Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 17-06-2019, 12:26

Default First caravan, brands?

Hi All,
So happy to come across this wonderful forum!
I am looking to get into the world of static caravan ownership (first generation ) and am currently researching different options.
I have found a lot of useful information here however I am still a little bit confused about one question.
Is there any difference between the manufacturers?
Are any particular ones better than the others?
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by different manufacturers (Willerby, ABI, Swift and loads of others) and options and want to make the correct choice.
I wasn't able to find any information whether I should avoid some brands or if any brands are significantly better than the others.
Any help would be much appreciated!
David

Old 17-06-2019, 13:30

Interesting question. For someone who has been into Static caravans for many years & who has bought 6 different brands so far and have been happy with them all, I would say whatever brand you may be interested in, of equal or greater importance is the standard of the van. All static caravan manufacturers supply vans of various qualities. Starting from their basic range to better range to top of their range. So I would research model styles once you decide on your favoured manufacturer. Personally, I have found the quality of the van more important.
Old 17-06-2019, 14:54
Supporting Member

to the forum.

I would say it’s rather like cars and makes . Pemberton have the reputation of being the quality manufacturer.
As RRRob said the others do different ranges & variations some becoming well regarded and some less well received. No manufacturer gets every design right. You just have to look at the ones in front of you as to how well you think they are put together and how it’s layout works for you.
Eyes open, and brain in gear and you won’t go far wrong.

Last edited by DavidE; 17-06-2019 at 14:57.
Old 17-06-2019, 17:39

The thing we noticed with budget vans and top of the range was the level of insulation, the quality of the worktops. Furniture ranges from free standing leather to fixed benches without much foam. I think all the makers have a range and you just have to decide how much you want to spend and what you actually want. We ended up with a mid range Atlas and it suits us very well. We bought a second hand van to start with with 8 years left on the licence in case it wasn't for us. Using it for several years made us realise what was important to us in layout I'm not sure we would have chosen so well if we had bought brand new the first time.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:51

Hi again,
Thanks for all the helpful replies!
The thing is I've visited few dealers to get an idea about what's available on the market and it seems that each dealer carries a limited number of brands.
That's why I want to know whether by looking at only a limited number of brands I might be missing out on something.
For example I've been hearing that Pemberton is the Rolls-Royce of caravans, that Willerby is a guaranteed quality or that ABI makes more basic models at an affordable price. Also, I've come across brands like Victory, Regal, Swift, Delta or Carnaby. What is the reputation of these brands?
Do you think any brands have some particular strengths/weaknesses be it the build quality, the layout or even the after sales service?

Thanks again all!
Old 18-06-2019, 13:56
Supporting Member

Some folk might argue about those definitions but Carnaby, ABI, and Swift are more established makes whereas Victory, Regal & Delta are newer kids on the block. The Hull area has the bulk of these firms and the new ones tend to start up using the experience gathered at existing manufacturers sometimes replacing ones that have not survived. It all needs a bit of research but individuals opinions about each one may vary.
Old 18-06-2019, 14:00

Don't forget that an even more important part of the research is going to be the park itself. It sounds that you may be getting so immersed in the quality of the van that you may overlook the necessity of being on a park that makes you happy.
Anyway, what you need from a van depends when and how you plan to use it - long stays (especially in winter) would make good insulation, double glazing, central heating and possibly a washer/dryer very desirable. Lots of shorter stays would probably mean the above are an added expense that you do not need.
It's fun looking at them all, though.
Old 18-06-2019, 16:12
Supporting Member

Can I say I totally agree with fhb about the order of things when starting out.
You need to pick an area you will be happy going to time after time after time as you cannot stay in your ‘van, or on site day after day .
Then it’ s finding that site in that area that meets your needs, be it from a little no frills no fancy extras costing less upto the all singing all dancing everything’s here ifyou can afford it site.
Then you can start looking at what ‘vans they have for sale as you will probably have to buy from the site you choose.
So happy hunting and may you find the right set up for you & yours.
Old 18-06-2019, 16:40

fhb makes a good point regarding parks and also mentions staying in the van over the winter months.
First and foremost the general opinion is that you should try to pick a Park that is no more than two hours traveling time away from home. Make sure that the park has what you require and just as importantly not what you don't require. for example, my wife is allergic to cats and dogs and most probably to other animals with fur. So, it was important that we found a Park that does not allow pets. You may think that you would like other facilities such as a swimming pool, but just think about how many times that you or your family would actually use it. Remember that the more facilities that a park has, the greater the yearly fees will be. If that's not a concern for you then it may not matter but fees do go up each year. Also, look at the pitches were your van could be sited. Is it in a position that would suit you and is there enough space to have the size of decking that you require? Make a list of what you want and tick off the boxes as you see the different locations. That way you will find your ideal spot.

Regarding the van, First, you should set a budget for the price that you are happy and comfortable to pay. Then look at the vans in your price range, taking note of the standard of the build. If you are planning to use it all year round first you will need to have it sited on a park that has a 12-month license or as near to it as you can find in your desired area. The park we are on only closes from the 20th February till the 1st of March. Most parks will vary in the length of their season. So, we get back to the build quality. for winter use you need a van that is really well insulated If money isn't a problem, a new lodge built to residential standard maybe best for you. If your money won't stretch that far, it may be better to buy a second-hand van that has good insulation There are lots of good vans on the market but you will need to do your homework on the build quality. A well-insulated van will be more comfortable in the winter and also keep you heating cost down to a reasonable level. Also, the layout of the van is important. Our van has a corridor from the front door to other rooms and that suits us, other vans have a door that opens into the lounge/kitchen area. It's just a matter of looking around a few vans and deciding what you and your family want.

There are several old threads on the forum which will give you more information. Perhaps one of the moderators will post some links for you. I hope that this helps you in your search.

Last edited by Mosquito; 18-06-2019 at 16:46.