Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 21-03-2016, 08:30

Default What to use if no central heating ?

Ok, so lets say we buy an older van with no central heating. What do we do to keep warm ? What type of heating do others use ? I'm guessing from what others have said that to run C/H could be very expensive anyway XX

Old 21-03-2016, 08:51
Departed Friend

go for oil filled radiators,but remember to check with the site what output their electricity supply is on,because it varies from park to park,and you don,t want to end up tripping the electrics out on a cold dark wet night and having to go out and reset the switches .
I,m sure it will happen sometimes anyway,but you,ll soon learn what to do.when you are using a lot of power,the biggest enemy is the electric kettle believe it or not.
as for the c/h,if you do have it,it,s nice to put it on for an hour or so when you first arrive,and just before you get up in the morning,and a couple of times during the day/evening as required.
and of course the leccy underblanket on the bed is a godsend for at night.and it,s ideal to help air the bed out when you first arrive.
Old 21-03-2016, 10:46
Banned

yes mick we have oil filled radiators and they are good especially with timers when we first got our caravan the dreaded trip happened to us one night but luckily our neighbour showed us what to do.
as for the electric blanket its a godsend helps warm the bed through when you arrive and an hour before bed snug as a bug in a rug.
Old 21-03-2016, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaynor542 View Post
Ok, so lets say we buy an older van with no central heating. What do we do to keep warm ? What type of heating do others use ? I'm guessing from what others have said that to run C/H could be very expensive anyway XX
Think gaynor542, answers expected on this thread are mostly going to be covered on your previous one?

Regarding the cost of running CH in cold weather, that will depend on how much your site charges for gas. But you do also need to consider, most that have CH on at the van are possibly also saving the cost of not running the CH at home and may cost no more heating the van than heating the home? You may also discover that your site is cheaper on gas than electricity, so costing you more to heat with electricity than it would by gas. Also portable heaters need to be carefully placed, e.g. would it be wise to use one in the bathroom for instance?

You may decide that going without CH and DG is worth the risk, but once committed that's it really and you may just have to put up living with it and wearing warm clothes and a wooly hat like statik does, he is without doubt braver than me

Should not a caravan have all the comforts from home?
Old 21-03-2016, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaynor542 View Post
It will cost money but if you can manage it, I would buy a van with C/H and D/G. It's not going to be much fun if you are cold and miserable. I'm not saying that oil filled radiators aren't the answer but I have been reading lot's of threads because like everyone else I want to save money.

When my van arrives, I will be buying a digital thermostat and a an electric under blanket. Apparently the digital thermostat will cut gas consumption dramatically and as has already been stated, the electric blanket will warm the bed up a treat.
Old 21-03-2016, 13:47

I would not be without my electric blanket it's wonderful dual control under blanket.
We have three ofh and gas fire and manage quite well.
As we bought our van early January this year it was -4 some nights and the blustery storms we had were not for the faint hearted. Glad the worst of winter is over , we sat out in glorious sun last week .
Old 21-03-2016, 15:53

We have a 2011 Delta with no central heating. We have 4 oil filled rads and 2 fan heater. 2 rads keep the main area warm above freezing outside. Any colder the fan heater cuts in and out as needed. Not had a problem and the rads are not overly expensive to run.

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 21-03-2016, 16:36
Supporting Member

i used to have a 2005 Cosalt with no central heating but it was fine, the gas fire in the front room was great and then we had a few oil filled radiators for the bedrooms..
I used to have a hot water bottle or two in bed with me... and sometimes the cat joined me, he kept me warm

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE

Last edited by Tiamaria589; 21-03-2016 at 18:55.
Old 21-03-2016, 16:42
Departed Friend

our cosalt warmed up well with oil filled radiators and gas fire only blondie,but I think the insulation on the cosalts was far better than the vans of today.certainly the build on the cosalt was far superior to the cheaper end of the market new vans of today,
Old 21-03-2016, 18:55
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
our cosalt warmed up well with oil filled radiators and gas fire only blondie,but I think the insulation on the cosalts was far better than the vans of today.certainly the build on the cosalt was far superior to the cheaper end of the market new vans of today,
my Cosalt was a lovely van Mick, so I totally agree with you there
x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE