Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 28-01-2019, 09:55
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
I have the floe 868 and itís an excellent bit of kit , I used to use the floe on the outside tap and while that was good it took me half an hour and I had to keep going in and out of the van which isnít great when itís raining . With the 868 itís all done internally in the van and takes less than 10mins , it means we will visit our van more in the colder months. Itís easy to fit , cut the incoming mains pipe under the van , Tee off from this to the pipe supplied with the 868 , put a push fit check valve on the pipe and run it into the van , screw the 868 inside a cupboard , connect the pipe using push fit and plug in. Watch the video on the website .

Copied and pasted it here Rainbow , to use it just unplug the boiler , plug this in and turn on , open each tap one at a time till the water stops coming out, not forgetting the shower and do toilets last takes less than ten minutes. I have a condensation trap on my boiler that I empty as well , comes off very easy , put some antifreeze in u bends , job done.
Slattster, Just an afterthought, is there no need then to open the stop cocks under the caravan when going through the draindown with an 868 ?

Old 30-01-2019, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Slattster, Just an afterthought, is there no need then to open the stop cocks under the caravan when going through the draindown with an 868 ?
I'd have thought it was still necessary. I did a drain down one year and forgot the stop cocks under the van. When I refilled the system the plastic connectors to the valves had both blown. Always remembered to open them from then on and left them open till refill.
Old 30-01-2019, 12:42

Quote:
I don't use the Floe 868 so can't comment on that, but do use the old type Floe using my own compressor and assume the principle is roughly the same or similar.

When I've completed a drain-down with my Floe and own compressor, I've always after remove the domestic cold water drain off valves including boiler (not central heating). I normally go through the draining procedure twice to just double check that all water is removed, but I'm still left with a little water at the end. I'm not saying this will be the case with every caravan, but with my pipework layout the compressed air does not manage to remove all the water closest to my drain off valves. It may not be much water left, but in my opinion enough to freeze and possibly cause some damage? Saying that though, my Floe after all these years still does a great job and would not be without it

P.S. Just noticed as posting Mevennais now opens also.
Old 30-01-2019, 17:01

This is first winter using 868 , i used it in spring but didn’t open the valves then. I don’t think I opened them when I drained down in November, this would have been because I have to climb under the decking to get to them. According to the floe videos you don’t have to. I would expect there is some water at the lowest points of the pipe work but hopefully it’s not enough to burst the pipes and there should be plenty of room in the pipe for expansion . It will be getting a testing this week , down to -5 tonight , I am not there for next few weeks but will let you know if I get any damaged pipes . I will also test it when the weathers better to see how much water collects at the drain offs.
Old 30-01-2019, 17:49
Supporting Member

Thank you Slattster, I Hope all is well when you return to your caravan.
Since my question to you, I have been in touch with Floe, who advise, while it would be interesting the first time you use 868 to open the drain cocks to see how much water comes out ( likely to be little if any after drain down, but depending on pipe config in different vans that could vary). Thereafter just lag around the drain cocks and do the whole drain down from inside ( other than outside tap of course if you have one).
I have to admit, I think this whole subject would be simpler to digest if we were plumbers 😂
Old 30-01-2019, 18:41

It is very easy to fit and to use , the boon being speed of drain down and not having to go outside to do it.
Iím not worried about the van if thereís any damage it will be under the van and just a matter of a pushfit or 2 ..... and next year I would be opening the drain offs
Old 30-01-2019, 18:58

Quote:
Thank you Slattster, I Hope all is well when you return to your caravan.
Since my question to you, I have been in touch with Floe, who advise, while it would be interesting the first time you use 868 to open the drain cocks to see how much water comes out ( likely to be little if any after drain down, but depending on pipe config in different vans that could vary). Thereafter just lag around the drain cocks and do the whole drain down from inside ( other than outside tap of course if you have one).
I have to admit, I think this whole subject would be simpler to digest if we were plumbers ��
just seen the floe868 vid,it states that the drain valves should be disconnected ref. floe 868 vid..around 5 minutes 10 seconds...so you may need a plumber? from what I can see it still looks as though the main stop tap has to be disconnected,to be 100%. ..

Last edited by treetopper; 30-01-2019 at 19:14.
Old 30-01-2019, 19:56

I always disconnect the water as well, not a difficult job on my van though as it can be screwed off by hand and is easy to get at
Old 30-01-2019, 22:26

I disconnect water during our close down which is around mid November to end of feb ... we are open 12 months but don’t use it during this time , but I have also installed a 2nd stop tap so when we go during the early and late season I can turn both stop taps off rather than disconnect.
Treetopper , I remember watching the videos and he said you could remove the drainoffs and put an elbow there but I’d rather the drain offs stay just in case I need them , ours are only pushfit so wouldn’t be hard to change .

Last edited by slattster; 30-01-2019 at 22:29.
Old 31-01-2019, 05:27
Supporting Member

I've taken the plunge and bought one of the Ring air compressors i wanted

It was £61 delivered so im happy, Now i've ordered my Floe adapter from ebay for £27

and i've got my own floe system for less than £100, Not to mention you can use the compressor for other things around your caravan during the summer like blowing up inflatables for the kids

Cant wait for the floe adapter to turn up and i'll get it fitted