Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 29-06-2012, 10:08

I use an electric blanket as our back bedroom does get cold, we turn it off once in bed. We are lucky in that we electric heaters fitted in the van but they are low wattage-400 watts. Try and get a oil filled radiator that has two heat settings this way you can get it warm on the highest setting and then switch down to the lowest to keep the temp. The problem is that you can overload the fuses with running two many electrical items-TV, heaters etc. Maybe turn off the heater while you boil the kettle then switch back on once it has boiled. Fit energy saving light bulbs or get just a small lamp. If you got a electric blanket then set on the lowest setting a couple of hours before you go to bed, it will use less power but should warm the bed up.

Ebay do small 400 watt heaters for 30, these are small and are made for the use in static caravans: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1404550934...84.m1423.l2649 this will of course need fastening to a wooden batton to the wall and the electrics fitted but you could get a couple for that price and leave on.

I did my van with insulation under the floor-60 for the rolls at B&Q-this is the double sided foil/bubble insulation and then I got a staple gun and stainless steel staples-do not insulate over vent grilles or around waste pipes or pipe entry-this I found out to my cost when the shower leaked-the water ran out and found its way under the insulation and so sat there The insualtion makes it cooler in summer and does make a difference in winter.

Use marine ply for cheap boxing in-150ish if you do it yourself.

Also get some rugs down as this helps to keep heat in and also makes it warm underfoot.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static

Old 29-06-2012, 10:12

Yes, vents should be left open at all times- a good airflow is essential.

Got to: http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk they do a small dehumidifier for 50, ideal for bedrooms, just type in dehumidifier in the top left box that says 'keyword search' . You will never get rid of condensation especially on single paned windows. As Anj says, mop up in a morning or try leaving your bedroom door open to help with air low.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474

Last edited by eddiesolo; 29-06-2012 at 10:17.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:39

Thanks for that, I read the links, I'll look into getting a dehumidifier then. I was going to get one for the house anyway as I have condensation problems in Winter (I must breathe a lot or something). There doesn't seem to be condensation anywhere else, just the bedroom. I do have a crystal thing, might take that up for now. Are the mini rechargable ones any good, one at each end of the van, or is it better to get a bigger one? I'm not sure what the electric supply is to the van so I'll have to hang fire on the radiators for now until I find out, or would it be ok just to get a 1.5kw one and move it to where it's needed?
Old 29-06-2012, 10:44

You should be fine in getting a 1.5/2 kw heater, get one that has a thermostat on it as this will click on and off as needed, just move it to where you need it, or get 2 and have one in the bedrrom on a low heat setting, again with a thermostat this will just keep the room warm. My mum has them rechargable dehumidfiers and she says they are okay for when the van is left over winter. I would get a larger one as that will help with all the van, again leave your bedroom door open slightly to help ventilate.

Si

Old 29-06-2012, 10:51

That's great, thanks for that, I'll probably be getting a radiator and a dehumidifier in the next couple of weeks then. Can anyone recommend either from Amazon, I have some Amazon trade in gift points to use you see!

Last edited by Mojo_77; 29-06-2012 at 11:06.
Old 29-06-2012, 11:12

another quick way to heat the van up is to light all the gas rings for about 10 mins, it's surprising how much heat they throw out and with heat rising it follows the roofline and warms the van at both ends.
Old 29-06-2012, 11:16

Might be making a lot of baked spuds and beans then!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_77 View Post
Might be making a lot of baked spuds and beans then!
haha - our cooker loses a lot of heat at the van (just the way it is), so the kitchen/lounge always feels a lot warmer when that is on.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
another quick way to heat the van up is to light all the gas rings for about 10 mins, it's surprising how much heat they throw out and with heat rising it follows the roofline and warms the van at both ends.
more condensationand a bill
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40

We spoke to owners from a site in Mold yesterday on our park.....they said that they had just paid a gas/eleccy bil for 495and that was with cutting back.....it seems that the owner of site charges loads and loads of money for gas availability,and eleccy and price for eleccy was a lot more than ours.....No wonder they were now looking to change parks,just to keep warm