Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 03-03-2012, 00:22

I remember well all the shopping and spending, i actually got sick of shopping

We were lucky in that some things were left and bought as part of the van, 2 x storage bunkers + smaller lift up lid type one, table and 4 chairs, parasol, 2 reclining sun loungers, all garden equiptment, calor gas fire (like new), havent used it and probably wont either, Dvd player, rotary washing line, plus other bits and bobs.
We mostly spent on the interior, all kitchen equiptment. microwave, halogen oven, toaster, kettle, dishes, cutlery, glasses, pans, storage canisters, bin, 2 oil filled radiators, TV, quilts, pillows, lamps, bedside shelves, replaced beds, replaced curtains, bought blinds, replaced sofas, also all the ornaments and things that make a place a home.

We did spend loads, but i am happy now with what we have - this year i plan on replacing curtains in main bedroom, and painting floor of our decking, oh i would like new taps in kitchen too, and a new light in kitchen........... right thats it now got stop thinking of what i can do

Old 03-03-2012, 02:39
Retired Member

It is basically like running two homes.

I think if you have a maxmum budget for a van, then you need to factor in all these extras and not spend all your budget on the van itself. This is particularly important if you will be renting your van out to help with site fees, etc. as you will have to kit the van out with certain things straightaway.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31

It's important to realise "the extras" though as sales men tend to talk you up on the van ( they met their match in me ) and if you go to your limit and then get bills for rates etc you weren't expecting and have to buy sheds etc thats where people get into trouble financially.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:40
Supporting Member

all these comments are really good for newbies and indeed us oldies to the forum...i think i am still learning.....
many years ago when the children were little we desperately wanted to buy a static as we always had holidays in them... but we knew we couldnt afford it.........
but then when we finished paying our mortgage and decided that a savings account wasnt going to earn us any money so we decided to look into finally getting our static....
ok, the children are older now.... but this is a lifestyle change for us... we dont sublet so we dont recoup any money,,,,so it is all on our heads so to speak....
if it ever got to the stage and we couldnt afford it.... then the static would be one of the first things to go i am afraid....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamaria589 View Post
are there lots of lovely/scenic places around there for you.. and are there a lot of cycle paths?
We can ride on the promenade into Bridlington or we can go on the cliff top to Fraisthorpe. We can ride inland, most of the pavements are shared with cyclists.......I have even ridden on the Beach.
When my knees were bad hubby bought me an electric bike and he used to walk with Lizzy and I used to ride with Minnie.....he attached a supermarket basket to the rear carrier with electrical ties, put a blanket in and Minnie just sat there like 'Lady Muck' until we got to the cliff top......now, hopefully, I'll be walking again so Minnie will have to go in her pushchair
ML.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetChops View Post
We got daughter a really good bike from a car boot sale emmell - needed a bit of cleaning up but only cost 12. She has got a similar one at home that cost 100ish. As kids grow out of things so quickly, I wasn't going to spend that amount on a bike for the van - plus I don't worry about it getting pinched.
That's why we bought the two fold up bikes initially (second hand), but when we realised we enjoyed cycling again, we got two new ones for ourselves but we bought the girls second hand ones off ebay for the same reason as you and they have both grown out of them, so we need to replace one for the eldest niece and the other niece will have the outgrown bike.
If we put the old bikes near the dustbins they will be gone in no time
ML.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

you can't beat cycling in the area that your van is in.You can discover so much more than if you were in a car.
Old 04-03-2012, 14:08

Well I was thinking that we were nearly there with all our purchases and expenditure but my list has now been extended with all the comments. Many thanks though for the help.
Old 04-03-2012, 14:12
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside21 View Post
Well I was thinking that we were nearly there with all our purchases and expenditure but my list has now been extended with all the comments. Many thanks though for the help.
my o/h loves to shop for the van,even though i think it,s already got everything.have fun.
Old 04-03-2012, 17:38

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside21 View Post
You never stop buying for the van lakeside.Just when you think you've got the lot,you spot another 'bargain' lol