Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 13-04-2015, 14:11

Thumbs up Selling a Caravan whilst on finance

Hi all,
New poster/member here looking for some advice.
I purchased a great static caravan, a 2010 Willerby Salsa two years ago via a well known North Wales Park.
Unfortunately I was made redundant and things have got a little difficult.
I am just finishing paying last years site fees which the park kindly let me pay monthly, but now the caravan has been disconnected and I have put it up for sale with the park.
I have managed to get back into work but am not able to afford both the caravan payments and the site fees.
Does anyone know what a three bedroom van of this type would be worth?
I have looked around the web but can only find a couple of parks selling them for 20k plus, I don't think I'd be able to get that for it!!
As the model is a Bourne Leisure special it does not appear to be in any price guides.
I even thought of moving it to a site with cheaper fees but I would imagine most of them would want an upfront fee, and with the van being on finance, that could also be a problem despite the finance company saying as long as I keep paying, it can go anywhere as long as I tell them
The problem is that the site obviously wants standard commission plus VAT if it is staying on the park, maybe an off site sale is an option?
I would be interested in any ideas on where to advertise the van or any suggestions on what I could do.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by nova01; 13-04-2015 at 15:14. Reason: Spelling

Old 13-04-2015, 14:49
Departed Friend

sorry to hear about your problem,i was suddenly made redundant 18 months ago.
unfortunately,i fear,you will lose a lot more than you expect.good luck.
Old 13-04-2015, 18:21

Generally with finance agreements as long as you pay the company they dont really mind what you do with the purchased article (within reason).
With most HP agreements you pay the interest first then the repayment - this means if you try to settle up early you will end up paying more than what the article is worth.

If you have made more than 50% of your payments there is often the option to "hand the item" back to the credit company and walk away from the agreement - you might want to look into that as a cheaper option.

I would seek some financial advice from say the CAB if I were you as to what might be your best option.
Old 14-04-2015, 10:18

Thanks for the above replies.
Does anyone know what the van would be worth as a private sale, or if there is any way I can find out?
Also, any ideas of the best places to advertise?
Thanks
Old 14-04-2015, 11:08

Could you let the van out to help finances? Would that be allowed and would it help?
Old 14-04-2015, 11:40

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova01 View Post
Thank the above replies.
Does anyone know what the van would be worth as a private sale, or if there is any way I can find out?
Also, any ideas of the best places to advertise?
Thanks
It's very difficult for anyone to give you an accurate valuation as it involves so many different factors
Age of caravan, spec, overall condition, DG, CH, equipment included in sale, any decking, position of plot (view/secluded), facilities on your park, size of park, popularity of park, then there's also consideration to question of public transport to park, nearest motorway, etc etc
You can't really compare one park to another for the above reasons.
There is a caravan version of the glass's guide for the trade prices, but don't expect a high price
Have you spoken to your site office? Are there any similar caravans for sale? Do they allow private sales? (there's usually up to 15% commission payable to the office from the sale)

I'm really sorry to read about your position, worst case scenario you have to sell for bottom book price, at least you won't have ongoing site fees to find.
Good luck

I'll send a couple of site owners a message for you, let's see if they can offer a rough price guide for you

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 14-04-2015, 12:06

I always give this advice.....sell van to site and walk away, as it saves all the hassle and you will not have to find site fees and any money you get will pay off your finance, or have months of advertising fees etc.for selling van private...Good Luck
Old 14-04-2015, 12:10

I'm really sorry that you find yourself in such a difficult position

Have you tried calling local dealers to get a price? That will give you a worst case, off site, price.

Try John as Lloyds on 01745 560279
The others are Simon at Caravan traders 07786 923256
Debbie at Premier Caravans on 07796 915 253

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 14-04-2015, 14:29

I concur with the above, get a couple of dealers in to give a price. If it's sold off-site be aware there will be a removal charge but it has to be reasonable. It's impossible for any of us to give a valuation as it's not in Glass's Guide, one thing in your favour though is dealers are short of second hand stock at the moment so are paying good money.
Old 15-04-2015, 19:45

Hi all, thanks for the replies.
I'm not keen on letting out the caravan, I've seen how some people treat the ones they stay in, but the site doesn't allow sub-letting anyway.
If I was to agree a price with a trader for example, what would happen with regards to the shortfall with the finance company?
Obviously I'd have to pay them, but would they let me do it that way?
I have tried selling it back to the site, but they say they have brand new ones to sell and they are the priority.