Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 17-01-2019, 18:36
Supporting Member

Default Floe 868 - Anyone Have One Fitted ?

Interested in how easy to fit and how good the Floe 868 drain down system really is ?

Old 17-01-2019, 18:53

I have the floe 868 and itís an excellent bit of kit , I used to use the floe on the outside tap and while that was good it took me half an hour and I had to keep going in and out of the van which isnít great when itís raining . With the 868 itís all done internally in the van and takes less than 10mins , it means we will visit our van more in the colder months. Itís easy to fit , cut the incoming mains pipe under the van , Tee off from this to the pipe supplied with the 868 , put a push fit check valve on the pipe and run it into the van , screw the 868 inside a cupboard , connect the pipe using push fit and plug in. Watch the video on the website .

Copied and pasted it here Rainbow , to use it just unplug the boiler , plug this in and turn on , open each tap one at a time till the water stops coming out, not forgetting the shower and do toilets last takes less than ten minutes. I have a condensation trap on my boiler that I empty as well , comes off very easy , put some antifreeze in u bends , job done.
Old 17-01-2019, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Interested in how easy to fit and how good the Floe 868 drain down system really is ?
Got one 2 years ago fitted it myself in 10 minute's...Well worth it !...Paid for itself 10 times over as we are a 12 month site ...I drain down every time we leave from the end of October....(peace of mind !) The site charge £85 per drain down !..So do the maths !!!
Old 20-01-2019, 18:30

Quote:
Hi David, There is a video on UTube. Sorry, I don't have a link but it does look to be very easy and in the long run, it will save you money.
We are here all winter and we have just fitted trace heating. That and turning the stop tap off and opening the outside tap and leaving the thermostat set at 5C should be enough for the nine nights that the park is closed.
Old 21-01-2019, 17:55
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Hi David, There is a video on UTube. Sorry, I don't have a link but it does look to be very easy and in the long run, it will save you money.
We are here all winter and we have just fitted trace heating. That and turning the stop tap off and opening the outside tap and leaving the thermostat set at 5C should be enough for the nine nights that the park is closed.
Hi Barry, Our Park is closed until March 1st so freezing up not a problem at this time. However, it would be good to have the flexibility of coming and going as we please, without having to book drain downs in advance, or leave the park hoping the van gets drained down before the next frost.
A few folks we know have had the Caraguard system fitted, at a cost of £450 or for those with two showers, £500.
The Floe 868 at just over £200 plus minimal fitting sounds interesting. I am thinking trace heating also, to allow us flexibility.
Glad to hear your setup works for you. That said, itís never going to be Altea in England 😂
Old 23-01-2019, 13:20

Quote:
Hi Barry, Our Park is closed until March 1st so freezing up not a problem at this time. However, it would be good to have the flexibility of coming and going as we please, without having to book drain downs in advance, or leave the park hoping the van gets drained down before the next frost.
A few folks we know have had the Caraguard system fitted, at a cost of £450 or for those with two showers, £500.
The Floe 868 at just over £200 plus minimal fitting sounds interesting. I am thinking trace heating also, to allow us flexibility.
Glad to hear your setup works for you. That said, itís never going to be Altea in England 😂
David, it certainly isn't Altea here today. Snow and cold is the order of the day. We only ever see snow on the mountain tops in Altea in winter and that's very occasionally.
Old 26-01-2019, 19:47

When draining down using the 868 what do I do with the combi boiler? I know the heating is a sealed system but what about the domestic water. Do I have to do anything to protected boiler before I use the 868? Do I drain this down using the drain taps under the van?
Thanks
Old 26-01-2019, 20:32
Supporting Member

Hi Nichthewood
You don’t need to do anything with the boiler. The Floe takes care of the hot water system also. It also cleans the pipes in the boiler. I leave my boiler unplugged when I drain down. As you say it is a sealed unit with antifreeze in for the heating part. But the hot water side is drained down with the Floe. The video explains it all. It is a great piece of kit.
Old 26-01-2019, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichthewood View Post
When draining down using the 868 what do I do with the combi boiler? I know the heating is a sealed system but what about the domestic water. Do I have to do anything to protected boiler before I use the 868? Do I drain this down using the drain taps under the van?
Thanks
You don't do anything other than leave all your taps and shower open (left on )
Floe tell you on the DvD that leaving taps open allows the air to circulate in the system fresh air is a good disinfectant
Old 27-01-2019, 20:01

Thank you for your replies. Tried today and the compressor wouldn’t work. The mains lead was only 2A. Ordered a 10A so will try again on Tuesday ��