Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 01-12-2018, 20:08
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Not sure if you could use a normal phone sim as the data on those are normally quite low, dependent on the tariff. If you have an old contract phone you don't use you could try and change the tariff for more data and you'll find that you'll get unlimited calls and texts also which means you'll be able to pop it back into your mobile when your not at the caravan.

However Giff Gaff will give you 20gb of data for £20 with no contract https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-pl...YaAkOAEALw_wcB

But that would depend on the signal strength for that particular provider
i have found sim card providers do not allow phone sim to work in a wifi devise, i tried 4 providers at our mid wales site, vodafone did not work,, ee worked well, three just about worked, i measured the speeds and ee gave me 32mb download, three 6mb download, i then tried BT as they use the EE network, i also took advantage of the black friday deal to upgrade my home broadband ( already on top fibre one ) added BT+ so got extra speed at home 65mb from 58mb, double data on all my mobiles ( 4 of them ) and extra speed on my wifi card tested yesterday at the van, getting 42mb download, 18 mb upload 30gb a month for £22, so faster than ee and £6 a month cheaper, same network, even says ee network on my router but its a BT label on the sim card, i am happy now, the service i get with the BT+ gives me 4g lte, i can not see much difference from my home fibre, i originally got the wifi to run my hive heating controller, but got extra data when in the summer the site wifi was very slow, seems everyone and some dogs ( yes literally location collars ) were using the site wifi, so started testing usage, speeds, not all sims / providers work everywhere, there are basically only 4 service providers, ee, three, Vodafone and o2 all other sims rent line space from one of the main 4, EE seems to be the best, Vodafone the bigger coverage,
i have used around .87 of a gb a day ( no netflix though ) on test, heavy winter use mac book and 2 iPad, lots of amazon shopping, lots of youtube, and facebook, on site around 5 days a week so expect to use 18gb plus some films on netflix ( around 3gb a film i am led to believe ) so in theory usual internet use, plus a film a week per month, i am now all bt now, home BB 4 mobiles, mifi, home phone, and iPad on pay as you go EE, hope my comments findings help others, my own tests in my own site but generally use and how much is needed per month, depending what you do of course, ( try to do any updates, downloads ) at home prior to going to site, i do leave to 2 mobile phones on the site wifi as only use for sms and calls and messenger with the kids at home.
keep enjoying the vans people, was it really 36 degrees in the van in the summer........ seems a while ago now

Old 02-12-2018, 06:56

I was over last week. We used 2GB in as many days. Bought 20gb + 1 free on Wednesday and as I left on Thursday, only my wife using it. Have used 4.8GB. As a teacher she is not back from work until after 6 but working on it in the evening. No streaming. So it’s using at least 1GB a day. I believe uploading is much more expensive and as everything has to be saved on the school server, she has no option. For security reasons your not aloud to save to memory sticks. As I said it’s not a major problem but we don’t want to waste money either .

Last edited by nichthewood; 02-12-2018 at 06:59.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45

We have a new deal on Wi-Fi starting 1st March. Yearly voucher £40 for two devices. Only 2Mbps.

Broadband 20Mbps £10 per Month with£100 installation and set up.

Broadband 50Mbps £25 per month with £100 installation and set up.

All on a monthly basis with no contract. Start and stop whenever you like
Old 02-12-2018, 15:39
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
We have a new deal on Wi-Fi starting 1st March. Yearly voucher £40 for two devices. Only 2Mbps.

Broadband 20Mbps £10 per Month with£100 installation and set up.

Broadband 50Mbps £25 per month with £100 installation and set up.

All on a monthly basis with no contract. Start and stop whenever you like
Thats great and its nice if your site has a decent WIFI setup. Ours is about £150 a year but so slow and they don't recommend watching tv like netflix or now tv.

I have my set up just as i want it, Not only do i have 50GB to play with but my mobile is connected to that when we're down the park as well as my missus and kids, so we don't use up all our phone data.

My Kids would be lost without the internet so thats why i did the set up i did, so we could watch movies, do work, and social media.

