Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Park Homes

Park Homes Discussion for those living in a Park Home

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02

Default soon to be in !!!!!!

So, looks like we are going to move into our new fully residential van this month.AT LAST !!.

Whilst we have loads of storage in the bedrooms,Bathrooms and sitting room. We are very limited in the Kitchen.

What I need your help with is ; Imaginative,logical,workable solutions for storage in the Kitchen.

We have 1 double under the sink unit that extends into a corner. 1 cupboard next to the cooker and 1 side cupboard. several wall display units.

How have you all over come the storage problems in the kitchen folks ??.

All super dooper suggestions needed...HELP.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:26

Exciting times for you.
Cannot help much with the kitchen storage, as our home came with more storage in the kitchen than we had at our previous home (our main two design specifications were light and storage!).
I suspect that ideas will come to you after you have move in - you will decide that some of your bits and pieces are no longer needed, and you will find that space in cupboards can be extended with free standing racks and trays (think Wilko and Lakeland). Nicer pieces can be kept out on display, maybe on the wall. And is there space on top of the wall cupboards for lesser used items? (be careful not to put anything too heavy up there).
Hopefully the under-sink cupboard that goes into the corner already has one of those magic corner units which pull out as you open the door, if not they can be retro-fitted, or again large baskets to make access easier.
If there is a gap alongside any of the floor units, one of the freestanding very thin cabinets (B&Q,Wilko, Coopers of Stortford) will fit in.
Whatever you do, there will be several re-arrangings before things feel just right (even with all our storage space, I rearranged three times in the first year - hubby thought it was purposely done to confuse him).
Come to think of it - I feel another re-arrangement coming on...
Happy days, and wishing you many happy years in your new home.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52

How have you all over come the storage problems in the kitchen folks ??. Probably not what you want to hear but I tell you what we did when our new van had less storage than our old one. We did the same as when we downsized our 4 bedroom house to our bungalow when we retired. We prioritized what we really needed and chucked out the rest. Made what we had fit the van not made the van fit what we had. Sounds drastic but we found it a simpler and better option .

Last edited by RRRob; 04-08-2018 at 12:44.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:57

Thanks fhb. We have already got rid of loads of things but, as you say we will still have too much. Might try the re-arrange trick just to keep the other half on his toes !!!!!!
Will keep all you say in mind.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
How have you all over come the storage problems in the kitchen folks ??. Probably not what you want to hear but I tell you what we did when our new van had less storage than our old one. We did the same as when we downsized our 4 bedroom house to our bungalow when we retired. We prioritized what we really needed and chucked out the rest. Made what we had fit the van not made the fan fit what we had. Sounds drastic but we found it a simpler and better option .
RRROb..Think thats what we are doing so far. Only time will tell.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05

I must admit we are quite well covered for storage space in the kitchen we have a double width breakfast bar with storage on both sides as well as other units and wall units and a tall pantry.

The trouble is, you never have enough storage, especially in a van. We keep a sage pressure cooker a food mixer and other appliances on the unit tops. There is room for them and it saves trying to find a home for them in the cupboards. As I bake my own bread etc, storage in the kitchen was a priority. We have an oak display cabinet in the lounge area where we store a Nutri NinjaFood processor and blender. The top half of the door is glass and the bottom half oak, so you can't see all the bits and pieces that comes with it. So if you have any storage in your lounge area, perhaps you can utilise that space for items that you don't use all the time.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:18
Supporting Member

We got some adjustable wire shelves from Dunhelm that have enough space under for tins etc. and then on top for whatever, depending on the shelf or cupboard top above.
They increased the usable space in our cupboards and might help you a bit.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:50

Good Luck hope all goes well
Old 02-08-2018, 22:44

Glad to hear you are almost installed in the new van Michelle. Hope the rest of it goes smoothly. Kitchen storage space is awkward and the corner cupboards not helpful. I can't reach the back of ours. We kitted ours out quickly in the beginning but have ended up re-buying some things to fit better. Pans, bowls, jugs etc. that fit inside one another. The pound stores have helped no end with this..... like 4 plastic jugs that fit inside one another. Wire veg rack on castors useful storage for other things and easily shifted elsewhere when floor space needed. Larger plastic boxes/small crates with lids that stack inside base cupboards, so use the height better than loose items. We have a Keter storage box outside that doubles as a backless seat and stores all the extra stuff and cleaning materials etc. that aren't in use all the time. Our van has double beds on legs. We use plastic laundry baskets with smooth bases under those (cheap from Aldi) to store all sorts of kitchen things and loads of cans of food. They slide out easily even with heavy weight. Deeper than the plastic storage crates on wheels made for the purpose. Also have some of the little padded storage cubes that come flat and double as a stool for little people. They are in the lounge area. Again they are flexible storage and cheap and hide all sorts of stuff. We found that we were short of space in the kitchen but had lots of empty unused space in the main bedroom so measured the depth of the wardrobe and cupboards there and bought the biggest plastic storage boxes with lids that we could fit in the gaps. We even manage to have unused spaces in the van...........which we never have had in the house !!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:40

Default Storage solutions.

Wow !!!!!!....Thank you everyone...

You are all a font of knowledge,will take on board all thats said.

Will let you know in a month or so if i have managed it..Somehow I think I will be back once I have moved in asking loads more.

Cheers all.