Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 27-01-2019, 15:34

Default oldest caravan you would consider

can anyone tell me please the oldest caravan they would consider as a first purchase , assuming youre trying the hobby/lifestyle and the site may have a age restriction , forget budget for a minute but for you to have a good few years without the threat of having to trade your van in , what would you say 2000,2004, 2007,2011 regards craig

Old 27-01-2019, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig12 View Post
can anyone tell me please the oldest caravan they would consider as a first purchase , assuming youre trying the hobby/lifestyle and the site may have a age restriction , forget budget for a minute but for you to have a good few years without the threat of having to trade your van in , what would you say 2000,2004, 2007,2011 regards craig
A difficult one Craig ?....I believe if you like the caravan ....And it feels right ...Then that's the one !!!Age should not be a factor so long as you can keep it where you want it .... Sadly site and park owners have other ideas hence age restrictions ??

(Incidentally ...Nothing to do with caravans ...But i have a 50 year old classic car !!...I'd put it up against any modern car any day !)
Old 27-01-2019, 15:56

can level with you ive had 2 gilbern invaders 2 x mgb gts a orion 1600e and currently have a Vauxhall magnum 1975 1800 , much better than new cars
and I couldn't agree more sir , im drawn to statics that have bench seating , plenty of mahogany , draylon etc , I know im old fashioned , the cosalts and older carnabys are just brilliant

Last edited by craig12; 27-01-2019 at 15:59.
Old 27-01-2019, 15:59

Quote:
can level with you ive had 2 gilbern invaders 2 x mgb gts a orion 1600e and currently have a Vauxhall magnum 1975 1800 , much better than new cars
Great to have a fellow enthusiast on here ...Mines a Jaguar mark 2 1968 .With 61,000 on the clock
Old 27-01-2019, 16:02

ive gotta be brutally honest , if I could find an old Carnaby or cosalt that a site would let me keep on id be in heaven (as long as it had a good chassis and boiler of course)
Old 27-01-2019, 16:02

Quote:
and I couldn't agree more sir , im drawn to statics that have bench seating , plenty of mahogany , draylon etc , I know im old fashioned , the cosalts and older carnabys are just brilliant
Mines a willerby with free standing furniture which is great because you can have a change around and replace stuff no problem...I think it's best to have an older "top of the range " model than a new basic model...Same with cars !!
Old 27-01-2019, 16:09

I totally agree sir , its a real shame on the age restriction , cos after all the site may well sell me an old Carnaby at £8000 but then say now its time to move on up , hey wait a minute what about the old Carnaby you just sold me , if I remember right there was a site at skegness , I think it was called tags , there was some real old bangers on there in 70s and 80s but the owner let the vans on old curved roof pembertons , caravans with gas mantles (call keith lard) no problem , yes the site had no club , no bingo and I think you fetched the water in those tall plastic things that came in red, blue , yellow that had a giant plug on a chain on top , but happy days
Old 27-01-2019, 16:13

Cant answer that question Craig , but general rule of thumb when buying a van is select the site first , then the pitch then the van , so find your ideal site and see what’s available , you then have the choice to purchase or wait for something to become available ...sites generally turnover 5 - 10% of their plots each year so no need to rush in .
Old 28-01-2019, 09:36
Supporting Member

My First one was 2003 and as a first caravan i loved it but it had no Double Glazing, no central heating and the water heater kept on shutting down when it was windy

6 Months later i upgraded for the one i got now after loving the caravan life

My advice is buy what you can afford to start off with and should you enjoy it well enough to upgrade or part exchange for a newer one then do it.
Old 28-01-2019, 09:53
Supporting Member

It depends on the site ( find this 1st) and it’s age policy. If you can get a decent van that offers say 2-3 seasons that leaves you financially able to upgrade when the time comes then I’d say go for it. Treat the first van as valueless in your calculations & the money as spent.
Then just enjoy the experience and take it from there.
If you do decide to upgrade you will by then know more about what it is about a ‘vans design suits you and be able to choose one ( that’s right for you) for the future.