Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 30-07-2019, 08:57

Red face Getting post and deliveries whilst on park.

Hi ,
In April this year we lost part of our roof on our stactic. It’s taken months to repair and we lost sofabed ,sofa , coffee table, dining table chairs ,Venetian blinds and curtains and outdoor furniture to name just a few .
We come to this site for family reasons as it is four hours away from home and where the site is situated it has limited shops.
We came down with a van of furniture but the sofa was to be delivered separately along with four items ordered online which we directed to Reception as we have done previously.
However unbeknown to us the site has changed its rules. ( We don’t get newsletters. Apparently you have to check the park rules on the website. )It no longer allows post or deliveries of any kind on site.
They knew we were on site but nevertheless rejected all our deliveries.
My husband had already driven the van back home to retrieve the car so will have to return for a van to go and collect the sofa and Venetian blinds ( which are now lost in transit and have had to be reordered and paid for .)
We had a round trip of fours yesterday to go to Chester to rebuy the other rejected items so laid out another £200 whilst refunds come through.
Am I being unreasonable in thinking the site owners are being rather churlish or is this rule so common I should have known I couldn’t deliver items to site?
If so how do those who go for long periods of time eg a month at a time get any mail ?
I ask because I am not a natural caravanner . It’s not something I ever did as a child and I have come to it rather late in life!
When you want to maintain relationships with family particularly grandchildren needs must.

Last edited by Gillyuk; 30-07-2019 at 09:04.

Old 30-07-2019, 09:09

Easy solved !...Tell reception from now on if they want any money from you for site fees gas bill electricity bills etc. Can they come to you home address and collect !....As according to "their rules" you are not allowed to delivery anything to reception !..
Old 30-07-2019, 19:38

with hindsight (which is such a wonderful thing) it probably would have been a good idea to pre-warn the reception about a pending delivery even if you were not expecting the changed rules.
It is possible that some people were abusing this system and using reception as a concierge service.
It would have been helful for the site to have put a big notice in the window or park signboard to tell people that rules had changed.
In your case, as you were replacing storm damaged items, it does seem unreasonable for the reception not to at least call you before sending the delivery away.

As far as deliveries and post goes, this varies from park to park, in the same way that the length of time you can spend on a park varies. It is not at all unusual for a holiday park to refuse to take post or deliveries at reception (although some parks will allow supermarket/takeaway deliveries to your van).
People who spend long periods either go home at intervals to collect the post, or arrange for a PO box in the nearest location.
In your case, could you not have your post diverted to your family while you are staying at the van?
Old 30-07-2019, 22:17

I tried to contact Reception and my husband went down to speak to them. The manager agreed to ring us so we could come down to pick up from carrier. This was overruled by a director who informed us we couldn’t have deliveries at all even the sofa.
We can’t have post delivered to family as they work and live onsite.
Understandably we don’t want them involved in this debacle.
Old 31-07-2019, 06:19

If only for a month at a time, either use the post office "on holiday" service (they will hold the mail until you return home, then you get it all at once) or ask a neighbour to check they nothing is sticking out of the letterbox while you are away.
It is an unfortunate situation, but not at all unusual - it sounds as if the manager was not following company policy in the first place, so the site rules have not actually changed, just being enforced. Possibly the director is keen to make sure that nobody is using the site for residential purposes, only for holidays.
Hope that you get everything sorted soon so you can enjoy visiting the family and spending time with your grandchildren.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:50

We aren't allowed "post " its part of the not a residential site rule. However if the fridge breaks argos/ currys etc can deliver. People have Tesco deliver food. I would always say to reception though that they were coming.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 31-07-2019, 20:55

Thanks to everyone who replied. Normal post and mail are not really an issue as deliveries are accepted at home by my daily help.
Itís really just been accessing the furniture and the materials to complete the repairs to the static when itís a four hour round trip to even the basic of shops.
Having even post delivered is not something I would normally do but this has been incredibly difficult to organise without what feels to us as deliberate obstruction.
We both work full time in our own businesses we have had to take further leave to ensure the van is fully repaired .
We discovered this morning we have a leaky radiator where the internal panel was replaced and two electric sockets are not working.
It just seems never ending .
Onward with making the new curtains!