Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 13-02-2011, 13:41

Default Calling site owners, site managers, trade

Would you be willing to give your reasoning as to what merits the extortionate sums charged to put a static onto a pitch? In another thread sums of 20-30K are being spoken of. How can it be justified? I'd like a breakdown please.

Old 13-02-2011, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisd View Post
Would you be willing to give your reasoning as to what merits the extortionate sums charged to put a static onto a pitch? In another thread sums of 20-30K are being spoken of. How can it be justified? I'd like a breakdown please.
Surely that must include the cost of the caravan, if not I will be interested to see how it all adds up.
Old 13-02-2011, 14:02

Well basically whoever owns the land can charge what they like. What determines the price is basically what someone will pay. This of course has a lot to do with location, facilities, and also the quality of the park. The main reason some parks charge what they do is the lack of research by buyers. They don't bother to find out retail prices, when they are freely available from the manufacturers. It baffles me as you wouldn't dream of buying a car like that!

To illustrate this think of 3 identical Wimpey homes, one on an inner city sink estate, one in a pretty seaside village, and one in Knightsbridge. Although you are getting the same house the 3 prices will differ vastly.

I'm not saying it's right what park owners do but I hope this makes it a little clearer.

For my part, I charge retail plus delivery. Then I add between 2,000 and 3,000. For that you get all the siting & connection, a hedge at the front and side of the caravan, a raised block and slab patio and side verandah with stained wooden rails and bars, a digital tv aerial or a freesat dish if reception is a problem, an automatic changeover valve and 2x47kg cylinders to start you off.

Last edited by indianwells; 13-02-2011 at 14:06.
Old 13-02-2011, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
Well basically whoever owns the land can charge what they like. What determines the price is basically what someone will pay. This of course has a lot to do with location, facilities, and also the quality of the park. The main reason some parks charge what they do is the lack of research by buyers. They don't bother to find out retail prices, when they are freely available from the manufacturers. It baffles me as you wouldn't dream of buying a car like that!

To illustrate this think of 3 identical Wimpey homes, one on an inner city sink estate, one in a pretty seaside village, and one in Knightsbridge. Although you are getting the same house the 3 prices will differ vastly.

I'm not saying it's right what park owners do but I hope this makes it a little clearer.

For my part, I charge retail plus delivery. Then I add between 2,000 and 3,000. For that you get all the siting & connection, a hedge at the front and side of the caravan, a raised block and slab patio and side verandah with stained wooden rails and bars, a digital tv aerial or a freesat dish if reception is a problem, an automatic changeover valve and 2x47kg cylinders to start you off.
I would call that more than reasonable in fact with verandah included its cheap, its the 30k I had trouble swallowing.
Old 13-02-2011, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronbrook View Post
I would call that more than reasonable in fact with verandah included its cheap, its the 30k I had trouble swallowing.
I wouldn't call it cheap, but reasonable. It only seems cheap because of what the rip-off parks charge. That 2,000-3,000 basically covers my costs. There is already a profit built in to the retail price, which makes what some parks charge on top even more outrageous.
Old 13-02-2011, 14:16

Thanks for your reply indianwells, was just about to post when my phone rang.
Well I'm a researcher, hence I've joined this site to pick brains and I read and read and then read some more. I did this prior to our relocation to France and to me thats the only way to make a decision .... based on facts. Always will there be the dreamers and jumpers and maybe this is why this business has'nt got sufficient legislation. You said "I charge retail plus delivery. Then I add between 2,000 and 3,000." So what can you expect to be the norm for delivery? And why is'nt there more legislation?
Old 13-02-2011, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisd View Post
Thanks for your reply indianwells, was just about to post when my phone rang.
Well I'm a researcher, hence I've joined this site to pick brains and I read and read and then read some more. I did this prior to our relocation to France and to me thats the only way to make a decision .... based on facts. Always will there be the dreamers and jumpers and maybe this is why this business has'nt got sufficient legislation. You said "I charge retail plus delivery. Then I add between 2,000 and 3,000." So what can you expect to be the norm for delivery? And why is'nt there more legislation?
Delivery to our place in South Wales is about 1,100 from Hull but it will depend on distance travelled/fuel etc.
I think the reason legislation is a bit muddy comes down to the fact your caravan is on private land and the land owner seems to hold all the cards. It's not like buying a car that's for sure!
There are 2 Trade Associations and it's a good idea to choose a park that is a member of one of them, at least that way you get a proper licence agreement. Not foolproof but at least you have a signed document should you have a legal dispute somewhere down the line.
Old 13-02-2011, 14:32

So thats the 2 you spoke of in this thread....

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=505

The letter copied in Sunshine's post is completely contradictory and that is why legislation needs a good shake-up totally.

So what would you expect to be reasonable buying in Hull and placement in East Yorkshire?
Old 13-02-2011, 14:42

I'm afraid I wouldn't have a clue, maybe someone on a site in that part of the world would know? It would certainly be cheaper but I don't know by how much, sorry.
Old 13-02-2011, 15:06

Thanks for your posts and help.