Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Park Homes

Park Homes Discussion for those living in a Park Home

Old 12-04-2016, 02:23

Thank you for the answers everyone and I really didn't mean to offend. I was going off comments from other threads re build quality etc but as I said, may be completely off the mark!

It's just such a mine field, in something I know nothing about. I kept hearing the old 'Pemberton are the rolls-Royce' comment. Sticking with the car analogy, I'm the kind of person that would rather drive around in a reliable years old volvo estate and feel super safe, my Mates for instance, would rather a brand new compact with a good CD player. All personal preference.

I'm going to look on Thursday, looks like most of the stock at this dealer is Atlas, Abi, Willerby with a few others mixed in so hopefully it'll give me a good feel for things.
Funnily enough, insulation and glazing is the top of my list. Looks like I can get a great Abi with DG for my budget. Lots of the older vans, while I Prefer the less 'open plan' layout, aren't going to have DG and I have to remember when I'm freezing my butt off, swimming in condensation in the winter I'm really not going to give one if I can see the kitchen or not!
Still, we shall see when I get there what feels right and how the spaces work

Old 12-04-2016, 06:49

Good hunting....
Old 12-04-2016, 12:32

When looking at wall insulation, look at the thickness of the walls. Vans with poorer insulation are only about 50mm thick so I've been told. Try and find a van with walls at least 100mm thickness.
Old 12-04-2016, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
When looking at wall insulation, look at the thickness of the walls. Vans with poorer insulation are only about 50mm thick so I've been told. Try and find a van with walls at least 100mm thickness.
On the vans that actually quote the thickness of the insulation that they put in their vans, most put 50 mm in walls 100 to 120 mm roof insulation and 75 mm of floor insulation. Willerby only put 75 mm in the wall insulation 120 mm in the roof and 75 mm floor insulation in their BS3632 residential spec lodges.

ABI put 100 mm in their van roof spaces but substantially less in the walls.

I'm not saying it will be impossible to find a van with 100 mm wall insulation but it may be difficult unless it's made to BS3632 residential spec. Then you're talking a lot more money.
Old 12-04-2016, 13:41

Ours has 100mm in the walls because it does have a residential spec. Many vans on our site do, including older vans because we have a long season, people think it's worth the investment. We cannot be the only park where this is the case, so there must be some second hand vans out there with this insulation.
Old 12-04-2016, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Ours has 100mm in the walls because it does have a residential spec. Many vans on our site do, including older vans because we have a long season, people think it's worth the investment. We cannot be the only park where this is the case, so there must be some second hand vans out there with this insulation.
I'm sure there will be some vans out there. To be honest I'm glad we went for it, it could be the difference between enjoying our time in the van or wondering why we ever did it.
Old 12-04-2016, 17:07

My thinking is that if the OP intends to live in the van, even for only a couple of years, then it would be prudent to try and find a van with a residential spec. I appreciate that even with a residential spec a caravan is not as well insulated as bricks and mortar, but it is better than not having a residential spec at all. I'm sure our fuel bills would be a lot higher, if we did not have it. I'm not sure if having a residential spec would make a difference to the price on a second hand van, but if it does, then I think it's worth paying, but that is just IMHO.
Old 28-04-2016, 22:48

Thank you all for the responses. It occurred to me after looking that quite frankly it's more about the feeling you get from the space than anything else really. I saw some lovely vans but for my circumstances they felt like a holiday chalet rather than a livable space. I wanted to be able to feel cosy and 'at home'.
After seeing around 50 vans I've gone for an older Atlas Ovation. I really love it in terms of layout and how it will work for me... I think it has more wardrobe space than I have at home now!
It's not the best in terms of insulation etc (some underfloor) but given the price I can address this as required and as money allows. First thing will be a 'porch' type structure and a good thick underlay and carpet. Adding a bit more underneath the van and some skirting too.
Since its on our own land we can clad it of required etc. While it may seem uneconomical whereas buying a higher spec van could be sold on, we spent around 6-8k less than buying the cheapest van with any kind of reasonable residential spec so there's some play financially.
Hoping to take delivery mid-end May so hopefully I won't be too cold for a while yet!!
Will be sad to leave my home but I'm happy to be going into something that I feel exited about, can plan for and at this stage, feel a lot of affection for. Ask me again come the winter

Last edited by Cocopops; 28-04-2016 at 22:51.
Old 29-04-2016, 00:00

Great news CocoPops. It sounds like you're really happy with your purchase and that's the main thing as far as I'm concerned. Good luck with setting up the van and I'm sure by the time next winter comes (if this winter ever ends ) you should be ready for whatever the British weather can throw at you. I bet with the extra insulation you will be as snug as a bug in a rug!
Old 29-04-2016, 14:53

Enjoy your new purchase. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.