Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 21:48

Default Power cut

On visiting our van this weekend we found out by chance that the previous weekend there had been a power cut lasting about 30 hours that effected the whole site. As a result we have thrown away the contents of our freezer as a precaution. My question is does the site management have a responsibility to advise van owners when something like this has happened? I am very concerned as we have two young grandchildren that we could unknowingly given "spoiled" food to.

Old 04-08-2019, 22:31
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspleo View Post
On visiting our van this weekend we found out by chance that the previous weekend there had been a power cut lasting about 30 hours that effected the whole site. As a result we have thrown away the contents of our freezer as a precaution. My question is does the site management have a responsibility to advise van owners when something like this has happened? I am very concerned as we have two young grandchildren that we could unknowingly given "spoiled" food to.
Its a nightmare when this happens but you could claim off your caravan insurance if your covered for Power Cuts or Freezers.

I do the old penny on top of the icecube trick, If the electrics off and i don't know i check the icecube tray to make sure the penny is on top of the ice, if its inside then i know that the electric has been off for a while and the freezer has defrosted.

I was doing some work at my caravan once, Just paperwork from work on my laptop and all of a sudden the electric went off, Workman had disconnected the Plug from outside and plugged in an extension lead. When i went out there and ask them to stop stealing my Electric they quickly plugged my lead in but then that caused the trip inside to trip.

Had i not been there my electric would of been used without my knowledge and because of the trip i too would of lost my food in the freezer!

Last edited by Gerry1964; 07-08-2019 at 04:22.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:56

Before we bought our caravan, the site owner mentioned this can happen ... just of course, like it can at home. We choose not to leave food in the freezer when we leave, but have spoken to people on site who do.
Old 05-08-2019, 21:40

I like the idea of the penny. Great tip :-)
Old 06-08-2019, 16:25

Default Electricity power failure

Quote:
Similar happened to us a few years back when electrical repair work was carried out at our van whilst we were not there. We didn't find out until we next visited when it was far too late. You couldn't miss the smell even before we opened up the freezer and it took several weeks of cleaning and air fresher aids to eventually clear the smell.
We complained to the site manager who eventually accepted the mistake by staff as both of us had checked the supply was on to the fridge freezer when we left, as we always did and still do.
Fortunately we were offered the opportunity to replace the spoilt items which we did and provided a receipt for the replacements we purchased. This was accepted as a gesture of goodwill by management and we were reimbursed without any loss but even so I'd still rather not have had it happen. Fingers crossed it hasn't happened since but I consider we were very fortunate to have an understanding site manager.
Old 07-08-2019, 14:42
Supporting Member

Quote:
I like the idea of the penny. Great tip :-)
The Penny tip is great but i found that in the summer everyone was going for the ice cubes and taking the penny off. what i didn then was use one of those plastic containers you get inside kinder eggs, Fill half with water and freeze, once frozen you can sit the penny on top and put the other half on. You can leave this anywhere in your freezer and one half will always be frozen. Open it every now and again if you suspect the freezer has been off and you'll see the penny frozen in the water.

With this idea you can put the "egg" anywhere even on its side, and if it defrosts the penny will be refrozen within the water.

Therefore freeing up your ice cubes

Or an other way is using a small plastic bottle Fill half with water Upright and when frozen Lay it down at the back or in amongst the food, The Ice inside will be 90 degrees, and half the bottle will still be empty, If defrosting has occured, then the water would refreeze horizontally, thus a visual indicator of a power cut and the Freezer defrosting.

You could also use this as an indicator that although you may of had a power cut, the fact that it still frozen 90 degress shows that the temperature inside is still below freezing and you won't have to throw your food.

Simple but effective

Last edited by Gerry1964; 07-08-2019 at 14:46.
Old 07-08-2019, 18:22

We put a couple of ice cubes in a food bag , if there a blob next time we go we know to Chuck the food.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
We put a couple of ice cubes in a food bag , if there a blob next time we go we know to Chuck the food.
Excellent and alot easier