Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 16-11-2018, 20:00

Question Wifi

Hi and thanks for excepting me to this great site.
We have just bought a static caravan in Cheshire. There is WiFi on site with boosters all over the site. Unfortunately we are at the end of the signal. We find to get a reliable signal inside we need to have the window open. Is there an extender we can buy that we can fit to the outside of the caravan and bring in inside via a cable to an inside extender. Fingers crossed. Nichthewood

Old 17-11-2018, 08:29

Looking at previous threads, We’re not the only one with a problem. Seems there’s not been a real solution.
Just a thought, but 3-4G signal is available outside. Again the problem is inside it comes and goes. Is this the way to go, can this be improved?
Old 17-11-2018, 10:56
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthewood View Post
Looking at previous threads, We’re not the only one with a problem. Seems there’s not been a real solution.
Just a thought, but 3-4G signal is available outside. Again the problem is inside it comes and goes. Is this the way to go, can this be improved?
Hi nichthewood

Sites wifi can be at best slow, my site cannot guarantee the sped and at most it does not recommend people using it to view TV (Netflix or NowTV)

I had a spare contract sim card with O2 and initially had 20GB for £20, but they offered me 50GB for and extra tenner which was a bargain, so now i have 50GB for £30 a month.

I bought a Huawei B315, 4G Wi-Fi Router, and put the sim card in that and now thats on all the time. This allows me and the family to have laptops, movies and more without any hassle, It even makes my wifi thermostat work so i can control it from my phone.

I tend to do a lot of Work paperwork when i go down during the week so that helps me, I understand not everyone would want 50GB of data so there are smaller packages and deals you could go with, even on PAYG so you don't pay for when your not there.

But to be honest anything had to be better than the poor wifi the park was offering
Old 17-11-2018, 20:49

I have a static over at Trearddur bay, the sites wifi is snails pace, I purchased a Netgear 6000 wifi extender & tuned it in, and the signal was super, with no issues until our site decided on upgrading their system and the tech dept then blocked all these extenders, consequently my signal was useless

Maybe a Netgear 6000 wifi range extender (AC750) would be suitable on your site nitchthewood, depends if they are blocked?

Then I upgraded and had my own system fitted ie router & other hardware which ran alongside their wifi, fitted by their tech so now I can get my tv films & Netflix
Lots of people have simply upgraded their own phones by purchasing mobile data, probably a better option, except I didn't want to be paying out monthly

Last edited by sparkrace22; 17-11-2018 at 21:03.
Old 17-11-2018, 21:04
Supporting Member

O2 have a deal going on at the moment for sim only, you can get 40gb for £25 a month and free netflix for 6 months or you can get 60GB for 35 a month

Great if your staying at your Caravan often or like watching films, or if your kids are online all the time

Contract only 12 months and if you want to increase your data you can later with no hassle

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/...actLength=P12M

There may be better or cheaper, but i had an old iphone on contract and now i just upgraded to Data and its good for me
Old 18-11-2018, 07:46

Default Thanks Gerry

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Can I ask you Gerry, was the Huawei B315 easy to set up. External antenna, etc. I have very little knowledge about these thing. If itís not made of wood I struggle. 🤣🤣
Old 18-11-2018, 07:58
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. Can I ask you Gerry, was the Huawei B315 easy to set up. External antenna, etc. I have very little knowledge about these thing. If itís not made of wood I struggle. 🤣🤣
Yes its mega easy just put the sim card in and plug into the mains

No technical configaration or anything.works a treat you dont normally need any extra airels
Old 18-11-2018, 10:03

Thanks Gerry. I’ve just order one. ��
Old 18-11-2018, 11:32
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks Gerry. Iíve just order one. ��
Nice you won't be disappointed, The main reason i got one was because my wifi Dongle was getting too hot being plugged in to a usb port all the time.

Now i can just leave this on all the time and it only uses data when your connected to it.

You can get these little paddle aerials if you feel the need for around £10, but mine works fast without it.

So when you get it, just plug in your simcard, it has to be a large size sim card so if you have a micro one like mine you'l need to buy a sim adapter kit £2.99 just to make the simcard the right size.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechRise-St...ds=sim+adapter

Then just connect the sim, plug it into the mains and wait a few seconds, You can download the set up app on your mobile, and then change the wifi name and password to on your mobile to one that you'll easily remember.

That's it it really is so simple you'll be impressed
Old 19-11-2018, 11:10

I will let you know next weekend, when I’ve set it up. Cheers for now. Nich