Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Static Caravan Reviews > IRM

IRM Reviews and discussion about caravans made by IRM

Old 05-07-2011, 15:36
Administrator

Default Super Octalia

Discuss and review the Super Octalia caravan here

Follow us on Twitter (Info)

Old 05-07-2011, 17:10

Default IRM Super Octalia - 2007

We bought our van at the end of the summer season in 2007, an off the cuff comment a sunny day and… But that’s another story – complicated and confusing as we actually set out to buy a van in Norfolk, and we only went to the site in Normandy as it made a good place to break off the road trip back from the Atlantic coast.

IRM is one of the leading French van manufacturers; they have a range that goes from one and half room short statics up to as big as you’d want with a fit out that’s amazing. Indeed at one point our van (mid to lower range I think) was actually better spec’d than our house.

We settled on a three bedroom centre lounge layout with large opening doors to take advantage of the summer heat and the planned deck. Also the thought of having the short people as far away from us as possible had its attractions. We needed a large seating area so I can sprawl and read my books out of the sun and a space for an indoor table as we like to eat as a family – a decent sized kitchen as sometimes I think I am Jamie Oliver. (I wish I had his money).

Our van came off the sales showground at the end of the season but was to all intents and purposes new. After three years of almost full time sub-let it is still in immaculate condition – I made a point of getting to know the staff on site especially the cleaning teams – not only are they great people but I like to think they maybe take a bit of extra care with the checkout.

The van has double glazing and a single heater in the lounge space. Floor vents exist in the toilet and kitchen cupboards – which keep the van at a nice temp. Everything works well and shows little sign of wear or tear – but then it is only three and bit years old

The two smaller of the bedrooms are mirrors of each other. There is not a lot of space between the beds but enough – lots of open storage and a wardrobe in each room. The master (ha) is only a little bigger than the bed but has a large wardrobe and a door to the shower / hand basin room. The shower is great really good size lots of shelves for oddments. The van is geared towards the centre lounge with the bedrooms as small as possible. The centre lounge / kitchen / diner is spacoious and airy – four windows and large opening patio doors. Ours is a pretty cheerful sunshine red colour combination which seems to be hardwearing. The cooker takes about twice as long as a normal cooker to heat things, but the fridge / freezer (half sized freezer) is superb – wine, beer etc… all cold.

Problems: The timer on the oven was pants, seriously when it counted down to ZERO it would go “Pin….” – IRM replaced that for us straight away. The windows have no locks, but the catches require you to press them before they will open. Just about every window handle failed in the first two years. But they were all replaced under warranty – indeed IRM sent the site a couple of tea chests of left and right handles. So I guess they must have had a bad batch. And er.. that’s it.

Ohh Apart from my boiler cracking over winter last year – but that was down to park maintenance; a few snottergrams back and forth and the site rolled over, admitted they had not winterized due to an admin error and put a new boiler in for free. They also replaced the shower taps as I guess they also froze.

My own maintenance has amounted to some white gloss modellers paint to repair the odd chip in a door, and a quart or so of deck oil, and some mould cleaner when I wash the van as it’s close to a hedge and goes green. I also take a set of Alan keys as the double doors “warp” a little in the heat and I’m pedantic about them being balanced.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/BarryD65/
Old 05-07-2011, 18:15
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Great review!

Sounds like the site and manufacturer are doing their jobs ...

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'