Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 03-07-2018, 21:24

Question Kitting our van out

Hi all. We're new to owning and the van is being sited tomorrow, we are so excited!! In my head I have gone from room to room and purchased everything I think we'll need....my question is when you were new owners what is the one thing you forgot to buy or wish you'd bought?

Old 03-07-2018, 23:22
Supporting Member

lots, but i found having a note pad and pen and noting everything down as we came across what was needed helped a lot, it was several weeks before we had nothing on the pad, one tip, don't buy cheap cos its only for the van, you simply end up buying twice, we still use the note pad but its now for things like tea bags, toilet rolls and plant food etc, our first trip to the van we had to hire a van to get the stuff there, and for the next few visits the car was rammed full as well, but now we have everything as we would like so its just pure enjoyment, we use the re fillable moisture traps which i recon are great, also keep a zip bag of several ice cubes in the freezer and check that they are still cubed each trip, if one big flat pancake then the power has been off and the food will have been spoilt, hope you really enjoy your van, have fun.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:02

Hi Sweens and . We have no shop on the site and its a drive to the nearest one. It was daft little things like all sizes of plastic bags and clip fasteners for them. Matches or gas lighter. Fly catchers to stick on the windows.
As to bigger items I would go steady until you have stayed in your van a few times. I was careful but now confess that some items I bought in the beginning I changed after the first year or so as they took up too much space or didn't stack efficiently. Bought similar but in different sizes etc.

Now in 6th season and finally got the right sized rigid plastic boxes with lids and cheap plastic storage boxes with zips that make best use of the underbed and cupboard space. Wish we had had those from the beginning.

Its great fun setting up your caravan so just enjoy it all. My husband reckoned that I used it as an opportunity to compensate for parents not buying me a Wendy House when I was a kid.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweens View Post
Hi all. We're new to owning and the van is being sited tomorrow, we are so excited!! In my head I have gone from room to room and purchased everything I think we'll need....my question is when you were new owners what is the one thing you forgot to buy or wish you'd bought?
Despite writing a list and going shopping several times, we still found items that we needed were missing. Some were items for baking, others were items that you might use periodically that you don't think about until you need them. I'm sure that everyone has had a similar experience. We had a small family party at the van last New Years Eve, items like cheese boards and such which you normally wouldn't use. There were other items but I can't for the life of me think what they are. Probably that's why they weren't bought in the first instance.
Old 04-07-2018, 21:56
Supporting Member

A pizza slicer and a cheese grater were the things we didnt think of and missed in the first couple of weeks. Luckily we didnt forget the bottle opener tho!

Like everyone else, we made a note of what we needed as we went along and our car was also rammed probably for the first 4 to 6 weeks. But good luck with your new van, its so exciting!
Old 04-07-2018, 22:27
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Here's some ideas

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...&highlight=Kit

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 05-07-2018, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
You're a star Angela, If that doesn't answer the question fully, nothing will.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31
Supporting Member

We are in the group that moved from a tourer to a static so had plenty of the bits of kit already that just swapped over. The warden of the site, who showed us round, offered us the simplest advice I’ve had though. That was that if a static is going to become your “ home from home” list everything you have at your home that you use, think you cannot live without, or enjoy having and decide whether you want to duplicate it for the van,or carry it backwards & forwards every time you visit.
It’s worked for us..........
Old 05-07-2018, 16:43
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
We are in the group that moved from a tourer to a static so had plenty of the bits of kit already that just swapped over. The warden of the site, who showed us round, offered us the simplest advice Iíve had though. That was that if a static is going to become your ď home from homeĒ list everything you have at your home that you use, think you cannot live without, or enjoy having and decide whether you want to duplicate it for the van,or carry it backwards & forwards every time you visit.
Itís worked for us..........
yeah, the only thinkg i have to take every time is the wife, no her hair brush and straighteners and her favourite memory foam pillows have purchased several but they are not the same the original one is still the best, pillow not wife you understand.....
Old 05-07-2018, 17:33

matches for some reason I assumed all cookers had electronic ignition

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.