Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:35

Default Haven Sites

Are there any members that have their static sited on a Haven Site. I’m interested to see how many have to rent their vans out to cover the cost of the site fees.

Living so close to Blackpool we’ve stayed many times on Marton Mere and we always hire privately. The current van we use is a 2017 Swift Bordeaux inc side and end decking which apparently came in at around 55k

I’m struggling how many owners fund the cost of a van and then running costs of around 7k per season.

I’ve noticed there are owners at Marton Mere hiring vans out and ones just become available for hire which cost the owner 68k.

I’m not so sure has much has I love to own a static I could finance a van and then have to hire it out. I’m struggling to see the point, if at the the end of the day you hardly get to use it. Or am I missing something

Last edited by golazzo; 01-07-2018 at 05:55.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:09

It really depends on where you want to be and what facilities you want. We are on Fold House Park at Pilling. We have some facilities but not what is on the more expensive sites. The Park is really well kept and the owners and staff are great. The fees are a fraction of the park you visit. Blackpool and the Lakes are within reasonable traveling distance. The market town of Garstang is a short car ride away and Lancaster is around 20 minutes away.

Of course, as I say, it all depends on what you want. It might be a good idea to research different Parks online and if any appeal to you, ring them and ask what their fees are and what facilities are on the park.

Also, don't forget the site fees tend to increase annually. Our fees are usually kept quite low but there have been stories on the forum of increases of around 12% with no extra facilities added. On top of that, you will have a portion of the parks rates bill to pay. If you are seriously considering buying a static, you need to make sure what it is likely to cost for everything else besides the van.

You will find that on some sites, you are not allowed to rent out your van. Fold house park doesn't allow you to rent. However, that suits us as we don't have the problem of noisy holidaymakers keeping you awake at night and we know that the people who own vans around us have similar requirements to ourselves. They also look out for each other without being in your face all the time.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23
Supporting Member

I personally don’t think you’re missing anything. Others will disagree but I would not be happy if I had to rent our home from home out to other people. I would be constantly worried how they were (mis)treating it.

I would not have been able to make it mine. Whilst I don’t do a lot of knickknacks there are those personal touches that I would not be able have if I rented out.

I spent many holidays in rented out vans before having my own, and have realised that I want different things from a “2nd home” to those I wanted from a 2 weeks stay van & site.

Hopefully I have not upset too many folk by expressing my point of view but my van is mine to enjoy how I want & when I want and not dependent on whether somebody else wants to use it. We each do it our own way (and whatever works for someone is right for them).

But