Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 05-07-2018, 23:07

Even if its electric ignition on cooker you still need matches or gas lighter to boil water during a power cut !!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
matches for some reason I assumed all cookers had electronic ignition
If a cooker or hob has an electrical ignition system, they are usually the Piezo type that does not require a separate electric supply.

Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grills and some lighters, and potato cannons.[1] Piezo ignition uses the principle of piezoelectricity, which, in short, is the electric charge that accumulates in some materials in response to high pressure. It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz is piezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge, which ignites the gas.

No external electric connection is required, though wires are sometimes used to locate the sparking location away from the crystal itself. Piezo ignition systems can be operated by either a lever, push-button or built into the control knob. An electric spark is usually generated once per turn of the knob or press of the button.

Of course, they sometimes fail to work, so it is always handy to have a box of matches to hand just in case.
Old 07-07-2018, 22:25

Mosquito, the cooker in our van wouldn't light when the mains power failed so I guess they aren't all the same. Matches or lighter handy for other things anyway - for the sake of 1 spent. Birthday candles ???????
Old 08-07-2018, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebells View Post
Mosquito, the cooker in our van wouldn't light when the mains power failed so I guess they aren't all the same. Matches or lighter handy for other things anyway - for the sake of 1 spent. Birthday candles ???????
No, you are quite right. That's why I said usually. There is always the exception to the rule. The system on our hob is Piezo. However, our oven is electric which I prefer. We had a gas cooker in the van that the park loaned us whilst we were waiting for our van to arrive. I found it difficult to get the timing right as I have been used to an electric cooker for donkey's years

I always keep some matches in the van. You never know when you will need them, eg power cuts, and as you say to light the candles.
Old 10-07-2018, 22:01

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your fab suggestions. I'm sure by next season the van will be fully kitted out
Old 11-07-2018, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweens View Post
Thank you all for your fab suggestions. I'm sure by next season the van will be fully kitted out
Don't forget your communications devices. Laptop, Tablet, cables and charging connections.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:44

Hi Sweens,
We are onto our 3rd van and honestly every time we go to van the wife manages to find something we need, and when we have trips out you will see something and think oh that will look good at the van, take it from me it is never ending because you want your van to be like a home with all the comforts. I am not complaining because I like the van looking good as we have friends from abroad stop and family so you want to be proud of what you can afford. We are now looking to buy a portable twin tub washing machine hahaha never stops.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, it is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers John.