Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 27-12-2017, 17:05

Exclamation Site owner causing stress, discrimination? NACO?

Hello, thank you for reading this, and if it's not too late, hope you all had a great Christmas....

I need advice please....probably a long thread, but will try to use bullet points where I can...

I bought my van about 15 months ago, I was 'green'....very 'green'...did not know the ins and outs of van ownership...a lovely small site, I was very happy...

When speaking to several new found friends on site, I was 'warned' about the site owner, as he always 'tries it on'....especially with new people...

We always converse politely, but due to the above, any queries or concerns I have always put to him by e-mail, so that there is proof what is said or agreed.....

Coming back to the 'green' part.....no one on site has a lease/tenancy agreement, only the receipt for the van when bought.

Similarly, there are no 'written' rules, owners on site seem to be frightened of him....I am not, but do not trust him....

Here's the problem....

Since being here, he seems to be alienating van owners, his customers....there have been several people who have simply not been on site this year, at all...now about 20% of the park is empty pitches as (in particular) the older vans have been simply abandoned.

I had politely asked permission for a small shed as I needed to store my mobility scooter, I was refused, without reason, except that 'it was not allowed'....despite other owners having them....

The next thing was the utilities....95 for a 47kg bottled gas...he will not allow other commercial vehicles on site, so not allowed to buy from anyone else....I totally accept a business is there to make a profit, but not to rip off its customers...I can buy the same thing, same brand, for 53, delivered....

When the electric bills arrived, there was 20% VAT applied....every van has its own meter, so should be 5% VAT.....

When questioning both of the above by e-mail, no comment was made about the gas, and in respect of the electric, he said his accountant advised him so.....

I found online the government guidance, and it confirms the 5% rate....so I amended the bill myself, paid the total unit cost plus the 5% VAT, and advised the site owner....to which I have had no reply.....sent three months ago....

I am an openly gay man, but a private person....not the sort who is in people's faces...

I came down to the van to spend Christmas, and was upset to find two small trees that I had planted have been ripped up, and we're missing...

The final issue, the big one, is the ground rent....it is due on the first of January, but I have received no invoice...last year everyone was billed in the October, with a 'nice' little warning of a 'fine' of 30 if not paid on time...

On calling a couple of friends on site, they too have not had their ground rent invoices.....they too had queried the electric charges with the site owner, and are duly concerned.

While in the pub on Christmas Eve, I was talking with a mutual friend, who advised me (after he had consumed several beverages!) That the said site owner 'wants me gone'...

Our mutual friend said the site owner does not like the fact that I question the (over) charging.....and I should 'shut up and play the game'...)

I explained that I am far too old for games, I just want to pay the correct amounts that I owe, and that's all, and that it was not my issue that there is a problem with the charging...

I have always paid my accounts early, before they are due...

Should I pay last year's ground rent amount now?

Is this discrimination?

Is it the fact that he knows that I know he is 'on the fiddle' with the VAT?

Luckily, I am a member of NACO....Do they have any 'teeth'....can they do anything?

I probably did the 'wrong thing' and searched for his name and the site name...in the past there has been issues with drugs and fraudulent activity....in my eyes he's not fit to run a bath, let alone a caravan park!

Naturally, this has been very upsetting over Christmas for me....does anyone have any advice on my rights and to where I stand please?

I am not a troublemaker, but do stand my corner, but always politely.

I don't want to leave, I'm just a 'punter' who pays his way....everything is perfect, except for the bloke that owns the site !!

It just seems that everyone on site is treated with contempt.

All comments and advice are welcome.

Thank you in advance....

Last edited by HighlandFling; 27-12-2017 at 17:30.

Old 27-12-2017, 17:43

I sympathize with your predicament. I think the best people to help you are NACO. That is what you pay them for and they will know better than most or possibly all the members of the forum what can or can't be archived. They will have access to Solicitors who deal with grievances regarding caravan owners and park owners. Please contact them. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I can't think of any organization better to deal with your grievance.

I wish you all the best with coming to a satisfactory outcome. Please let us know what transpires as similar matters may arise for other members and if NACO can produce a satisfactory result, it may well be in the interest of other members to join.
Old 27-12-2017, 18:28

Thumbs up

Thank you Mosquito......much appreciated
Old 27-12-2017, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandFling View Post
Hello, thank you for reading this, and if it's not too late, hope you all had a great Christmas....

I need advice please....probably a long thread, but will try to use bullet points where I can...

I bought my van about 15 months ago, I was 'green'....very 'green'...did not know the ins and outs of van ownership...a lovely small site, I was very happy...

When speaking to several new found friends on site, I was 'warned' about the site owner, as he always 'tries it on'....especially with new people...

We always converse politely, but due to the above, any queries or concerns I have always put to him by e-mail, so that there is proof what is said or agreed.....

Coming back to the 'green' part.....no one on site has a lease/tenancy agreement, only the receipt for the van when bought.

Similarly, there are no 'written' rules, owners on site seem to be frightened of him....I am not, but do not trust him....

Here's the problem....

