Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 28-06-2012, 18:43

Default Making it warmer

I recently spent my first weekend in my new old van, and whilst I really enjoyed it I found by about 9pm it was feeling a bit chilly. Being of a frugal nature I didn't really like putting the fire on, are there any simple ways of making things a bit warmer? It's an old van with no CH, DG or under floor insulation.

Old 28-06-2012, 18:51

We found that shutting the curtains,and using oil filled radiator(s) (put in on before it goes cold outside),rather than the gas fire(caused the dreaded condensation).Also we put the eleccy blanket on early.
I also found it beneficial to put a timer plug on the OFR so that they came on in morning.

Hope this helps
Old 28-06-2012, 19:40
Supporting Member

not everyone will approve... but i do like to light a nice candle...
(and before you ask, yes it is on a proper candle dish and it is never left unattended)

i feel it just gives the room a warm glow...
i do put the gas fire on for a bit to take the chill off the room but then i get too hot and have to turn it off!

oil filled rads are good too, like tt says x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 28-06-2012, 19:44

Forgot to say ,we used a halogen heater instead of gas fire .
Old 28-06-2012, 20:25

as tt says I have oil filled radiators. My vans previous owners also fitted a little bi fold half door and some curtains over the doorway through to the kitchen so its nice and cosy.

I use elecy blankets during the night and set the timer on one of the raidiators to come on before I get up in the morning.
xx
Old 28-06-2012, 20:44

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi, as everyone knows, I have 'an old girl', and we use oil fired rads at the moment, its a much more gentle heat than the gas fire, and as tt said, creates less of the dreaded condensation. I haven't got timers on mine, but that certainly is a good idea. If you can get the type with a variable heat setting, and thermostat, you have more control over the temp. We also find using a dehumidifier (2 small ones) seems to have the effect that it's quicker to warm up dry air as opposed to damp air. (This is often debated on here, but all of us who use a dehumidifier notice a dramatic difference).
Simple things like putting on the rads as soon as you notice the temp changing, and closing windows and roof vents, closing any internal doors,, that way you don't let the caravan get completely cold before you try to warm it up again. (I have also seen in some caravans a discreet curtain track with a curtain to seal off the lounge area in the colder weather, done tastefully, it doesn't look too bad). We estimate our electric consumption at the moment to be around 2 per weekend, that's including using our warm blown air in the bedrooms and bathroom for around 2-4 hrs per day.
Gel insoles in your slippers help cold feet
We all have our own ways of dealing with the chilly evenings, luckily, it shouldn't be a problem for much longer!

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela M; 29-06-2012 at 04:30.
Old 29-06-2012, 03:10
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_77 View Post
I recently spent my first weekend in my new old van, and whilst I really enjoyed it I found by about 9pm it was feeling a bit chilly. Being of a frugal nature I didn't really like putting the fire on, are there any simple ways of making things a bit warmer? It's an old van with no CH, DG or under floor insulation.
If you don't want to put any form of heating on Mojo - wear a few layers of clothing and slipper/or slipper socks on your feet (often the caravan floor is very cold). I put my dressing gown on over what I am wearing too. Sometimes when it is chilly later on in the evening, we put a blanket over us whilst watching the telly. We have electric underblankets too - put them on an hour before we go to bed and its lovely and toasty - have never had to leave them on all night.
Old 29-06-2012, 09:30

Gas fire to get initial warmth then an old filled radiator to keep the heat. Curtains closed and curtains by doors with a draft excluder keep the heat in.

Also wear slippers extra clothing if you have to. But, please do not sit with loads of layers and no heating on as this makes the van pointless, enjoy it...get the heating on if you have to.

If you want to insulate then you can buy roll insulation for under the van, doing it yourself will save money. Also if you're allowed box the van in, again doing it yourself will save money and heat. Most heat is lost through the roof with large single pain glass doors a close second. Nothing you can do about the roof and walls-unless you strip the van to stuff more insulation in.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 29-06-2012, 09:47

Thanks for that, I've always been wary of electric blankets ever since one my nan had years ago started smoking! It was a long time ago though and I could turn them off soon as I went to bed. The oil filled radiators sound good, is there a limit as to the wattage I can use? Insulation might be an option too as would boxing in, there are a few other vans on site that have done that. Does it make a big difference? I've also got a big blanket to take with me this weekend and am in the middle of crocheting another, though it's an unending task! I even have some leg warmers....The external door has a curtain over it so I'll close that as soon as it starts to get colder. I haven't worked out how to operate the vents yet! There also seems to be lots of condensation on the bedroom window in the morning, anything I can do about that?
Old 29-06-2012, 10:03

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi Mojo, firstly please, NEVER EVER BE TEMPTED TO CLOSE VENTS! (I'm not shouting lol) they are there for a reason, and they could save your life. No matter how cold your feet get

You need to ask the site what strength your electric supply is firstly, that will affect what power oil filled rad you use. There is a list that bobsnobs did (help?) somewhere on here
The dreaded condensation (link below) try to remove condensation every morning, and dry frame with kitchen paper, air the room well for a while, or you will get black mould spores developing (easily removed with solution of Milton). I use a window blade with the window wide open, water runs down window and outside that way.
Skirting definitely helps to keep the floor warmer, as too will the insulation.

coping with condensation
oil filled radiators

Have a go at using the search box at the top of the page you'll find loads of 'winter tips' on there...

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1