Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 13-12-2011, 16:29

Default advise from NACO regarding Snow at Caravan Parks

i see this today and thought some may find it useful

http://www.nacoservices.com/Snow-Ice-Advice.html

Old 13-12-2011, 18:23

Thanks for that Bungle,think this is the best advice that they give in the last paragraph....

Ultimately, consider carefully whether you need to go to the park at all, if the weather conditions are due to be extreme you may be placing yourself in harms way when you could be at home in the warm.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:48

I was scared in the snow looking at the weight of snow on the bow roofed caravans wouldn't have wanted to be in one.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 14-12-2011, 20:40

Thanks for posting that information. Much appreciated
Old 15-12-2011, 08:54

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Thank you for the heads up on this Bungle. Last year due to the snow our site drained down our van and we only knew about it whne we got there for our long weekend in the November. Even though the choice was a good one, our site is open from Feb to end of December. Due to the snow our we have a mile long drive uphill to our van and we cannot get a car up there unless its a 4 x 4. I dont think our caravan owners would grit the road due to the fact that some of the entry up to our van is owned by the farmer. So in a nutshell we shut down our van end of October this time. Gutted that we cant use the van for 4 months.
Old 15-12-2011, 21:58

Advice from a park owner... if you see white stuff on the ground it's probably something called snow. It might be slippy and you're best staying off it.

I hate this health and safety mad world, it removes common sense from sensible people..

Grrrr, grumpy park owner .... bah humbug!!

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 16-12-2011, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
Advice from a park owner... if you see white stuff on the ground it's probably something called snow. It might be slippy and you're best staying off it.

I hate this health and safety mad world, it removes common sense from sensible people..

Grrrr, grumpy park owner .... bah humbug!!
Will you be keeping one of those bulldozer on park to clear snow or keep it natural
Old 17-12-2011, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Will you be keeping one of those bulldozer on park to clear snow or keep it natural
Well we're lucky and it never normally hangs around. But we don't clear anything but the entrance.

If we get a year like last year then I will close the park again as its too much of a risk with all the litigation in the world. Seeing the likes of NACOs putting bullets in the gun don't make me feel that I can trust people to be sensible.

A

Old 17-12-2011, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
Well we're lucky and it never normally hangs around. But we don't clear anything but the entrance.

If we get a year like last year then I will close the park again as its too much of a risk with all the litigation in the world. Seeing the likes of NACOs putting bullets in the gun don't make me feel that I can trust people to be sensible.

A
To be honest Treetops, if a site is open during the winter period and people pay there ground rent based on this fact then why should you not provide a safe environment for people?

Is it unreasonable for a park operator to put some salt on the roads and footways? even if you go in to the local supermarket they provide this basic service!

seems quite simple to me, if you don't want to provide the service, keep the parks closed during the winter period, most wont though as they would not get away with charging the same amount of ground rent , most sites get away with charging several thousands based on the fact they have a licence for 52 week ends per year, if this is how they are advertising then they should provide basic services to there customers.

i don't see how this is NACO loading the gun at all, its about people being safe, and after all park owners do have a duty of care to there customers!
Old 17-12-2011, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
To be honest Treetops, if a site is open during the winter period and people pay there ground rent based on this fact then why should you not provide a safe environment for people?

Is it unreasonable for a park operator to put some salt on the roads and footways? even if you go in to the local supermarket they provide this basic service!

seems quite simple to me, if you don't want to provide the service, keep the parks closed during the winter period, most wont though as they would not get away with charging the same amount of ground rent , most sites get away with charging several thousands based on the fact they have a licence for 52 week ends per year, if this is how they are advertising then they should provide basic services to there customers.

i don't see how this is NACO loading the gun at all, its about people being safe, and after all park owners do have a duty of care to there customers!
I understand what you are say, but.... I have about 1 mile of roads and about the same amount of paths, we are also situated on a hillside which means plenty of hills. Comparing us to a supermarket is not realistic

Our location generally ensures that we don't get too much bad weather, but last year broke all the rules. We had snow followed by a semi thaw followed by a freeze to -13, this created a nice half inch layer of ice on the roads. We closed the park and banned vehicles (including ours) from the roads. Customer were permitted to their caravans on foot and at their own risk. This changed when I got sick of flooded caravans, 50% of the owners had left their water on and a lot of the stop-taps ended up frozen open. I had no choice but to turn off the parks water supply which effectively closed the park. In reality this was no hardship to any of our customers as their caravans were generally frozen solid and frankly none, bar one of them wanted to stay anyway. We donít let people live on the park, they all had warm homes to go to. The park was neither usable nor safe. The customers lost about 1 week of the season.

Even if Iíd wanted to grit the park I would not have been able to do so, grit was simply not available and I donít have the space to stockpile grit. Frankly there were areas I could not have reached as the vehibles simply could not move.

Would I make this decision again? Of course I would. To do otherwise would be foolish and risk damage to my customerís caravans, not to mention their person and their cars.

I remember a time, when if you tripped up in the street youíd feel like a fool. These days there are people who seem to queue up in-order trip over a raised paving stone to make a claim. It seems to me that common sense has been replaced by madness and litigation which is costing us all a fortune! Does this not drive you mad and make you wonder what itís costing you? Thankfully I have nice sensible customers.

For the record I take my duty of care very seriously. I would not close the park without serious consideration.