Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:37

Default New but keen!

We are newbies....I'm going to retire within the next two years and local rents are sky high, our flat goes with my job....so I researched statics and low and behold found a good deal on the River Wyre residential site...the outcome being that we have bought a nice Atlas Capricorn and are able to slowly get used to the life over the next year or two before retirement...any advice welcome. Steve

Old 09-03-2019, 11:47

Hello and welcome.
Not wishing to put a dampener on your plans, but it sounds as if you have purchased a holiday home on a holiday site, which could cause problems when you retire if you are planning to use it as your permanent home.
As far as I am aware, Atlas Capricorn is not specced for residential use, and it would be extremely unlikely that a licensed residential park would sell this as a residential home.
Additionally, the River Wyre Caravan Park in Singleton does not seem to be residential but for holiday use only.
I really hope I have misread your post and you have purchased this as a holiday home, or even just as a stop-gap while you are looking for a permanent home.
Old 09-03-2019, 14:03
Supporting Member

soul rock man to the forum.
I have to say that I agree with fhb that you need to make sure the park you are referring to is a “residential” park and not a “holiday” park. Putting your money into a static ‘van to live in on the wrong park could result in either you being turfed off the park at short notice or worse.
Old 17-03-2019, 09:27

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Here is an example of the reason we are concerned for you

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/mid-suff...year-1-5940523

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 18-03-2019, 07:59
Supporting Member

The clue is in the title "Holiday Park" You will however get people who will chance it, on my site, they know its a holiday park but since its open 11.5 months of the year they book into another Holiday park for 2 weeks so thats their holiday so to speak.

If its a Residential site you can have post delivered, you have a council tax bill for that address, and ideally your "Home" should be upto the required standard and not simply a holiday static.

Not to mention the council thinking your avoiding paying your council tax

Fines of upto 1000 is not uncommon plus you face getting kicked off by the site, like others have said its so important to know the difference between a holiday site and a residential site, otherwise you could lose more than your money.

Last edited by Gerry1964; 18-03-2019 at 09:37.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:38

One of the biggest risks is the site changing management or owners. New owners will want to make money, to make money they need empty pitches, to get empty pitches they will look to see who can be legally ordered to vacate the pitch (i.e, not just leave but take your static with you). Anyone using the static as their main home will be fair game, and there will not be any means of redress. Caravan sites (residential and holiday) are big business these days.
Incidentally, I often wonder if those using a holiday home as their main home and using the closed period for a change of scenery - what happens if they are ill? Not much fun changing locations then.
Old 18-03-2019, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
Hello and welcome.
Not wishing to put a dampener on your plans, but it sounds as if you have purchased a holiday home on a holiday site, which could cause problems when you retire if you are planning to use it as your permanent home.
As far as I am aware, Atlas Capricorn is not specced for residential use, and it would be extremely unlikely that a licensed residential park would sell this as a residential home.
Additionally, the River Wyre Caravan Park in Singleton does not seem to be residential but for holiday use only.
I really hope I have misread your post and you have purchased this as a holiday home, or even just as a stop-gap while you are looking for a permanent home.
I have been assured by the site that it is fully residential and I am checking with Atlas as to what spec it is, residential or holiday. Thanks for advice though
Old 18-03-2019, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulnrockman View Post
I have been assured by the site that it is fully residential and I am checking with Atlas as to what spec it is, residential or holiday. Thanks for advice though
Easily sorted,ask to see the site licence.....
Old 18-03-2019, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulnrockman View Post
As Treetopper has said,ask to see the site licence.
Do NOT rely solely on information from the site or a salesman or an estate agent.
You need confirmation that this is a Protected Site under the Mobile Homes Act. Anything other than this is NOT a residential site.
Som of the signs that it may NOT be a residential park:
- You will be asked for another address.
- It has a closed season when you have to leave the Park.
- Post is collected from the office.
- You do not have to register for council tax.
- Your rubbish and recycling has to go into a communal bin(no kerbside collections by the council).
- You will be able to own the home without using it as your main address (i.e, you can buy the home and still use your work accommodation as your main home).
- You do not receive a Written Statement under the Mobile Homes Act.
- You are given a lease agreement.
- You have to pay VAT on your pitch fee.
- The pitch fee does not have a fixed annual review date.

ADDED:
Wyre Council seem pretty clued up about caravan sites, so could be a good idea to call them to check not only if the Park is licensed for residential use under the Mobile Homes Act, but also if the entire park is residential or if it is split holiday and residential. There do not seem to be any site rules lodged by River Wyre Caravan Park with Wyre Council, which means one of two things: It is NOT residential, or there are NO site rules.

Last edited by fhb; 18-03-2019 at 18:39. Reason: Added line:
Old 18-03-2019, 21:56

soulnrockman, If you have purchased the van I hope that the assurances that the site gave you is in writing. If it is and the site turns out not to be a licensed residential park, you will have a good case against them. If you haven't got anything in writing, I would be asking for it.