Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Shopping

Shopping Are you after a bargain and want advice or have you just bought something for your caravan? Share your bargains with the community. STATIC CARAVAN RELATED PRODUCTS ONLY

Old 17-10-2017, 05:49

we have used these and toolstation.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.

Old 17-10-2017, 11:14

i don't think the product is the problem, you can only have so much in use at any one time we have 8 sockets in our lounge kitchen not inc fridge/microwave and central heating boiler area i think that's more than adequate what would you class as not enough ?
Old 17-10-2017, 15:42

It looks like a cost-effective and easy option.
Old 17-12-2017, 16:10

I hadn't considered using a converter socket in our caravan even though I've used them umpteen times in flats and houses. They are easy to fit and well within the capabilities of most people. Not a huge step up from wiring a plug. Our van is closed for the season now, but we have one single socket which I will convert into a double when we open up next year. It'll be a bit tidier than using one of those extensions with the 4 sockets on a cable. There’s never any high-power appliances plugged in to that socket/extension, usually my laptop, a table lamp and maybe a mobile phone or tablet being charged but making it a double would tidy that corner up a little.

For those worried about overloading a circuit it's not too difficult to work out what different appliances draw in the way of current. Don't want to bore anyone with the finer technical details and if you want to you can look at any discussion forum for electricians and see many in-depth debates about current, cable size, diversity and the like and see how even the experts can disagree.

Many appliances will have a plate on them with details of the operating voltage (volts) and power (watts). Some may give details of the current as well. If the current isn't mentioned it's a simple enough calculation. Take the number of watts and divide it by the voltage. Nominal UK voltage is 230 volts but can vary a little up or down.
Our kettle has a power rating of between 1850 and 2200 watts so when the kettle is at it’s peak power 2200 watts divided by 230 volts = 9.6 amps. Our convector heater has a maximum power rating of 2000 watts and therefore will draw 8.7 amps when it is on full and drawing power. The kettle is only on for a few minutes at a time and the convector heater thermostat clicks on and off, so it isn’t drawing the full current all of the time. The fridge draws very little, about 0.4 amps, that’s less than a 100 watt bulb albeit there will be a bit of a surge when the compressor kicks in. TV draws less than half an amp. Vacuum cleaner is around 7 amps. It’s unlikely that the kettle will be boiling while I’m doing the hoovering with the convector heater on but with everything running at full tilt it’s a shade over 26 amps. The MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) for the ring main in our van is rated at 32 amps so there’s more than enough to spare. Most of the time there’s very little load on the ring main. TV/Fridge/Laptop/Table Lamp.

There’s a handy little table with ball park figures for various appliances and a watts to amps calculator here which may be helpful>>>>

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ances-ratings/

Worth having a look at the circuit breakers in the consumer unit of your caravan if you are concerned and do some calculations for your various appliances. Of course the usual caveat applies and if you are in any doubt get a qualified electrician to do the work and get the mains electrics checked and certified regularly. Our site look for inspections every 3 years.
Old 17-12-2017, 20:53
Supporting Member

Dr. Dave, as one who has talked about overloading risks in the past, can I clarify it is not the vans limits that are the problem it is the limited supply on many caravan parks.
In 2016, whilst looking at sites on the Yorks. Coast many were only providing supplies limited to 15 or 16 amps per ‘van.
Put the kettle, on during that cold autumnal evening, with the TV on as well.........It’s the outside box that trips.

Last edited by DavidE; 17-12-2017 at 20:55.
Old 18-12-2017, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
Tool Station is certainly not a dubious company and is used by the trade very similar to Screwfix, and has more than 275 branches UK wide.

https://www.toolstation.com/messages/aboutus
I was told that the main man from Screwfix sold the business and then proceeded to open tool station outlets as close as possible to Screwfix outlets. For legal reasons, I can't confirm that is true.
Old 18-12-2017, 19:00
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I was told that the main man from Screwfix sold the business and then proceeded to open tool station outlets as close as possible to Screwfix outlets. For legal reasons, I can't confirm that is true.
Mozzy, I can say that on that font of all knowledge wiki...... it states that Toolstation was started in 2003 by Mark Goddard-Watts, 4 years after his family sold Screwfix to the Kingfisher Group ( B&Q etc.).
As to location of stores of the 3 stores I have been to, Screwfix & Toolstation are the literal spitting distance apart.

Last edited by DavidE; 18-12-2017 at 21:51. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 22-12-2017, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Mozzy, I can say that on that font of all knowledge wiki...... it states that Toolstation was started in 2003 by Mark Goddard-Watts, 4 years after his family sold Screwfix to the Kingfisher Group ( B&Q etc.).
As to location of stores of the 3 stores I have been to, Screwfix & Toolstation are the literal spitting distance apart.
Thank you for confirming that. It was my son who told me. He's a heating and cooling technical engineer. He advises other engineers in the company if they have a problem with a job they are working on.