Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:43
Supporting Member

Default My new toy

Morning all,

Just recieved my new little gadget to play with at the caravan, I'd been wondering just how much gas i have left in my 2 x 47kg bottles which are the same ones since i bought the caravan in May this year.

I bought a Dometic Gas level checker from Ebay for 25.45 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dometic-G...72.m2749.l2649)

Click on the link below to see how it works

https://youtu.be/NuZSElbwqdg

Its a brilliant little gadget and it tells me just how much gas is left in the bottle.

However Justkampers who sold me the one on ebay have now a special offer of this Dometic Gas level checker for just 19.95

https://www.justkampers.com/dometic-...4aAuUREALw_wcB

Click on the you tube link above to see how it works, No more guessing !!

Last edited by Gerry1964; 08-11-2018 at 08:47.

Old 09-11-2018, 14:57

Looks like a good bit of kit but I won't buy one as we are on an automatic change over of bottles. When one is empty we buy another one so in theory, we should never run out.
Old 09-11-2018, 15:02
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Looks like a good bit of kit but I won't buy one as we are on an automatic change over of bottles. When one is empty we buy another one so in theory, we should never run out.
How do you know when one is empty Mosquito ??Also as i don't know , as i'm pretty new to all this Caravan lark

Does one bottle empty before the other one is used or do both bottles empty at the same time ??
Old 10-11-2018, 14:51

One bottle empties and the automated switch changes over to the next bottle. When both bottles are full the marker is black in colour when the first bottle is empty it moves to red so that you know when to buy a new bottle. When the new bottle is fitted it switches back to black and on it goes. The park we are on supply a double gas bottle stand, automatic change over valve and two full bottles of gas. When you have used them you pay for the next ones.
Old 10-11-2018, 17:35
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
One bottle empties and the automated switch changes over to the next bottle. When both bottles are full the marker is black in colour when the first bottle is empty it moves to red so that you know when to buy a new bottle. When the new bottle is fitted it switches back to black and on it goes. The park we are on supply a double gas bottle stand, automatic change over valve and two full bottles of gas. When you have used them you pay for the next ones.
Ah Now i get you, But i looked and cannot see a marker on the valve where the two pipes go into the bottle ??
Old 10-11-2018, 21:10
Supporting Member

i think this looks good, but i think its market is touring vans or camper vans, i run 2 47kg bottles, run one till its out then switch bottle, and replace the empty one, in theory always have at least 1 full bottle, or 2 full ones at any given point in time, yes there is an auto switch over, but i run 1 till empty, that way i don't get caught out with 2 empty bottles on a wet friday night, and then swap and buy a new one, saves too much cost at any one time for 2 bottles, its been a hot year but this year running the hive heating controller we have used less gas on 5 days a week than last year on 3 days a week, but no real cold spell yet ( -8 a week last monday mind ) and the beast from the east in march for a couple of weeks, yes we braved it, when you at that time facing 42 weekends i did not want to miss 2 of them....
Old 10-11-2018, 22:38
Supporting Member

Great advice guys and thanks, i just wasn't sure how those changeovers worked, now i know

Its still handy for me to do a visual check on the levels if i need to. it looks like i'm going to have to order my first gas replacement now!!
Old 11-11-2018, 18:48

I don't know why these are called Automatic Change overs,they are not.They should in my opinion be called Automatic Indicators.The best results come from having one bottle turned on and keeping your eye on the red indicator.Our indicator gets larger the less gas there is in the bottle.If you leave both gas bottles turned on at the same time then there is a possibility you will run out of gas.
Old Yesterday, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlixtonFlyer View Post
I don't know why these are called Automatic Change overs,they are not.They should in my opinion be called Automatic Indicators.The best results come from having one bottle turned on and keeping your eye on the red indicator.Our indicator gets larger the less gas there is in the bottle.If you leave both gas bottles turned on at the same time then there is a possibility you will run out of gas.
Depends which type of valve you have. This one is a genuine auto changeover valve.
RF6000 2 CYL AUTOMATIC NON OPSO CHANGEOVER KIT

You leave both bottles open and when the one it is operating on gets empty the red indicator comes on and it changes to the full bottle.
I have used these on all my caravans.
Point to note though, it has been found they leave quite a bit of gas in the supposed empty bottle.
Old Yesterday, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
i think this looks good, but i think its market is touring vans or camper vans, i run 2 47kg bottles, run one till its out then switch bottle, and replace the empty one, in theory always have at least 1 full bottle, or 2 full ones at any given point in time, yes there is an auto switch over, but i run 1 till empty, that way i don't get caught out with 2 empty bottles on a wet friday night, and then swap and buy a new one, saves too much cost at any one time for 2 bottles, its been a hot year but this year running the hive heating controller we have used less gas on 5 days a week than last year on 3 days a week, but no real cold spell yet ( -8 a week last monday mind ) and the beast from the east in march for a couple of weeks, yes we braved it, when you at that time facing 42 weekends i did not want to miss 2 of them....
You wouldn't get caught out with two empty bottles with an automatic switchover. Have you ever been in the shower when the gas has run out of your first bottle? If so you would see the sense of having an automated switchover valve. They have been used on statics for many years and work well. As I say, every van and lodge on our park has one fitted when the van is sited.

Remember, you only buy two bottles once when you acquire the automatic changeover valve, after that it's back to one bottle each time one runs out. If you don't buy a new one when one runs out, you might as well not bother with an automatic system as you still run the risk of having no gas when you need it.

Last edited by Mosquito; Yesterday at 12:28.