Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 10-07-2018, 17:42

Default Advice on Washing Machines for van.

We are looking to buy a twin tub as we have a cupboard outside the van we can keep it in, but would like opinions on which anyone has found to be decent. It will be mainly used for grandchildren's clothes and small items. Another thing I wondered can you just fill them with a bucket and drain water onto small garden or has it got to go down a drain.
Thanks John.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmamac View Post
We are looking to buy a twin tub as we have a cupboard outside the van we can keep it in, but would like opinions on which anyone has found to be decent. It will be mainly used for grandchildren's clothes and small items. Another thing I wondered can you just fill them with a bucket and drain water onto small garden or has it got to go down a drain.
Thanks John.
To be honest, I thought twin tubs had gone out with the ark. Do you mean a washer dryer? If so, I would suggest you go online as there are many models at different price levels.

Regarding water supply, If you can obtain a twin tub, you would probably be able to fill it with a bucket but a washer dryer, or washing machine, would need to be connected the mains water as they fill and empty at different parts of the cycle.

Letting the water drain on to a garden area is not a good idea. I would think the park may have something to say about that. It should be connected to the drains. I would go to see the park manager for advice on the matter. It may save you problems later.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:25

Default Washing Machine.

Hello Mosquito,
There is loads of small twin tubs especially made for vans around 80 on ebay etc they are small and take loads of about 3.5k but I just wondered if anyone had had one and which was best value and reliability. I have no room to fit a automatic and thought one of these would be ideal.
Thanks John.
Old 11-07-2018, 15:40

I recollect a type of washing machine that was simply a drum with a handle, fitted on a countertop or plank over the bath, and was manually rotated to wash. A step up from the old bucket+washboard - but it actually worked quite well. I think they are still available. Good way of keeping the arms exercised.
As Mosquito said, you would need to ask your Park about whether you are allowed to drain directly to the garden - it may be your garden, but is still their land.
The main problem is (a) the washing powder residues will accumulate and possibly damage that particular patch of soil, (b) in heavy rain the last thing you want is more water coming out.
If it is only occasional washing to freshen things up, unlikely to cause any harm.
Don't try and store the grey water for later use in the garden - it may start to ferment.
Old 11-07-2018, 17:09

Quote:
Hello Mosquito,
There is loads of small twin tubs especially made for vans around 80 on ebay etc they are small and take loads of about 3.5k but I just wondered if anyone had had one and which was best value and reliability. I have no room to fit a automatic and thought one of these would be ideal.
Thanks John.
We bought a similar type of washer/spinner single tub to use in our first caravan. We stood it in the shower cubicle to use so it could be easily filled and emptied. It washed reasonably well considering, but the spinner function was not very good (on this type of machine), but fortunately we had a Creda spin drier left over from our boating days that spun at 2800 rpm. It got all the clothes very close to dry.

Tony
Old 12-07-2018, 18:09

I think l would probably wash small items in the sink.You only need a wringer of some kind to squeeze em out then out in the sun.Saves all the messing about and am sure it would be quicker.Then again it depends how much clobber kids go through l suppose...
Old 13-07-2018, 09:38

I haven't used one of these little twin tubs but did do a lot of research and rejected the idea for the caravan. Like you I would have had to bucket water into it outside and its not just the initial washing bit - there's more for each rinse. (Disposing of the water isn't a problem for us as we have flowers and shrubs to water). Not sure running an electric item inside a shower cubicle is legal but wouldn't be practical here anyway. I would think its easier to wash stuff in the caravan sink with ample water on tap. A spin dryer would finish the job well and would drain into a bowl. Empty down the kitchen sink if necessary.
Old 13-07-2018, 11:39

Quote:
Hello Mosquito,
There is loads of small twin tubs especially made for vans around 80 on ebay etc they are small and take loads of about 3.5k but I just wondered if anyone had had one and which was best value and reliability. I have no room to fit an automatic and thought one of these would be ideal.
Thanks John.
That's good news. I honestly thought they were now defunct. I know my mother had one before I got married and that was 47 years ago. In fact, I seem to remember that she had an automatic machine before I left home.

I'm sure it would work well for you. My mother had hers for years without a problem. If it's a 3.5 Kl load, you may be able to get a large container such as a baby bath and use that to collect the wastewater. It could then be poured down the drain.