Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:21

Default Curtains & upholstery

Hello all. Been a while since my last post ( feels like a confessional )
I am into year 7 of static ownership & have been hit on my last visit to my worst nightmare , blue bottles .
When walking around the caravan park especially at start of the season I do see caravans with hundreds of flies all over the windows ( usually Swift vans if I am honest ) , but i didnt attend the caravan for a month ( work and went to spain 😎 ) and was welcomed to 1000 friends when I arrived .dont know what i done to get invaded as its spottless everytime we leave . Cleaned them all up . Hovered etc . Washed the nets but now need to think deep down. Was thinking of hiring carpet cleaner for upholstery and carpets . Curtains has me spooked . Can I wash them or do they all need dry cleaning . Any advice appreciated as i don't want to touch them.
Thanks Dave

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg

Old 03-11-2018, 11:15

I'm sorry to hear your problem. It must have been a nightmare when you arrived back at your van to be greeted with that.

Regarding curtains and net. Most can be washed, silk and delicate fabrics may be better dry cleaned but other should be OK to wash. You may want to set the machine to delicates just to be sure that you don't ruin the curtains. I would think hiring a carpet cleaner would be a good idea.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:02

We had loads this last 4 - 6 weeks and ours is a willerby , saw several vans on our site with lots in ... if anything they were mostly willerbys , hoping it was the hot summer and we donít get them so bad again.
Canít help you with curtains but itís not just swifts.
Old 03-11-2018, 13:11

Cheers for that might take curtains down tommorow and take them home .
I bought some insect repellent spray to put around all the vents . I don't want to cover all the vents up as the air needs to circulate so I will look for some wire mesh with micro holes in and fix them to all the vents areas before I drain down.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg
Old 03-11-2018, 22:20
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

There should be a label on the curtains if they are original, they may shrink.
It may be better to wait until Spring to use a carpet cleaner as it will be warmer to dry them once cleaned.
As regards flies, they may be cluster flies. Here's a link to a few older threads you may find useful

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=952033

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'

Last edited by Angela B; 05-11-2018 at 06:30.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12

Think you may find that they are Cluster Flies. Totally harmless, they come in through the air vents in search of somewhere warm to spend the winter. We have them every year. They don’t breed inside, and don’t make a mess. They just die! 15 minutes with the vacuum cleaner will sort the problem and I don’t think you need to worry about washing and deep cleaning anything. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_fly

Last edited by blueskies; 04-11-2018 at 03:25.
Old 04-11-2018, 20:09

As blueskies said they are cluster flies and there has been a lot of them around this year. They do not go on food or spread disease as blue bottles do and are completely harmless. I was told they hibernate in cavities and roofs of caravans during cold weather and emerge when the weather warms up, as we had a few warm days in October a lot of them emerged. We had only a couple when we arrived and within an hour with the full sun in the van we had dozens, a quick spray with fly spray they were soon dead and vacuumed up. The larva emerge from the ground and I did wonder if the exceptionally hot spring and then the wet autumn was the reason for so many of them this year, we have never had them before.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 05-11-2018, 06:33
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

I've just edited my previous post as the link didn't work.
There are a few older threads with hints, tips and other members experience in dealing with Cluster Flies

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20

Default Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimseydy View Post
Hello all. Been a while since my last post ( feels like a confessional )
I am into year 7 of static ownership & have been hit on my last visit to my worst nightmare , blue bottles .
When walking around the caravan park especially at start of the season I do see caravans with hundreds of flies all over the windows ( usually Swift vans if I am honest ) , but i didnt attend the caravan for a month ( work and went to spain 😎 ) and was welcomed to 1000 friends when I arrived .dont know what i done to get invaded as its spottless everytime we leave . Cleaned them all up . Hovered etc . Washed the nets but now need to think deep down. Was thinking of hiring carpet cleaner for upholstery and carpets . Curtains has me spooked . Can I wash them or do they all need dry cleaning . Any advice appreciated as i don't want to touch them.
Thanks Dave
We keep getting them in the roof space of the lodge. A smoke bomb was set off by the site when I first bought it and did the trick but we have just come back after three weeks and we have more.
Only a few inside but loads dead in the downlighters outside. So I keep taking them out and spraying into the holes before replacing. I have repeated this a few times and it seems to be killing them off.
Old 08-11-2018, 17:54
Supporting Member

All these posts about flies and i feel everytime i'm going to have to change the vents i have.

Screwfix do vents suitable for use with Gas Fires that have an integral flyscreen

Now i've read all the posts that these screens can get blocked with dust and stuff but surely they would be easy enough to clean once a year ?

Spec:
White, thermoplastic louvre vent. Building regulations compliant: BS 5925. Suitable for commercial and domestic use.

Suitable for Use with Gas Appliances
Recess Fit
W x H x D: 270 x 95 x 15mm
Free Air Space: 7500mm≤
Plastic Construction
Removable Insect Screen Supplied
Removable Fly Screen

Only £1.29 each

https://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-...9-x-76mm/54272