Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 19-03-2014, 09:48

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Let's talk Decking!

Below are just a few ideas of things to discuss regarding decking. I don't expect you to answer everything below, just whatever you have views/ideas about

I'll add links later to previous threads, hopefully this thread will bring all the info together, and make it easier to find.

Does your site allow decking?
What shape is your decking?
What size is it?
What materials have been used?
Was the decking in with the price of your static?
How is it lit at night?
Do you have an unusual decking shape?
Do you have decking at the rear?
Is your pitch an awkward shape and you're looking for some ideas?
What are your sides like? *Are they glass?
How do you keep it clean?
What do you paint it with if wooden?
Has it improved your static caravan life?
Do you have any covering on the floor eg matting/astro turf?
Do you find decking noisy?
How old is your decking?
Have you had it altered/extended/shortened/moved?
In hindsight, how would you change your decking?

*After seeing this at the Caravan and Camping Show at the NEC recently, it made me wonder how different all our decking is
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...ps69092303.jpg

If you want to post a photo of your decking or the style you're looking for, just post a direct link please, not the actual photo.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela M; 19-03-2014 at 09:58.

Old 20-03-2014, 15:48

Decking has evolved, year ago people would build all kinds of wooden structure which over time rotted and fell apart. This evolved into metal decking which lasted forever, but needed painting, could be slippery when wet and was a nightmare to move. I'm not sure we've got any big metal deck left, but when they are bought in with a caravan we get the scrap man in to cut them up.

uPVC decking had had a mixed history. We've had our ups and downs with suppliers and their various products. Some of the companies went bankrupt and reappeared on a regular basis making the 10 year warrantees they offered a joke. Many of the early uPVC decks and more than a few currently supplied are constructed on wooden sub-frames. Some of these were lasting as little as 4 or 5 years before rot made them dangerous and they were scrapped. The decking boards on some of the early decks were make from plywood which also rotted and we've had the odd stiletto heal go right through. Some of the plywood was covered with astroturf, this held water, helped the boards underneath to rot, produced a good crop of mushrooms and meant you cant walk outside in your socks for fear of getting soggy feet. You also could not inspect the deck for rot.

Construction values from some of the companies varied considerably. Our warden will tell you of a deck held to a caravan with one piece of wood screwed to the caravan. When the screw was removed the decking collapsed in a heap. Very dangerous!

Then we found AB Sundecks and realised that decking can last more than a few years without much change in purchase price. Their product is the best we've found. Their subframe is galvanised steal, the posts are uPVC, the boards are also plastic. We've got lots and lots of them on park and frankly they are largely bomb proof. We're often able to more them away from the caravan when the customer wants an upgrade and pop them back again against the new van which saves the customer a fortune. A friend of mine had a caravan in mid wales and when he changed his caravan his old deck was scrapped and he had to start again because it was on a wooden subframe!

So now we only recommend AB Sundecks, our customers only have to spend their money once and get a product that will last as long as the caravan. I should also add that AB offer an insurance backed guarantee which mean your protected.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 20-03-2014, 16:04

Couldn't agree more with you TreeTops, about ABSundecks, they really are second to none. They're not the cheapest but they're most definitely the best in our opinion.
Our neighbour, two vans down, came and looked at ours and then went with a different company. She then dragged the poor man who fitted hers down to our van and pointed out all the things which she didn't get which she was expecting. The poor man actually said that his decking is a far inferior product to ABs and that you only get what you pay for. I don't think he'd tried to mislead her, I think she had unrealistic expectations.
What would we do differently? Our decking is more or less a balcony at the front, just about big enough to get four chairs and a table on. In hindsight I wish we'd had it made bigger and continued it down the side to join up with the steps. I quite like the glass sides too, so maybe have those instead of the white railings we chose.
Hindsight is a very good thing...
Bunty x
Old 20-03-2014, 16:08

AB Sundecks are the designated supplier on our park as well.
Old 20-03-2014, 16:08

Can back up about upgrading van and being able to resite decking at a fraction of buying new again....

Last edited by treetopper; 20-03-2014 at 16:11.
Old 20-03-2014, 16:09

I wonder if prices vary from park to park
Old 20-03-2014, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunty and Biggles View Post
Couldn't agree more with you TreeTops, about ABSundecks, they really are second to none. They're not the cheapest but they're most definitely the best in our opinion.
Our neighbour, two vans down, came and looked at ours and then went with a different company. She then dragged the poor man who fitted hers down to our van and pointed out all the things which she didn't get which she was expecting. The poor man actually said that his decking is a far inferior product to ABs and that you only get what you pay for. I don't think he'd tried to mislead her, I think she had unrealistic expectations.
What would we do differently? Our decking is more or less a balcony at the front, just about big enough to get four chairs and a table on. In hindsight I wish we'd had it made bigger and continued it down the side to join up with the steps. I quite like the glass sides too, so maybe have those instead of the white railings we chose.
Hindsight is a very good thing...
Bunty x
We've had people extend their AB decks and retro fit the glass, it's all possible.

Old 20-03-2014, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by golazzo View Post
I'll jump in and say Yes...compared to other nearby sites on Treetops we get a better deal...we know this because someone on a nearby big site was quoted about 50% more for the same decking as ours
Old 20-03-2014, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by golazzo View Post
Probably, to encourage our customers to use AB we have negotiated a discount for Tree Toppers.

We like AB because there's no problems and those minor ones we have are fixed quickly. Other decking suppliers have caused problems for us and bad feeling when things have gone wrong and the decking company evaporated into thin air.

Old 20-03-2014, 16:17

I've got a quote somewhere. I'll dig it out after and state what it includes and how much. I thought it was very reasonable as well.