ground rent.
Whilst not universal it does seem to go that way for most.
Old 03-04-2019, 14:53

Same thing applies to residential park homes - screams of outrage at the price differentials.
People fail to understand that in most cases the price is driven by WHERE it is, not WHAT it is.
Whether it is a holiday or residential van, the price will be pitched at the level people will pay - if nobody pays it, the price will come down, if somebody is prepared to pay it then it will sell. No "regulator" needed, it is self limiting. After all, nobody is marched to the sales office at gunpoint..
Old 03-04-2019, 16:14

sorry it was 13 years old not 11
Old 03-04-2019, 18:19

Bit like a burger in macdonalds and the same thing at the ritz you are paying for a lot more than the actual van

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:29

It's all about options, what you want, where you want it, and what you are prepared to pay. Different strokes for different folks.