Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 14-02-2019, 06:30

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Time to start preparing for the new season!

Good morning all. It's time to refresh our minds and start thinking ahead to the new season.
The first post in this thread has lots of tips for your first visit of the year. There's even a small list of things you can do before your first visit too. For some this will be the first time re-opening.

Here's the link to our "Re-opening your caravan in Spring" thread.

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3457

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Old 15-02-2019, 08:05
Supporting Member

My site is closed for 2 weeks now until the first of March where i'm guessing their will be a lot of activity on our part from owners on the first weekend.

I've been lucky really as i've been using mine all over the winter, Its been like a second home to me and a nice break from a stressful weeks work.

Not much to do when March comes, I'm looking at insulating the underneath and putting Paving Slabs outside to the road, Can't wait
Old 15-02-2019, 09:23

Ours too opens after a 5 week closure on 1st March. Having not had much quality time there last season I’m hoping to make it feel more like home. Move a couple of usb sockets around, shelves in cupboards and fit tv on the wall properly. Still waiting on Pemberton’s to finish off fitting the washing machine (5 months now) ��.
Old 15-02-2019, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
My site is closed for 2 weeks now until the first of March where i'm guessing their will be a lot of activity on our part from owners on the first weekend.

I've been lucky really as i've been using mine all over the winter, Its been like a second home to me and a nice break from a stressful weeks work.

Not much to do when March comes, I'm looking at insulating the underneath and putting Paving Slabs outside to the road, Can't wait
Almost the same jobs as I will be doing before I go home. I need a few slabs to extend my parking area. The vans 14ft wide and then the decking and steps, so it just needs widening slightly.

I do hope to put the same type of insulation as you are going to use under the van. My son wants me to help him with his garden. He's ripped his lawn out and wants to make a feature garden with some of it tiled. I suppose it depends on how long it takes to finish his garden whether or not I get my jobs done.

I have a teak patio set which I cleaned this morning. It's been a great day for doing jobs, I just hope that the weather stays reasonably good otherwise I may have to do it again before I go home.
Old 20-02-2019, 21:43

Before you begin the new season, it's worth checking your *Winter cover dates* on your insurance policy. There will be requirements you have to meet to be fully insured during early/late season. Some companies insist on a full drain down being done during this time.

Old 21-02-2019, 06:54
Supporting Member

Lucky for me i'm onsite most of the winter, and when i'm not i have trace heating and leave the CH on 5 degrees. Not only does this help with the freezing weather but it keeps the caravan fresh and damp free.

My site is closed for 2 weeks now but i can monitor the temp via my phone and check often during cold weather

Cant wait til march when i can start using it again at weekends
Old 22-02-2019, 07:29

We are hoping to get to van after weekend,mainly to check check etc,and hopefully gas cert done.,won't be putting water on til we stay.but will put fridge on,and stock up cupboards...love seeing the daffs all around the plot
Old 22-02-2019, 08:55
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Lucky for me i'm onsite most of the winter, and when i'm not i have trace heating and leave the CH on 5 degrees. Not only does this help with the freezing weather but it keeps the caravan fresh and damp free.

My site is closed for 2 weeks now but i can monitor the temp via my phone and check often during cold weather

Cant wait til march when i can start using it again at weekends
I’m just waiting now for additional underfloor insulation to be installed to complete the upgrade programme to “winter use enable” our ‘van. An easy drain down system & Trace Heating were done 1st. We’ve just had Hive heating control system installed with the underfloor insulation being the last part of our upgrade plan to be completed very soon.
With the weather being as it has for the last few days we’ve managed to spend a most enjoyable 10 days or so, so far at the van since our site reopened 10th Feb but have used the lessons learned from Dec.& Jan stays ( along with others experiences detailed on gostatic) to decide on what ways to improve.
Just sat here, listening to all the birds merrily chirping all around, thinking it’s been money well spent so far.
Old 22-02-2019, 12:21

Sounds like you've got it sussed! Now relax and enjoy

Old 22-02-2019, 13:39
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
Sounds like you've got it sussed! Now relax and enjoy
Thanks Angela.....I hope I’ve got it sorted & I’m certainly enjoying this current weather.