Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping > Found

Found Have you found a bargain? Why not share it here.

Old 09-01-2016, 16:05

Default Static Caravan awnings update..

I have been to Holland and I can now say a bit more, I know a lot of parks wont allow it (for now) but after seeing how they fit I'm happy I can get over some of the reservations, I have seen full and canopy types and I think they work great, if not full then a sun/ rain shade over the door and decking would be great. And after removal, the attached colour coded rail that remains doesn't look out of place, and is a selling point for the next owner. Ignore the bright colours, I know we are not that bold... Go to winterproof, then scroll down to static awnings
http://www.beneilers.nl/?lang=en
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/da...?sort=3&page=1
Darren
(I hope its ok to put links here, if not, sorry)

Old 09-01-2016, 16:47
Supporting Member

The size would be a problem on ours and lots of other sites, there just isn't enough room between vans. We can only go out 4' from the side of the van

I wish you well in your venture though and hope you get lots of interest

ML.
Old 09-01-2016, 17:02

Yes, the fire regs are an issue, the parks I saw over there have large private pitches. Some of the parks down by us have larger pitches with decking around, so a covered area might be possible...
Regards
Old 09-01-2016, 18:38

They do look well made & quite useful for the person who has it installed, However, on our site it would be an issue too. because although I have 25 feet or more between the end of my decking and the next door van, if the neighbour in front of me installed one, I would be very unhappy. The decking on that van is already wider than its should be and when they sit on their decking we lose the lovely view from our front window & we can see their every move. makes you feel unintentionally voyeuristic! The people who had our pitch before we got it actually had their van moved to a different area because of it. I agree it may work on some sites but on many sites it would not just be a problem of fire regulations, but an eyesore problem too. Personally, I would hate it if anyone put one of those up to obscure our view & I would soon be down the site office to complain. It would only take a couple of those types of complaint before they were banned for everyone on our site. Individually, a great idea but I know that the number one rule on our site is you are considerate to your neighbours. That is not only behavour, noise etc, but careful placement of sheds etc too. I would do a lot more research into the idea before investing too much time & money in any venture. It would be wise to consult the views of the site owners as a priority. I can think of a few on our site who spend most of their time on their decking & who would love one of these, but not sure it would be allowed to stay there very long if they did!
Old 09-01-2016, 18:38

Great idea for extra living space. I've got a 6 ft wide balcony and walkway. Making enquiries now about re-siting the van and balcony I found out only yesterday about 'new regs' that would disallow a move to one site because the balcony is too big. I don't know what that's all about and it's the first time it's been mentioned.

Some pitches are tiny but where there's room and fire regs are being met, why not? (Of course with the proviso that it doesn't adversely affect neighbours). It's only what tourers are already allowed, after all!

Last edited by sxjack; 09-01-2016 at 18:42. Reason: addition
Old 10-01-2016, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxjack View Post
Great idea for extra living space. I've got a 6 ft wide balcony and walkway. Making enquiries now about re-siting the van and balcony I found out only yesterday about 'new regs' that would disallow a move to one site because the balcony is too big. I don't know what that's all about and it's the first time it's been mentioned.

Some pitches are tiny but where there's room and fire regs are being met, why not? (Of course with the proviso that it doesn't adversely affect neighbours). It's only what tourers are already allowed, after all!
Personally, I prefer conformity of look.....otherwise there is a potential for the site to look like a shanty town with different interpretations of the same rules
Old 10-01-2016, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
Personally, I prefer conformity of look.....otherwise there is a potential for the site to look like a shanty town with different interpretations of the same rules
And that it it in a nutshell. We have rules that say decking should be up to a certain size, rules covering the number & size of sheds & storage boxes, the colour of caravans, on our site no planting of non UK native plants & no artificial plants or flowers, you can have any deck lighting or solar lighting of choice but it must stay within a certain boundary of your caravan & it must be white for illumination not garish flashy flashy multi colored stuff & the same for any garden ornaments etc. The idea is to create tidyness via conformity. If you say to one person, yes you can have an awning or bigger decking, or whatever & you say to others no you can't because your pitch is not suitable, then you create a division where some stuff is allowed for some & not for others. If you have as few rules as possible, but make these rules sensible so everyone knows where they stand, it makes for a tidy site and fewer arguments between caravan owners. Site owners prefer this as it makes for a quieter life & makes their job of providing a clean, tidy & well maintained site that much easier. Some might think that these rules are not needed or desirable but just as an example, one couple took up the whole area surrounding their van with concrete statues of animals & other ornaments. Looked quite nice actually during the day but were a trip hazard to others at night & they stopped the grass mowers from having a clear run to cut the grass. Then they complained that the grass around their caravan was not maintained as well as the rest of the site. One chap went to the extreme and had at least half a dozen sheds, storage boxes & outbuildings all around his caravan. So a rule was introduced to limit the size & number of external storage. Not making rules for rules sake, but to avoid the excesses of a few to the detriment of others.

Last edited by RRRob; 10-01-2016 at 09:13.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:35

Nor do I disagee with any of that, being a minimalist neat freak!
Old 10-01-2016, 18:55

This is a secondary market, its touring caravan all year round awnings I'm aiming for first. I've worked on caravan parks for 20 years and have seen first hand what customers are capable of, give an inch as they say... I think there will be enough private statics without such restrictions to get us going for starters, we'll see. Thanks for the feed back, I'll let you know what my park owner contact thinks.
Regards
Old 10-01-2016, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzafox View Post
This is a secondary market, its touring caravan all year round awnings I'm aiming for first. I've worked on caravan parks for 20 years and have seen first hand what customers are capable of, give an inch as they say... I think there will be enough private statics without such restrictions to get us going for starters, we'll see. Thanks for the feed back, I'll let you know what my park owner contact thinks.
Regards
Good luck, please let us know how this develops.