If i decide to rent out the caravan i could add an entertainment package to the cost of the rental for Internet, Movies and more something Like £20 extra and i'll give them the wifi password for that week. That way not only would i be giving them something extra but helping towards the £30 a month cost of the Data Sim (50GB)

But because i already had a contract with my iphone for £15 a month, then in reality, its only costing me and Extra £15 a month on top of the original cost of the phone contract.

The O2 Sim i used was the same one i had in my phone, the only thing i changed was the tariff from mobile to data.

Another thing i was looking at was a voip phone, which connects to the back of the Hub. That way i would be able to have a phone in the caravan, to make and receive calls all i need is a Phone number which you can rent for £2.99 a month, and you can choose the area code to anywhere in the UK, so if you wanted to use your Home's area code you can on a number as opposed to the caravans area code for the town its in.

Calls come off the data, so no further charges for receiving or making calls.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Thats great and its nice if your site has a decent WIFI setup. Ours is about £150 a year but so slow and they don't recommend watching tv like netflix or now tv.

I have my set up just as i want it, Not only do i have 50GB to play with but my mobile is connected to that when we're down the park as well as my missus and kids, so we don't use up all our phone data.

My Kids would be lost without the internet so thats why i did the set up i did, so we could watch movies, do work, and social media.

If i decide to rent out the caravan i could add an entertainment package to the cost of the rental for Internet, Movies and more something Like £20 extra and i'll give them the wifi password for that week. That way not only would i be giving them something extra but helping towards the £30 a month cost of the Data Sim (50GB)

But because i already had a contract with my iphone for £15 a month, then in reality, its only costing me and Extra £15 a month on top of the original cost of the phone contract.

The O2 Sim i used was the same one i had in my phone, the only thing i changed was the tariff from mobile to data.

Another thing i was looking at was a voip phone, which connects to the back of the Hub. That way i would be able to have a phone in the caravan, to make and receive calls all i need is a Phone number which you can rent for £2.99 a month, and you can choose the area code to anywhere in the UK, so if you wanted to use your Home's area code you can on a number as opposed to the caravans area code for the town its in.

Calls come off the data, so no further charges for receiving or making calls.
Apparently there will be quite a large mast going up in an adjoining field which the park own.

Your set up seems to be good. so you'll be set up for all eventualities.

Back home in Spain, I'm a shareholder in our bank. Because of that my internet is 12 euros per month+ IVA which is the equivalent to our VAT @ 21%. For that I get 50 Mbps, a landline with free Spanish calls and English calls at 1cent per minute. All free to air English TV and I can stop payments when I'm back in the UK. The only stipulation is that you pay from the start of the month when you have it reset and when it's tuned off you pay to the end of the month. It's cable straight into the house with free router and no set up fee. That sort of deal suits me as at present we are in the UK longer than we are in Spain.

Wi-Fi and ADSL used to be very expensive but the market has opened up and there are some very good deals around.

Last edited by Mosquito; 03-12-2018 at 10:18.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthewood View Post
Hi and thanks for excepting me to this great site.
We have just bought a static caravan in Cheshire. There is WiFi on site with boosters all over the site. Unfortunately we are at the end of the signal. We find to get a reliable signal inside we need to have the window open. Is there an extender we can buy that we can fit to the outside of the caravan and bring in inside via a cable to an inside extender. Fingers crossed. Nichthewood
When we had our van we used the predecessor of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D064V..._t2_B009DPN8CK

It is a USB connection to laptop or if your tablet has a USB port (probably rules out an IPad), you would need one for each device. Do you know how good the WiFi is as that is vital? There is no point in having a strong connection to the site's WiFi if the site's WiFi has a poor speed to connect to the internet. It is an internal aerial but worked when placed at window with line of sight to site's WiFi repeaters. You would also need the USB cable (preferably 2m+ long.) Suction pad fixes it to window.
They will not provide an amplified WiFi signal within the van only to the device they are connected to via USB.
Would obviously save the on the 4G charges especially if streaming TV.

