Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Disabled Access Caravan's

Disabled Access Caravan's Discussion about adapting caravans for disable use and all issues regarding disability and static caravans

Old 24-02-2015, 19:25
Supporting Member

I think this is a terrible shame! the exhibition has missed the opportunity to showcase the vans properly!
yes, ok, once the vans are on site there could be a ramp fitted, decking etc.. but surely the whole idea is to get people inside the vans in the first place..
I am actually quite cross now quite frankly! and feel so sorry for the lady in the wheelchair...
I am pushing my mum in a wheelchair at the moment and so I have to look for easy access areas to make sure I can wheel her about..
I tell you what!
it's a good job I wasn't at the exhibition with my mum! that's all I am saying
it's just not fair..
x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE

Old 24-02-2015, 19:46

did the disabled peeps pay a discounted rate and know beforehand that they could not access any vans.....

Last edited by Angela M; 25-02-2015 at 21:29.
Old 25-02-2015, 21:29

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
did the disabled peeps pay a discounted rate and know beforehand that they could not access any vans.....

As far as I'm aware, the disabled visitor pays full price, but carer goes free.

I've been discussing this today, so I'm hoping I can share something positive from this soon...

Watch this space

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 02-04-2015, 10:38

Well, the ball is rolling!
I've contacted some companies and connected them with the Leisure Events Industry, so watch this space!

*dances

Old 02-04-2015, 12:24

Well done Anj....for giving the leisure industry a helping hand,and its the right time as the new pension rules come into force and maybe they will see that there may be more peeps buying vans with access issues..
Old 25-02-2018, 22:11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
Well, we went to the Spring Caravan and Camping Show at the NEC Bham.
The show had a wonderful selection of Static Caravans / Lodges NON were accessible for wheelchair users

As we walked around, there were scooters/wheelchair users at every turn - PAYING DISABLED VISITORS not able to look inside a single unit! What really upset me was when we passed a lady sitting in her wheelchair at the bottom of the beautiful decking steps, she called to her husband "is it as nice inside as it looks outside?" He said "yes it's gorgeous" I watched her smile to him, and then turned away, bowed her head and stared at her hands deep in thought.
This actually brought a tear to my eye, I looked around at these beautiful units on display, not a thought given to any of these disabled visitors.
When I asked one of the teams, they simply said there wasn't room for ramps to be built.
I wonder if that's not the only reason, are they also worried about furniture getting damaged? Dirty carpets, good old Health and Safety?

So, I did some searching this morning, there's lots of British companies who hire equipment, so why do they not hire these (for example) for the duration of the show? (Excuse the poor quality photo)
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...ps23ad5bee.jpg

Sorry to go on, but when will things change? What do you guys think about it?

I feel better now

Wow... Has this really ever been 3 YEARS!!!!

I went to the NEC Birmingham yesterday and guess what? Willerby had a wheelchair friendly holiday home on display "The Richmond' complete with a ramp built by AB Sundecks and it was fabulous! I can't explain how happy I was to see this and obviously tweeted with photos immediately!
At last!

Old 25-02-2018, 22:33

Food for thought Anj....that looks like a hairpin turn at end of ramp....also never give it a thought that people with vans,that then have to use wheelchair may not be able to access van unless there are french doors as some existing vans may only have single door...and internal doors may be too small even on vans with French doors...
Maybe the manufacturers will build vans as standard with wide doors
Old 25-02-2018, 22:54

There was good turning space at the top of the ramp and yes almost everything was accessible inside except for the hanging rail in the wardrobe
I was very impressed on the whole... The cost though hmm c/h was extra

It's a great start for inclusion

Old 26-02-2018, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
Is it hard to find wheelchair friendly static caravans on display at sites, shows exhibitions etc?

I find it very disappointing that they are not on display at the major shows. I even commented at the NEC last year as they had specifically said there would be one on display - it wasn't

What are your experiences/ opinions please?

I wonder what the solution is?

I think it's a missed opportunity
Last year Christine and I went to a caravan and Lodge show at Banks, Southport. There were around 130 vans and lodges and just one of them was built for easy access for disabled or physically challenged owners. Not good enough.

However, I would hope that anyone needing a van suitable for their needs would be given good advice, although it isn't the same as being able to look round a van you are interested in. I'm not sure there is a realistic solution, perhaps manufacturers only make them to order.

Last edited by Mosquito; 26-02-2018 at 11:28.
Old 26-02-2018, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
Food for thought Anj....that looks like a hairpin turn at end of ramp....also never give it a thought that people with vans,that then have to use wheelchair may not be able to access van unless there are french doors as some existing vans may only have single door...and internal doors may be too small even on vans with French doors...
Maybe the manufacturers will build vans as standard with wide doors
Just checked at our van,which may help others, ..just measured up,can get a wheelchair in through external single door
Internal doors are a little too narrow,but I suppose if people have zimmer frame or other aids for inside use wont be a problem....