Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

 

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2019, 12:42
Scott666 Scott666 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Default Floe 868 and heat trace - do I need both?

Hi,

We have a static that for the first time the park is open until 1st Jan, being in Scotland we would have normally done the winter drain down for the 31st October and that would have been it till March.

To enable us to use the van during Nov and Dec Iím getting a floe 868 system fitted so I can do a drain down quickly and effortlessly each time we use in the winter.

The question I have is, my original plan before floe was considered was to install heat trace and do a mini drain down after each visit.

Given what I understand about Floe there will be not water left in the pipes from the main supply around the van, as this is floes main job.

My question is, I have the option of fitting heat trace to the van but I cannot see how this would be needed if no water remains in the pipes in the van? The central heating system is sealed and has the normal anti freeze levels so it ok.

Anyone offer me any advice before I spend another £350 on trace heating for the van?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 09-10-2019, 14:48
slattster slattster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 403
Default

Unless your going to be there when the temperatures drop below zero there is no need for trace heating as there will be nothing in the pipes to heat. On my boiler I have a condensation trap that is just on a bayonet connection , very easy to remove so i empty that as well . And then thereís the anti freeze for toilets and u bends but I think you know that already.
Itís a better option than trace heating in my opinion , trace heating relies on the electric staying on .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2019, 15:35
Peter.R Peter.R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott666 View Post
Hi,

We have a static that for the first time the park is open until 1st Jan, being in Scotland we would have normally done the winter drain down for the 31st October and that would have been it till March.

To enable us to use the van during Nov and Dec Iím getting a floe 868 system fitted so I can do a drain down quickly and effortlessly each time we use in the winter.

The question I have is, my original plan before floe was considered was to install heat trace and do a mini drain down after each visit.

Given what I understand about Floe there will be not water left in the pipes from the main supply around the van, as this is floes main job.

My question is, I have the option of fitting heat trace to the van but I cannot see how this would be needed if no water remains in the pipes in the van? The central heating system is sealed and has the normal anti freeze levels so it ok.

Anyone offer me any advice before I spend another £350 on trace heating for the van?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott.
Floe will blow all the water out of your system ....trace actually keeps the pipes warm to prevent freezing ....If there is no water in the system after using floe...Then your trace is keeping an empty pipe warm....I suggest one or the other ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2019, 16:31
Cylon's Avatar
Cylon Cylon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,266
Default

I agree with the above advice, but with regards to using Floe on my caravan pipework it does not remove every trace of water in pipework leading down to the drain-cocks. Might be worth consideration, as after I have used the Floe device and unscrewed the drain-cocks, I still have a small amount of water left in the pipes?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2019, 19:14
Peter.R Peter.R is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 183
Default

Also make sure you leave the drain cocks and taps open (on)...There was an incident a few year ago on our site where people had drained down their vans .......But didn't closed taps ......And someone ..Thinking they were doing a favour went around checking that water stop cock outside were turned off......But inadvertantly let water back into the system ...I put a laminated label over my stop cock ...Saying "Drained down....DO NOT TURN ON"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2019, 20:26
Scott666 Scott666 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
Unless your going to be there when the temperatures drop below zero there is no need for trace heating as there will be nothing in the pipes to heat. On my boiler I have a condensation trap that is just on a bayonet connection , very easy to remove so i empty that as well . And then thereís the anti freeze for toilets and u bends but I think you know that already.
Itís a better option than trace heating in my opinion , trace heating relies on the electric staying on .
Thanks for the advice, yes thatís what I was thinking as Iíd rather spend the £350 or so on something else! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2019, 20:29
Scott666 Scott666 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I agree with the above advice, but with regards to using Floe on my caravan pipework it does not remove every trace of water in pipework leading down to the drain-cocks. Might be worth consideration, as after I have used the Floe device and unscrewed the drain-cocks, I still have a small amount of water left in the pipes?
Thanks, I was thinking the old drain down cocks would be removed as you wonít need them. If they are left itís only a 10 second job to turn off when leaving the van to get the water trapped in them out I guess.

Thanks for the reply👍
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2019, 07:22
Paul BK Paul BK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Hillcroft Park
Posts: 88
Default

I don't have floe but have trace heating. I use my lodge through the winter, so sometimes it is below freezing. When I leave I do the mini drain down. It works for me. The outside pipes could still freeze whist you are in the van but not with trace heating. If there is a site power problem, that's another matter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2019, 23:46
Cylon's Avatar
Cylon Cylon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott666 View Post
Thanks, I was thinking the old drain down cocks would be removed as you wonít need them. If they are left itís only a 10 second job to turn off when leaving the van to get the water trapped in them out I guess.

Thanks for the reply👍
I don't have the floe 868 system so unclear myself why the existing fitted drain cocks would need to be removed? I just have the old screw on type attached to a compressor and when I have finished removing water I finally open the drain cocks and usually get about half a tea mug of water out of them, probably because my drain cocks as many are at the lowest part of the pipework and the compressed air just can't push that last bit of water out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37
slattster slattster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 403
Default

Because you attach the floe 868 as close as possible to the stop tap , floe say you can change the drain offs to elbows but I havenít , Iíd rather have the drain offs as a Ďjust in caseí measure. I didnít open them last year simply because it was raining and I have to crawl under decking . Hopefully the amount of water left in pipes wonít do any damage when it freezes but if it does it will be under the van and not inside it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

West Coast Windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Floe 868 - Anyone Have One Fitted ? rainbow Owning A Caravan 20 31-01-2019 07:00
Winterising your own caravan - Floe 868 portrush Owning A Caravan 22 11-11-2017 20:08
Water supply pipe insulation/heat trace? ched999uk Technical Issues 7 23-09-2016 20:18
Extractor fan to reduce heat symbiosis Technical Issues 19 24-09-2014 13:17
Heat pumps feeling-static Technical Issues 14 30-09-2012 12:44


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.