Since being here, he seems to be alienating van owners, his customers....there have been several people who have simply not been on site this year, at all...now about 20% of the park is empty pitches as (in particular) the older vans have been simply abandoned.

I had politely asked permission for a small shed as I needed to store my mobility scooter, I was refused, without reason, except that 'it was not allowed'....despite other owners having them....

The next thing was the utilities....95 for a 47kg bottled gas...he will not allow other commercial vehicles on site, so not allowed to buy from anyone else....I totally accept a business is there to make a profit, but not to rip off its customers...I can buy the same thing, same brand, for 53, delivered....

When the electric bills arrived, there was 20% VAT applied....every van has its own meter, so should be 5% VAT.....

When questioning both of the above by e-mail, no comment was made about the gas, and in respect of the electric, he said his accountant advised him so.....

I found online the government guidance, and it confirms the 5% rate....so I amended the bill myself, paid the total unit cost plus the 5% VAT, and advised the site owner....to which I have had no reply.....sent three months ago....

I am an openly gay man, but a private person....not the sort who is in people's faces...

I came down to the van to spend Christmas, and was upset to find two small trees that I had planted have been ripped up, and we're missing...

The final issue, the big one, is the ground rent....it is due on the first of January, but I have received no invoice...last year everyone was billed in the October, with a 'nice' little warning of a 'fine' of 30 if not paid on time...

On calling a couple of friends on site, they too have not had their ground rent invoices.....they too had queried the electric charges with the site owner, and are duly concerned.

While in the pub on Christmas Eve, I was talking with a mutual friend, who advised me (after he had consumed several beverages!) That the said site owner 'wants me gone'...

Our mutual friend said the site owner does not like the fact that I question the (over) charging.....and I should 'shut up and play the game'...)

I explained that I am far too old for games, I just want to pay the correct amounts that I owe, and that's all, and that it was not my issue that there is a problem with the charging...

I have always paid my accounts early, before they are due...

Should I pay last year's ground rent amount now?

Is this discrimination?

Is it the fact that he knows that I know he is 'on the fiddle' with the VAT?

Luckily, I am a member of NACO....Do they have any 'teeth'....can they do anything?

I probably did the 'wrong thing' and searched for his name and the site name...in the past there has been issues with drugs and fraudulent activity....in my eyes he's not fit to run a bath, let alone a caravan park!

Naturally, this has been very upsetting over Christmas for me....does anyone have any advice on my rights and to where I stand please?

I am not a troublemaker, but do stand my corner, but always politely.

I don't want to leave, I'm just a 'punter' who pays his way....everything is perfect, except for the bloke that owns the site !!

It just seems that everyone on site is treated with contempt.

All comments and advice are welcome.

Thank you in advance....
Sadly I read cases like this all too often on here. The way SOME site owners treat customers is deplorable ! I know it maybe no consolation to you but I do believe that one day someone with good legal backing will take on these undesirables and the flood gates will open and believe me when it does this type of behaviour will be as big as the PPI scandal...
Old 27-12-2017, 20:22
Supporting Member

Highland fling, the VAT mischarging is simply an offence and the Customs & Excise would prosecute if it is not being paid over to them. As to the price of gas bottles, I know of a site that was similar and owners bought a trolley, collected the bottles at the gate and walked the bottles on themselves. But a disgruntled site owner is a long term problem and will make what should be a happy place somewhere miserable alas.
Old 27-12-2017, 21:38

So sorry to hear this .
I just can’t see any good coming from this situation at all.
It’s always going to be an ongoing battle.
You might win one skirmish but you won’t win the war, there’s always going to be some underhand damage that can be done to your van when you are not there ...and you will suspect but never know.

I think I’d be looking to cut my losses in all honesty.
Unscrupulous owners have us over a barrel.
Old 27-12-2017, 21:39

There are some sites that will allow bring ins, maybe you can research them over the winter.
I’m sure there will be small friendly sites. Is it a static btw
Old 27-12-2017, 23:28

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts so far xxx. I have considered a move, but my van is 20 years old, had the double glazing done, and is immaculate, seats recovered, the lot....but at that age it's doubtful that any site would take it.
Old 30-12-2017, 17:39

Highland Fling.

I read in an earlier thread that you had issues with a mobility scooter and gladly these got resolved. Its hard when you don't know the park in question but isn't it now time to either embrace the park you are on with all its niggles, or simply move on?? How often do you use your holiday home?? Can you access the caravan with all the health issues you allude to?? I'm guessing you didn't pay a vast amount for the van so it may be worth just cashing it in if the issues with the park still bother you. Its just not worth getting upset about. Did you buy the van through the park or was it a private sale??

Regards. Chris.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29

[QUOTE=HighlandFling;171082]Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts so far xxx. I have considered a move, but my van is 20 years old, had the double glazing done, and is immaculate, seats recovered, the lot....but at that age it's doubtful that any site would take it.[/QUO

As a last resort if all else fails give Rod a call at twentyshillingwood they allow bring ons area may not suit but its a nice quiet well kept bellamy award winning site in Comrie near Crieff.