Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:26

Default Some Newer Built Caravans Buckling in Hot Weather?

Me and the wife considered buying a new or newer caravan than ours and during this hot weather have noticed while viewing many newer caravans show buckling on the outside panels, some buckling may return to normal when cooled down, but one brand new caravan we viewed had not returned to normal and I was told panel / panels would need replacing.

What is going on with some of the newer caravans? We have a 2002 Willerby that gets the sun on it most of the day and no noticeable panel buckling, same as most other older caravans we have seen on our site. Is it thinner panels, less timber behind them or less fixing screws? Would be interested to know the answer, as up until now we are not interested in changing our van to a newer one unless we can see how it copes with hot and sunny conditions.

Old 06-07-2018, 19:14
Supporting Member

I havnt got an answer to your question, but after what you have said I wouldnít want to buy a new caravan either. To spend the top end of £40k for something that canít stand up to a bit of warm weather is shocking
Old 06-07-2018, 20:30

I suppose I wasn't really expecting a definitive answer, just really voicing my disappointment. Saying that, possibly someone like Barry from Park and Leisure may come back with an answer
Old 07-07-2018, 07:41

This is probably a stupid thought - but I wonder if it is to do with weight?
Maybe the newer vans have more bells&whistles internally, so to keep the overall weight on top of the chassis down, the panels are thinner?
Otherwise - maybe thinner panels are cheaper...
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Me and the wife considered buying a new or newer caravan than ours and during this hot weather have noticed while viewing many newer caravans show buckling on the outside panels, some buckling may return to normal when cooled down, but one brand new caravan we viewed had not returned to normal and I was told panel / panels would need replacing.

What is going on with some of the newer caravans? We have a 2002 Willerby that gets the sun on it most of the day and no noticeable panel buckling, same as most other older caravans we have seen on our site. Is it thinner panels, less timber behind them or less fixing screws? Would be interested to know the answer, as up until now we are not interested in changing our van to a newer one unless we can see how it copes with hot and sunny conditions.
It does seem that there is a major problem if the panels buckle in the first instance. If your van is under warranty you shouldn't have a problem, but of course, if the warranty has expired, that's a different matter.

One thing that could be considered when buying a new van is to consider other types of cladding. Most companies offer this as an extra. UPVC and other claddings are more durable and as far as I'm aware, they don't seem to buckle in the heat.
Old 09-07-2018, 14:53
Supporting Member

Maybe it's down to the higher levels of insulation new(er) vans tend to have - the heat can't dissipate through the panel like it used to be able to, so the panel gets hotter? Might be rubbish, but it's a thought.
Old 09-07-2018, 20:55

Ours is terrible for this and many others new ones I have looked at since seeing it are the same, panels are so hot you can’t even touch them and you get a wave effect down the side with bulges that expand out buy an inch between the screw locations, disappears when the sun goes off them.
I asked the manufacturer and their answer was they prefer mid panel expansion rather than high stress on screw locations or high movement in overlap joints.
My answer to it is the metal panels appear to have drastically reduced in thickness, my neighbours have just traded an older van in and you could feel the difference in the metal thickness. A couple of 6 inch sticks blew out the tree opposite in the high winds this year leaving faint crease marks where they hit the side of our van, it was described a durable high close metal cladding in the literature, about as durable as tin foil.
PVC cladding if I ever buy again..

Last edited by ABI1000; 09-07-2018 at 20:57.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABI1000 View Post
Ours is terrible for this and many others new ones I have looked at since seeing it are the same, panels are so hot you canít even touch them and you get a wave effect down the side with bulges that expand out buy an inch between the screw locations, disappears when the sun goes off them.
I asked the manufacturer and their answer was they prefer mid panel expansion rather than high stress on screw locations or high movement in overlap joints.
My answer to it is the metal panels appear to have drastically reduced in thickness, my neighbours have just traded an older van in and you could feel the difference in the metal thickness. A couple of 6 inch sticks blew out the tree opposite in the high winds this year leaving faint crease marks where they hit the side of our van, it was described a durable high close metal cladding in the literature, about as durable as tin foil.
PVC cladding if I ever buy again..
Another thing about PVC cladding is, it's not a good conductor of heat, so it doesn't heat up the same and will withstand small knocks far better than metal panels.