Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22

We have visited a few times over the last 8 weeks and nothing untoward, we took a few things over yesterday as only 40 miles away and all was well, the water was connected and looked round and no damp anywhere, we have blinds throughout and no probs with them. Had a bit of a clean up yesterday but had to leave car outside the barrier as it was locked. The owner had cut the grass and as hard standing pitches and tarmac roads, no flooding despite a fair bit of rain lately. Looks like a few birds decided to mark the caravan so a bit of cleaning then. The Sky dish was where we left it, fastened to a slab at the side of the caravan along with several pots. We stayed with friends near the caravan last night so not far to go.
Hubby was up at 6:00am this morning rearing to go but have to wait till 8:00am when they open, guess he will be first in line when the barrier opens

Old 01-03-2015, 07:12

Hope everyone has a safe season and have a problem free time.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55

We were going today to drop off some stuff but the M56 is closed, and as we're there on Wednesday through to Sunday, have decided not to bother and will open up properly then. We've not manage to visit at all during close down for various reasons, so I'm a bit worried about what we'll find.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13

Hello everyone! Well we have been here since Friday when our site opened for the 2015 season and we are here until tomorrow (Monday). We didnt manage to come and see our baby over the winter (just seemed to be so busy) so I was rather apprehensive about what we would find. We neednt have worried as when we arrived the first thing we noticed was that there was a nice clean smell in the van with no noticable damp smell, and it was quite warm in the lounge (19C). We have a minimum/maximum thermometer and that showed that it has been a relatively mild winter with the minimum temp as -1.1C and max was 30.2C

The site has had a lot of groundwork done to try and find a large water leak that involved several holes being dug around the site. Fortunately the leak was found and all holes have been filled in! The grass is quite damp but isnt over soggy and we were able to park the car by our van as usual thanks to the slabs that had been put down by the site during 2014 season.

The outside of our van was grubby but was fine apart from a couple of spots of bird poo. Everything on the decking was exactly where we left them and all covers were intact (unlike last winter when the cover over the patio set ended up on Wellfed's decking 2 caravans away). Even the solar lights that had been accidentally left out are still working. The TV aerial was also exactly as we had left it

Getting the inside back to normal was an easy enough job as we had left the lounge furniture as normal (advantage of having loose furniture). We only needed the central heating on for a short time to get the whole van aired and cosy. The pillows and quilts that had been left on our bed in vacuum bags were cold but not damp and all the beds were soon sorted by pushing the mattresses back to the walls. Our first job was making up the beds and airing them using the electric blankets and they were snuggly warm well before bedtime.

All in all a very successful opening weekend. Its been lovely to meet up with our neighbours again after the winter break and I look forward to seeing Mr and Mrs Treetopper in the near future.

Good luck to you all and I hope you all manage to open up your vans without any major problems.

Last edited by Marianda24; 01-03-2015 at 14:07. Reason: Got the minimum temperature wrong- missed the minus off
Old 01-03-2015, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy52 View Post
We were going today to drop off some stuff but the M56 is closed, and as we're there on Wednesday through to Sunday, have decided not to bother and will open up properly then. We've not manage to visit at all during close down for various reasons, so I'm a bit worried about what we'll find.
All was Ok by your van when we had a drive round park last week....
Today we had a trip down, did not switch water on, checked ch all ok.Will have to get new wifi passwords when we go.

Marianda , no Internet access til we got home.....

Last edited by treetopper; 01-03-2015 at 13:28.
Old 01-03-2015, 14:13

TT. Phew! I thought you had fallen out with me as you hadn't responded. At least I can sleep soundly now. hope to see you soon.
Old 01-03-2015, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
All was Ok by your van when we had a drive round park last week....
Today we had a trip down, did not switch water on, checked ch all ok.Will have to get new wifi passwords when we go.

Marianda , no Internet access til we got home.....
Thanks TT. Looking forward to Wednesday, hope to see more of you both this season
Old 01-03-2015, 16:10

We paid for multiple drain downs so have been visiting every few weeks over winter. Because we visit and stay over regularly, we don't pack anything away or empty cupboards. So other than feeling chilly when we got there everything in the van is the same and okay: no mould or damage due to cold and damp. I have to change three of the smaller damp traps which were full. We have two dehumidifiers that we always switch on when we are there. The insulation in the Vogue (2010 model) is slightly thicker than most vans (100mls instead of 50mls), so this probably helps a bit.

As I mentioned on another thread, the Sky dish was damaged, but the Sky engineer fixed that last Tuesday. Oh, I forgot to mention that the Tefal toast n grill wasn't working, the booster switch wasn't functioning properly, so I drove up to the van on my own on Friday and took a new toaster with me. While I was there, I reset the recordings on the Sky box because everything we had tried to record had disappeared. It needed to be sorted ready for this weekend when we plan to stay for another four days.

We then have a decision to make: should we leave the van drained up so we can use it through March or do we let them go ahead with the final drain down and not drain up again till 3rd April. We seem to still be getting nights when the temperature drops below zero and occasional snow flurries, so we are erring on the side of caution and thinking we might leave it drained down.

One side of the caravan (the side facing north) is a bit green in the grooves, so it will need a good wash. We haven't decided whether to do it ourselves or pay someone to do it for us. Over March we need to power wash the flags at home and this is a five day job in itself. We've decided to do at home first, then see if we are up to doing the van too. This is a busy time of year!
Old 01-03-2015, 17:14
Departed Friend

while we were away 2 of the neighbours had to get security to check the van as they found our bedroom window wide open on 2 separate occasions.yet there is nothing missing and no damage...............very strange.
Old 05-03-2015, 16:36

As a couple of newbies, we were thinking about of taking a car load of kitchen equipment, bedding etc etc etc to our static over the w/end, and have bit of a clean & tidy up, hopefully to give us a start before the season's start for a couple of weeks.