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 04-12-2018, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
When we had our van we used the predecessor of this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D064V..._t2_B009DPN8CK

It is a USB connection to laptop or if your tablet has a USB port (probably rules out an IPad), you would need one for each device. Do you know how good the WiFi is as that is vital? There is no point in having a strong connection to the site's WiFi if the site's WiFi has a poor speed to connect to the internet. It is an internal aerial but worked when placed at window with line of sight to site's WiFi repeaters. You would also need the USB cable (preferably 2m+ long.) Suction pad fixes it to window.
They will not provide an amplified WiFi signal within the van only to the device they are connected to via USB.
Would obviously save the on the 4G charges especially if streaming TV.
Just taken a look at your pics. It looks fantastic. You have some great views.
Old 04-12-2018, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Just taken a look at your pics. It looks fantastic. You have some great views.
Thanks Mosquito. Gave it up two years ago, van then eight years old, family didn't use it, we were going for just the sake of going, pebble beach our cocker spaniel wasn't too keen on (probably hurt his paws at some point).
Also site was a drive away from anything, there was a coastal path to the nearest village with a pub but that was erroding badly.

WiFi not good purely due to remoteness of site and distance from exchange with almost non existant 3G/4G coverage - apart from that is was great

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 05-12-2018, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
i have found sim card providers do not allow phone sim to work in a wifi devise, i tried 4 providers at our mid wales site, vodafone did not work,, ee worked well, three just about worked, i measured the speeds and ee gave me 32mb download, three 6mb download, i then tried BT as they use the EE network, i also took advantage of the black friday deal to upgrade my home broadband ( already on top fibre one ) added BT+ so got extra speed at home 65mb from 58mb, double data on all my mobiles ( 4 of them ) and extra speed on my wifi card tested yesterday at the van, getting 42mb download, 18 mb upload 30gb a month for £22, so faster than ee and £6 a month cheaper, same network, even says ee network on my router but its a BT label on the sim card, i am happy now, the service i get with the BT+ gives me 4g lte, i can not see much difference from my home fibre, i originally got the wifi to run my hive heating controller, but got extra data when in the summer the site wifi was very slow, seems everyone and some dogs ( yes literally location collars ) were using the site wifi, so started testing usage, speeds, not all sims / providers work everywhere, there are basically only 4 service providers, ee, three, Vodafone and o2 all other sims rent line space from one of the main 4, EE seems to be the best, Vodafone the bigger coverage,
i have used around .87 of a gb a day ( no netflix though ) on test, heavy winter use mac book and 2 iPad, lots of amazon shopping, lots of youtube, and facebook, on site around 5 days a week so expect to use 18gb plus some films on netflix ( around 3gb a film i am led to believe ) so in theory usual internet use, plus a film a week per month, i am now all bt now, home BB 4 mobiles, mifi, home phone, and iPad on pay as you go EE, hope my comments findings help others, my own tests in my own site but generally use and how much is needed per month, depending what you do of course, ( try to do any updates, downloads ) at home prior to going to site, i do leave to 2 mobile phones on the site wifi as only use for sms and calls and messenger with the kids at home.
keep enjoying the vans people, was it really 36 degrees in the van in the summer........ seems a while ago now
I have an o2 SIM in my Wi-Fi device and it works perfectly well!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax90 View Post
Thanks Mosquito. Gave it up two years ago, van then eight years old, family didn't use it, we were going for just the sake of going, pebble beach our cocker spaniel wasn't too keen on (probably hurt his paws at some point).
Also site was a drive away from anything, there was a coastal path to the nearest village with a pub but that was erroding badly.

WiFi not good purely due to remoteness of site and distance from exchange with almost non existant 3G/4G coverage - apart from that is was great
I get it. Christine has to have somewhere to shop that isn't too far away so it wouldn't do for us . Walking around there would be fantastic so I could see the area being a good draw for people who love the tranquility of the place and as I say love walking.